Post a reply

Snooker unpersonalities..

Postby randam05

Which players do you think have no character at all on the table (boring personality) and which have the most interesting character on the table. Just wondered cause people say theres no characters in the game any more and there certainly is but also a lot without. I will start off..

Players with no character-

Ding JunHui
Ryan Day
Ali Carter
Stephen Hendry
Marco Fu
Joe Perry
Dave Harold
and many more...

Players with character..

Ronnie
Robertson
Mark Selby
Mark Allen
Mark Williams
Ebdon
Dominic Dale
Graeme Dott?
Anthony Hamilton

Re: Snooker unpersonalities..

Postby Wildey

i don't agree with threads like these its the type of threads that can be used to find whats wrong in the game instead of focusing on whats good.

theres as much characters today than theres ever been man for man today as there was in the 80s.

jimmy white one of the most popular players of all time had the character of a wet weekend in Blackpool during snookers boom years that did not hold him back from being popular.

Postby randam05

I agree with you wild, but I just wanted to know which players people thought had an interesting character on the table compared to the rest. Cause quite clearly Peter Ebdon has more character than ryan day. Its an opinion really on what players you enjoy watching, not just for their snooker, but their manorisms and character around the table and off.

Postby Wildey

Yes Ebdon is a character as was Eddie Charlton in the 80s he was Slow but still a bigger character than say Jimmy White.

i dont think character has anything to do with How good you can play or Fast its just being different to the norm and ebdon is that.

personally i don't particularly like him he comes over as a bit of a goof in interviews where he tries to make out his season is geared towards the World Championship...sorry but thats bullocks he isn't Ronnie or Higgins he cant afford that Luxuries because hes not that good.

Postby randam05

i dont think character has anything to do with How good you can play or Fast its just being different to the norm and ebdon is that.

Thats why I started this thread, I wanted to know who people liked because of their personality not just their snooker, its not about how good they are at all.

Postby Wildey

i think Hendry is a character his Press Conferences after he loses is Legendary in it silence thats unusual and again different.

you dont have to be a all singing all dancing clown to be a character.

Postby randam05

Very true..

Where do you go from here?...WELLS.....

Interview after his match after the Masters earlier this year with his coat on ready to go! was funny..

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

randam, Hi. <ok>

You mention this "Which players do you think have no character at all on the table".

I think Mark Williams has as much personality on the table more than most players, pure adrenalin style. Off it? He's had a charisma bypass. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I think Mark Williams has as much personality on the table more than most players, pure adrenalin style. Off it? He's had a charisma bypass. <ok>

Ouchhh :john:

Postby Wildey

point is personality is what you make of them

having Ronnie clones isn't personality thats copieng...i find maguire dull because i find him a hendry clone and hasn't really got his own identity in the game unlike someone like Selby who has.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:point is personality is what you make of them

having Ronnie clones isn't personality thats copieng...i find maguire dull because i find him a hendry clone and hasn't really got his own identity in the game unlike someone like Selby who has.

im well known for my loathing of my fellow Scottish ( i use this term very lightly being an unpatriotic sort) players however i dont actually mind Maguire.

Id class him as more of a Ronnie clone than a Hendry clone. He has the similar "2 fingers up at the rest of the world" attitude to Ronnie and is either in the mood to give total effort or he doesnt give 2 hoots and just wants the game over and done with quickly.

Cos of this id say Maguire does have character as you never know what to expect with him, hes quite entertaining to watch even when hes in his seat and he expresses his emotions unlike a lot of the other players and is also prone to go off on one if things dont go his way.

Postby Wildey

whatever way hes a copy cat and thats the type that hasn't got a persanality

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:whatever way hes a copy cat and thats the type that hasn't got a persanality

hows Hendry got a personality then?

Could easily be argued that hes just a copycat of Davis??

Postby Wildey

thats just it people compare Hendry to Davis but as people as players they are as far away from each other as you can get the only similarities was they dominated their era.

