Post a reply

Re: Coral World Grand Prix Quarter Finals !!

Postby TheRocket

While Trump plays like a man posssessed against Ronnie and Selby, Higgins seems to do so against Trump. So I wouldn't write off Higgins against Trump.

Peaking in one match is always a possibility. I hope they'll meet in a multi session match, maybe again at the World Championship. Trump needs a big win over Higgins.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Ash147 wrote:If Judd were to win this tournament, would he be considered the player of the season so far?

It would be his 3rd event win this season, along with the NI Open and the Masters.
ROS has also won 3 events: the UK, the SM and the CoC.

So they both share 1st place as long as Trump wins this.
So far, ROs is still in front.

Postby Ash147

Judd's season so far;

Matches played 66, Won 50 (75.76%), Lost 16 (24.24%)

Tournament wins - Ranking 1, Invitational 1

Deciding frames - Played 7, Won 6 (85.71%)

Whitewashes - Played 14, Won 13 (92.86%)

Centuries- 55

Prize Money - 427,000

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:Judd's season so far;

Matches played 66, Won 50 (75.76%), Lost 16 (24.24%)

Tournament wins - Ranking 1, Invitational 1

Deciding frames - Played 7, Won 6 (85.71%)

Whitewashes - Played 14, Won 13 (92.86%)

Centuries- 55

Prize Money - 427,000

It's Phil Yates.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:While Trump plays like a man posssessed against Ronnie and Selby, Higgins seems to do so against Trump. So I wouldn't write off Higgins against Trump.

Peaking in one match is always a possibility. I hope they'll meet in a multi session match, maybe again at the World Championship. Trump needs a big win over Higgins.

Trump has never played Higgins with the type of Form hes in at the Moment.

Postby Wildey

HappyCamper wrote:
Ash147 wrote:If Judd were to win this tournament, would he be considered the player of the season so far?

No. Still O'Sullivan.

Of course he would be hes owned Ronnie in 2 finals and this would be his 3 title.

Postby Ash147

HappyCamper wrote:

No. Still O'Sullivan.

Judd - Two ranking events, plus the Masters.
Ronnie - Two invitational events, plus the UK.

I think Judd would be ahead, because he would have more ranking events than Ronnie. Also I think the Masters is the second biggest event of the season.

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:
TheRocket wrote:While Trump plays like a man posssessed against Ronnie and Selby, Higgins seems to do so against Trump. So I wouldn't write off Higgins against Trump.

Trump has never played Higgins with the type of Form hes in at the Moment.

Well depends. Maybe he never felt as confident as he is now but he played to a very high level in a few matches against Higgins. Shanghai Masters 2012 , World Open 2014, Scottish Open 2016. Even at the World Championship last year he was playing quite well.

Trump started off like a train and knocking in break after break but Higgins suddenly found another gear and overpowered Trump.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:I've just seen that Selby behaved like a right cockerel, throwing his towel on the table when Judd was finishing off with some exhibition shots. :no:

Really? Seems out of character.

What was it frustration?

Sounds like poor behaviour.

Postby Ash147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ash147 wrote:I've just seen that Selby behaved like a right cockerel, throwing his towel on the table when Judd was finishing off with some exhibition shots. :no:

What was it frustration?

I did post the video of it, but I don't think you can view it if you're on mobile. Here's the link instead;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spmXPO_4CI0

Postby HappyCamper

Ash147 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

No. Still O'Sullivan.

I think Judd would be ahead, because he would have more ranking events than Ronnie. Also I think the Masters is the second biggest event of the season.

Also consider that O'Sullivan has two other final appearances. Trump none.

Postby Ash147

HappyCamper wrote:
Ash147 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

No. Still O'Sullivan.

Also consider that O'Sullivan has two other final appearances. Trump none.

Which means Judd has been more consistent in finals. If he gets to the final and wins here this week, that will be a 100% record in finals. Impressive.

Postby Iranu

Judd didn't seem to care.

Not much in that in my opinion.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

No. Still O'Sullivan.

I think it would be neck and neck.

Masters is bigger than the UK, but I'd put the CoC and Shanghai above the WGP and English combined.

Postby Ash147

Iranu wrote:

I just don't like that sort of thing. As a fan I enjoy it when Judd plays those exhibition shots when the frame is over. I think Selby is just jealous that he can't pull off those sort of shots.

Postby SnookerFan

Ash147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What was it frustration?

I did post the video of it, but I don't think you can view it if you're on mobile. Here's the link instead;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spmXPO_4CI0

No, I saw the link, but didn't want to watch. Currently using Mobile Data.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I just don't like that sort of thing. As a fan I enjoy it when Judd plays those exhibition shots when the frame is over. I think Selby is just jealous that he can't pull off those sort of shots.

I'm glad Selby did that. It saved everyone from having to endure more of Trump's showboating nonsense.

Postby D4P

Pink Ball wrote:I’ve seen it happen a few times, and it’s meant as a sign of respect. You generally only do it if your opponent has been outstanding and you hadn’t a hope of beating them in that form.

I saw a different camera angle from the one linked above, and they both smiled when shaking hands and it was clear that there was mutual respect and no hard feelings.

That being said, it does seem like common courtesy in those situations to allow your opponent to finish the match on his own terms, without conceding and ending his break...

Postby Dan-cat

Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

This all day long. I love seeing those shots. Some ridiculous creativity on display as he works the spin and angles.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:I remember Higgins did it to Ronnie once.

The 2005 Masters final? I don't think Higgins threw his towel on the table. But placed his towel on his cue and raised the "white flag".
I remember that Selby did throw his towel in the 2009 Masters final against Ronnie.

I agree with Pink Ball though. Its more a sign of respect that your opponent was just too good.
Last edited by TheRocket on 08 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Ash147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Yeah I can understand that. But for the sake of two balls I don't think it matters.

If he'd done it with reds still on the table that would be a different story <laugh>