Post a reply

Steve Davis.

Postby vodkadiet

Steve Davis has been saying Ronnie O'Sullivan is the 'GOAT' for about a decade now. Apart from 2011, when John Higgins won his 4th world title, and then Higgins was the 'GOAT' (according to Steve Davis).

Recently Davis has confirmed to anyone cares to listen to his warped opinion that O'Sullivan is the 'GOAT' because not only is he capable of reaching standards higher than any other 'green baize exponent' but because he has now won more major titles than any other player.

This is the same 'Steve Davis' that said after losing in the first round of the 1987 Masters event that "It didn't matter as The Masters is only a 'money tournament'."

The World Championship title is at least 5 times more important than The UK or The Masters. Davis knows it but his opinion is so biased that everything he says is suspect and every word that leaves his mouth is suspect and should be treated with maximum suspicion.

Re: Steve Davis.

Postby D4P

vodkadiet wrote:The World Championship title is at least 5 times more important than The UK or The Masters.

As someone who has only been following snooker for 2 years but has followed golf/tennis for more than 30, it is strange to me that one of the "majors" is treated as being so much more important than the others. I prefer to consider all of the majors to be roughly equal, with perhaps a little bit more prestige for one over another but certainly nothing anywhere close to "at least 5 times more important"...

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
The World Championship title is at least 5 times more important than The UK or The Masters.

It's more important than those 2, but 5 times? Don't be a fool.

That's your opinion, there's nothing written in the stars to say it's 5 or 10 times more important.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
The World Championship title is at least 5 times more important than The UK or The Masters.

It's more important than those 2, but 5 times? Don't be a fool.

That's your opinion, there's nothing written in the stars to say it's 5 or 10 times more important.

Okay Andre. But Steve Davis talks as if they are all on the same level of importance. O'Sullivan wouldn't agree. That is why he has never missed The Worlds but has happily missed the other events.

Postby SnookerFan

It's not like Ronnie O'Sullivan being the GOAT is some outrageous opinion.

Postby Wildey

Its Opinions at the end of the day lets not go down this boring path again maybe in 20 years Judd will be the GOAT or a player whos 8 year old today and will be 28 with 8 WC and winning a WC at 18. i doubt that will change the opinion of Ronnie Fans.

Postby HappyCamper

people sure do change their opinions over time.

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:Steve Davis has been saying Ronnie O'Sullivan is the 'GOAT' for about a decade now

There was an interview with Davis and Hendry in 2018, there's a thread on this forum about it. Davis was asked who would win between him and Hendry, both in their primes. Davis said without any hesitation that Hendry would win, and that's simply due to the fact that the game evolves and that the best of an era is always better than the best of the previous era.
In recent years, he has always stated that the standard has gone up, that snooker in depth has never been more competitive and that's what makes Ronnie the GOAT.
Whether u like it or not Vodka, Hendry faced weaker competition than O'Sullivan.

vodkadiet wrote: The World Championship title is at least 5 times more important than The UK or The Masters.

While I do agree with you that the WC is the most important event, it is by no means worth that much. I'd say that the WC is worth about 4 normal events or as much as the other 2 majors (Masters and UK) combined.
No more than that.

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:I love the Nugget.

In particular with Barbeque sauce.

Postby SnookerEd25

I would say the Worlds is 6.5 times as important as the Masters.

Maybe 6.7, but no more than that.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerEd25 wrote:I would say the Worlds is 6.5 times as important as the Masters.

That is about right.

Steve Davis talks garbage. He says The Worlds, The Masters, and The UK carry the same importance.

Wrong. There is only one major in snooker and 'it ain't The Masters.'

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I would say the Worlds is 6.5 times as important as the Masters.

That is about right.

Steve Davis talks garbage. He says The Worlds, The Masters, and The UK carry the same importance.

Wrong. There is only one major in snooker and 'it ain't The Masters.'

It's the Indian Open.

Postby TheSaviour

Yes, Steve´s right.

But I could do with a Earl Stricland vs Ronnie 9ball match. The ultimate cueist versus the ultimate cueist. With not much lacking from the playing / break-building visions either. Couldn´t tell at all how it would end. Who´s better now ? Probably still Stricland, as he could outdo or even outplay Ronnie during the tightest safety-VISIONS. But still, not even that necessarily quite good enough in order to put Ronnie away.

Postby SnookerFan

I find this GOAT debate incredibly tedious.

I, like pretty much everybody else, have opinions on it. But the only people who ever seem to want to discuss it are fanboys of Hendry, Ronnie or whoever else is in contention for being the greatest.

Davis, Hendry and Ronnie are all greats of the game. We can enjoy all their contributions to the game, without making too much of a willy-measuring exercise.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 14 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:I find this GOAT debate incredibly tedious.

I, like pretty much everybody else, have opinions on it. But the only people who ever seem to want to discuss it are fanboys of Hendry, Ronnie or whoever else is in contention for being the greatest.

David, Hendry and Ronnie are all greats of the game. We can enjoy all their contributions to the game, without making too much of a willy-measuring exercise.

Agreed. Also it's clearly Yuan SiJun anyway.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Davis, Hendry and Ronnie are all greats of the game. We can enjoy all their contributions to the game, without making too much of a willy-measuring exercise.

Good post.

Postby Iranu

This is no place to be reasonable dammit.

Postby Truth

The Masters wasn't too important, but then it became important when Hendry said it was important (coincidentally after he had won it for several consecutive years).