Post a reply

Speed of play

Postby DougFraser

Just curious what people's thoughts are on doing something about the speed of play? During an interview today, Neil Robertson (and Ronnie in agreement) made the point that something should be done - that players should not be allowed to take whatever time they want to "compose themselves" when they are being put under pressure by their opponent. He compared it to tennis where a player that just lost a big rally isn't allowed to take a breather :-) This is true of many/most sports.

What to do people think? I know, for me, life is too short to watch a full Peter Ebdon match! haha

Re: Speed of play

Postby SnookerFan

I don't think anything should be done.

Yes some matches are dull, but that's sport. No point adding a shot clock, that'll make all matches dull.

Snooker is already perfect as it is.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I agree with Snookerfan and would add that the referee already has the ability to act if it is felt that a player is abusing the time made available to them.

Postby rekoons

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think anything should be done.

Yes some matches are dull, but that's sport. No point adding a shot clock, that'll make all matches dull.

+1

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I don't think anything should be done.

+1

Postby SnookerFan

DougFraser wrote:Just curious what people's thoughts are on doing something about the speed of play? During an interview today, Neil Robertson (and Ronnie in agreement) made the point that something should be done - that players should not be allowed to take whatever time they want to "compose themselves" when they are being put under pressure by their opponent. He compared it to tennis where a player that just lost a big rally isn't allowed to take a breather :-) This is true of many/most sports.

What to do people think? I know, for me, life is too short to watch a full Peter Ebdon match! haha

By the way, good to have a new user.

:welcome:

Postby Ash147

There should be AST clocks available on display for everyone to see. If a player starts to take the snake hiss, the referee has got the visual evidence to be able to warn the player to speed things up.

Postby Iranu

I disagree that they should have shot clocks in the sense of a tome limit for a shot.

It's not like Ronnie and (especially Robbo) never take time to think of shots, particularly safeties.

I agree with Robbo's other point though that refs should ' nudge' players to speed up occasionally.

I think the refs should have a personal shot clock they can see rather than one that the crowd can see. If they notice a drastic increase they can then point it out tp the player.

Postby Cloud Strife

Robertson is a hypocrite. Has he forgotten about his own antics in 2010 World Championship final? There were some shots in that match where he took over 5 minutes to play something, and it wasn't an isolated incidence either.

Postby TheRocket

The current rule would be ok if they implemented it. There would be no need for a shot clock.

They should check out the Average shot time after each tournament and if you have a few players who are slower than 30 seconds in almost every tournament they should be warned or fined. I think that would do.

Yes there are scrappy matches and stuff like that but we all know there are even pros out there who are damn slow when the balls are perfectly spread to make a big break. Like Lee Walker for instance.

Postby DougFraser

thanks for the welcome SnookerFan :-)
Clearly, some shots do require a good long ponder but Robertson was suggesting some sort of mechanism to address unusually slow play or as a way of creating more "pressure" in the game when one player is on a roll and the other attempts to break their momentum by wondering around the table haha. Not a huge issue but referees don't seem interested in applying any sanctions as is, so perhaps some more formalized method should be considered. I suppose television, and even youtube audiences are a consideration from a business perspective - ie attracting and keeping viewers.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think that Robertson is wrong here.

Snooker is a finely balanced sport and they would be unwise to tinker with it. If they changed the rules to attract new viewers, they would likely lose more established viewers anyway.

A fast player faced with a slow player needs to have the mental strength to overcome these tactic s. If it becomes too much, the ref must intervene.

Postby SnookerFan

What did Robertson say? Was it after the final? I didn't stay for the trophy presentation.

Postby DougFraser

SnookerFan wrote:What did Robertson say? Was it after the final? I didn't stay for the trophy presentation.

It was not long ago but not after the Welsh Final. Robertson was asked, along with O'Sullivan, if something should be done about the speed of play/slow players and Robertson spoke up first agreeing with the need for some mechanism. I don't think he suggested anything in particular but did say that strategically, slowing down reduced the ability of one player to put pressure on another. Ronnie agreed with him in general. It seems like there are two separate concerns - the odd player that is just very slow on most shots - Peter Ebdon comes to mind so for that situation an average time per shot is a good way to at least track players. In contrast, other players that can take a very long time but only at key times during the game. It's tricky of course because you should be able to take more time when needed but I think Robertson feels that there needs to be some limit so a player that is being put under pressure can't simply play so slow as to intentionally ruin the rhythm of their opponent. As noted by many of the comments here, I don't think most devoted fans care a great deal about it. Probably more annoying to the players that want to get their long matches (especially in early rounds) over with and they see a player taking forever in pretty standard situations, or they are "on a roll" making nice breaks and putting their opponent in tough snookers and the other player just puts the breaks on. I suspect the business folks might want things sped up a bit as well but there was no mention of their opinion in the discussions with Robertson and O'Sullivan.

Postby SnookerFan

I never understood why deliberately slowing down to throw off your opponent was seen as a bad thing? If it plays to your opponents weaknesses, isn't that what your supposed to do in sporting? Why is it considered cheating and not strategy?

Granted it's not entertaining to watch.

Postby DougFraser

SnookerFan wrote:I never understood why deliberately slowing down to throw off your opponent was seen as a bad thing? If it plays to your opponents weaknesses, isn't that what your supposed to do in sporting? Why is it considered cheating and not strategy?

Granted it's not entertaining to watch.

It is a strategy but in many (most?) sports it is not condoned - or it is strictly limited. Of course, every sport is different and the significance of "time" varies dramatically. In many team sports there are only a limited number of "time outs" for example. There are shot clocks in basketball limiting a teams possession. In squash, play is "continuous" - you are not permitted to delay or leave the court without permission (say to replace a racket) and I think less than two minutes between games. Tennis is similar. I realize these are more about the physical fitness aspect of these games but even in chess there are clocks :-)

Postby Truth

On a completely unrelated note – I see that Selby, ROS, Williams, Higgins, Trump, Robertson, Allen and Ding are all on holiday.

It's good to see the Snooker Shoot-Out get all the respect it deserves. :mosh2: