Post a reply

Neil Robertson

Postby SnookerFan

So, where does this Welsh Open win leave him?

He's been out of form forever. But then again, he played poorly for a lot of yesterday.

He knocked in some high breaks early on in the week though.

Will he start playing himself back into form now he has a title?

Re: Neil Robertson

Postby eraserhead

He can take a positive out of how he closed the match out, but other than that he can't have enjoyed that performance much. If he was really hitting form that match should have ended 9-3 or 4.

He makes tons in early rounds but, I don't remember a win against a top player this season that made me think he's back to his best.

Postby TheRocket

I think ,with the amount of tournaments these days he'll win 1-2 rankers every season. Not sure if he could win another World title. He doesnt seem to have that consistency anymore to play to a high level match after match. Like he did around that 2014/2015 period.

Against Allen at the UK his pot success was 79% I think. Against Bingham he played very poorly as you say.

If he played like that against a top opponent, or lets say someone in good form at the World Championship he would lose sessions 6:2 or 7:1.

Postby eraserhead

He was poor against Judd in that Masters semi final as well. He's not looking great in the big matches anymore.

Postby Alex0paul

Will get nowhere near any of the big titles, certainly not the World Championship.

Postby Iranu

I feel like this has been his best season performance wise for a few years. He seems to have run i to players on great form a good few times, although it's telling that he can't come through those matches.

The Welsh Open drew him level with Selby on ranking wins but he's won, what, a third of the majors that Selby has? Says a lot.

His biggest failing was on show in the final. From 7-3 he completely went into his shell and played crazy negative, and he was only able to turn it on at 8-7 at which point in fairness he played a great frame to win.

Similar to Judd, his confidence at times off the table isn't matched by his confidence on it. You'd think he'd relish being able to destroy his opponent but he doesn't seem to be able to do this against good players unless it's in an early round.

He's a TC winner so must be considered an all-time great, but is a level or two below the true legends of the game imo.

Postby TheRocket

I'd probably consider him as a low tier all time great. Or Borderline great. He's won the Triple Crown but at the same time his record at the World Championship is quite poor. Won it in 2010 and hasn't got to a final since then. Best result since then has been a semifinal in 2014.

Postby HustleKing

I can see Neil getting to at least one more World semi final, or at the very least, a final in one of the other TC's. His big break building rate is still decent, and also the likes of Williams, Higgins and Davis in the UK 2005 final, came from nowhere to have great runs in the TC's

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think Neil should commit to his own style of snooker. When he tries to adapt it - like against Bingham - he often becomes ponderous and hesitant.

He should rely on his won talent and impose his style on his opponents, not he other way around

Postby DougFraser

I'm a Robertson fan. I think his game has looked pretty good this season. Making plenty of high breaks and with some pretty convincing wins. I believe he has won 49 of 65 matches for an 8th ranking so far this season. I think with so many high-quality players now it is not easy for anyone - with perhaps the exception of O'Sullivan (when he wants to) getting deep into a final as a "given". He may not have played well in the Welsh final but Bingham was just awful at times after making 11 centuries in the previous rounds. Anyway - I like that both he and Judd Trump seem to be on track again. If Kyren can continue to improve there is plenty of good viewing ahead :-)

Postby SnookerFan

DougFraser wrote:I'm a Robertson fan. I think his game has looked pretty good this season. Making plenty of high breaks and with some pretty convincing wins. I believe he has won 49 of 65 matches for an 8th ranking so far this season. I think with so many high-quality players now it is not easy for anyone - with perhaps the exception of O'Sullivan (when he wants to) getting deep into a final as a "given". He may not have played well in the Welsh final but Bingham was just awful at times after making 11 centuries in the previous rounds. Anyway - I like that both he and Judd Trump seem to be on track again. If Kyren can continue to improve there is plenty of good viewing ahead :-)

That semi-final Bingham had with Joe O'Connor was one of the oddest matches I've ever seen.

Even in frame 3 and 4 when he made a century, he missed easy shots early on before his opponent let him back in to make the century.

I've never seen somebody play so poorly, and yet make so many centuries.

:shrug:

Postby The_Abbott

I'm not sure. Played well until the Quarters and then 2 x crap Semi's and a crap final.

Maybe it was nerves.

I still don't rate his chances of winning the WC in May. I think Trump/Wilson/Allen have more chance.

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm sure Robbo feels there is more in him. Fom his interviews it looks like he's searching for keys and not sitting back. His last few WCs though have been pretty poor. He seems to be fading where he should be peaking. I think he's pulled out of the Indian so he might be bearing that in mind and going for the big Cheese!

Postby gallantrabbit

On that same subject, Allen has also pulled out. The tourneyy is the end of the month so that's pretty poor form although the date was put back. The pair of them are 1. preventing another tour player from competing and 2. failing to promote the game where it could become huge. Not good.

Postby The_Abbott

gallantrabbit wrote:On that same subject, Allen has also pulled out. The tourneyy is the end of the month so that's pretty poor form although the date was put back. The pair of them are 1. preventing another tour player from competing and 2. failing to promote the game where it could become huge. Not good.

At least they were held over matches so the two players automatically go to the Indian Open rather than have qualified and pulled out. That for me would have been worse. Andy Hicks benefits!

Also, how come Jamie Jones is in the Indian Open draw? Isn't he disqualified?

Postby HappyCamper

The Players Championship would understandably be a priority. The final of the Indian Open is on the Sunday in Kochi. The PC starts on the Monday. It's unfortunate, but not unreasonable from Allen and Robertson.
Last edited by HappyCamper on 20 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

The_Abbott wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:On that same subject, Allen has also pulled out. The tourneyy is the end of the month so that's pretty poor form although the date was put back. The pair of them are 1. preventing another tour player from competing and 2. failing to promote the game where it could become huge. Not good.

At least they were held over matches so the two players automatically go to the Indian Open rather than have qualified and pulled out. That for me would have been worse. Andy Hicks benefits!

Also, how come Jamie Jones is in the Indian Open draw? Isn't he disqualified?

The qualifiers were last Autumn before he was suspended. I guess there is no provision in the rules to gift his place to another player.

Postby gallantrabbit

Not really the attitude we want though. i guess when you've won the dough those two have won though...