Hendry was all out attack Davis played the Percentages...it makes me laugh how they are compared to each other as players.

Postby randam05

it makes me laugh how they are compared to each other as players.

Probably cause of consistency. But I dont see how you can compare any players really. Maguire does have a personality but expressing anger isnt my idea of good character, it can annoy me. Although it does show determination which is good.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:thats just it people compare Hendry to Davis but as people as players they are as far away from each other as you can get the only similarities was they dominated their era.

Hendry was all out attack Davis played the Percentages...it makes me laugh how they are compared to each other as players.

That's just it. I remember sitting in the back of the car behind Williams a week after he got beat against the great one in the UK after being 8-6 up, around 92/93 ish, (check wild if you can). I said to him "You ran Stephen Hendry close, what happened?" He replied "I potted 2 balls in the last 3 frames".

Andy Murray's just been broke in the 4th set. Lets see what your made of Andy. Do IT...!

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:thats just it people compare Hendry to Davis but as people as players they are as far away from each other as you can get the only similarities was they dominated their era.

whats their style of play got to do with it?? <doh>

were talking about comparing their personalities or lack of, not comparing their styles of play rofl

Hendry at his dominating best in the 90s had the exact same personality as Davis did in the 80s when he was at his peak. Singled minded and 100% focused, deadly serious, no humour and almost robotic like mannerisms making them both hate figures to many and classed as boring.

Postby Smart

Hendo only got some sort of mild "character" when he became rubbish.

However, ROS had character from the outset and still does today, hence why he takes the snake hiss in interviews or just talks bullocks for the fun of it (cos he can).

ROS 1-0 Sourface <ok>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:Hendo only got some sort of mild "character" when he became rubbish.

However, ROS had character from the outset and still does today, hence why he takes the snake hiss in interviews or just talks bullocks for the fun of it (cos he can).

ROS 1-0 Sourface <ok>

He has indeed developed a character that wasn't there 10 years ago. Remember him calling Davis a coward during their match at the UK last season. :ahh:

Postby Wildey

regarding personalities i don't think neither is boring..

you bought in to the media hype about them.

the charicter you see now from both of them was there years ago but it was never being talked or saw because the focus was always on how well they played.

in the 80s i used to think Davis was wooden but looking back now you realize what he was about then and the same with stephen.

it was easy to put the focus on Alex and Jimmy because they lost to this machine like person.

Postby The Cueist

wildJONESEYE wrote:regarding personalities i don't think neither is boring..

you bought in to the media hype about them.

the charicter you see now from both of them was there years ago but it was never being talked or saw because the focus was always on how well they played.

in the 80s i used to think Davis was wooden but looking back now you realize what he was about then and the same with stephen.

it was easy to put the focus on Alex and Jimmy because they lost to this machine like person.

Have just smoked a big fat one and i am confused at what you are trying to say wild. :?

Hendo has always had character,A very strong willed man,ROS the same though not as good at concealing his true feelings,For the greater good. ;)

Postby The Cueist

Been thinking about snookers un-personalities and i feel Steve Newberry never had one,Dean Reynolds,Steve Cannock,Alain Robidoux to name but a few. ;) :evilgrin:

Postby randam05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JgntfP ... re=related

(would only let me use link for this one for some reason)

This ones better..poor Alex! what a great sport to come out and play like that though..amazing, would never see that these days.

What is reardon wearing on his head at 1:12!!? Is it to test out his eyes for when he needed glasses to see what suited playing snooker most?

Postby The Cueist

:D [size=200]Randam[/size] ;)

Took the mickey,He should have forfeited the match by WSA sanction,For taking the prolonged snake hiss on every shot. <laugh> <laugh>

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:This is classic rofl

what's brilliant about that break he just knew Ronnie would be doing his nut and he played to his weakness and won. that what you got to do in snooker that what id do anyway without a second thought.