Topic locked

Ronnie withdraws from Shanghai

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/shanghai10_ ... tm?tid=169

O’Sullivan Withdraws From Shanghai
Defending champion Ronnie O'Sullivan has pulled out of the Roewe Shanghai Masters, which starts on Monday.

O'Sullivan, who beat Liang Wenbo in last year's final at the Grand Stage, was due to face either Jamie Burnett or Tian Pengfei in the first round on Tuesday evening, but gave notice earlier today (Thursday) of his withdrawal from the world ranking event. The winner of the match between Tian and Burnett will receive a bye to the last 16.

Chigwell's O'Sullivan also pulled out of last week's Paul Hunter Classic in Germany, suffering from a back problem.

That doesn't surprise me. I know many don't believe it but the back problems are real.

I suppose Ronnie will nonetheless try to honour his contract in PL tonight because of the impact a withdrawal would have (just one match, no replacement, last minute, live audience etc ... ) but I'm not expecting much.
In that exo on Monday they played only 4 frames and Jimmy won 3 ... even if Ronnie made a maxi in the only one he won, he was hardly at his best. But the charity was important to him and so he did it, people had fun and a good sum of money was gathered.

But there is a huge difference between playing a few frames and flying over the world to play a full tournament.

Re: Ronnie withdraws from Shanghai

Postby Casey

In this situation snooker has to adopt the system used in tennis, so instead of a player getting a first round bye put all the names of the last 64 losers into a hat, draw one out and that player goes to China….keeps TV happy and those who have paid for tickets.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Dave Hendon on Twitter....

Ronnie O'Sullivan has pulled out of the Shanghai Masters citing a 'back injury'. He will, however, play in the Premier League tonight.

Wondering whether I should change my prediction for tonight's match? :chin:

I'm gonna check the match odds too.....

Ronnie O'Sullivan 4/7 Draw 9/4 & Fu is 13/5

I'm still none the wiser. Don't know why I done it now. <laugh>
Last edited by JohnFromLondonTown on 02 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:Big shame but i'm glad he's making the effort tonight.

Bourne do you think snooker should start using the ‘lucky loser’ system? It works fine in tennis? Yea?

Postby Bourne

case_master wrote:
Bourne wrote:Big shame but i'm glad he's making the effort tonight.

Bourne do you think snooker should start using the ‘lucky loser’ system? It works fine in tennis? Yea?

What they do in non-slams is, come the final qualifying round, the highest ranked loser in that round replaces the highest ranked withdrawal from the main draw ... slams is literally an open draw of the final qualifying round losers ... I think it would work if there was enough time given between player withdrawing and lucky loser being drawn.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:In this situation snooker has to adopt the system used in tennis, so instead of a player getting a first round bye put all the names of the last 64 losers into a hat, draw one out and that player goes to China….keeps TV happy and those who have paid for tickets.

na case that tennis rule is bullocks once you out so long farwell get lost.

but i think there's a case of giving his spot to Daniel Wells top Amataur player in the PTC.

Postby Noel

Shame that.
Bad back, which so many of us have experienced, is like having been stabbed with a Fairbairn-Sykes.
Shame too about all the viewers and media interest that will be lost as a result.
To O'Sullivan, who is well aware of his special responsibilities to his sport, I'm sure that fallout is the
wicked twist to that blade.
Hope he gets the rest and proper therapy he needs to recover and return to form soon.

=o|

Noel
Last edited by Noel on 02 Sep 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Roland

You can't blame someone with a bad back not wanting to travel 12+ hours on a plane. I think everyone will agree with that.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You can't blame someone with a bad back not wanting to travel 12+ hours on a plane. I think everyone will agree with that.

yes there is a world of difference between playing in southampton for 1 night than flying across the world however it will be interesting to see how he bends down tonight :redneck:

Postby Casey

I certainly think they should use the random draw and put one of the losers through...far better than having no match at all.

They have deployed my student idea, maybe I should start copyrighting my ideas and selling them to Barry :john: :ahh:

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:I certainly think they should use the random draw and put one of the losers through...far better than having no match at all.

They have deployed my student idea, maybe I should start copyrighting my ideas and selling them to Barry :john: :ahh:

The random draw was my idea. I told my mate about it loudly in a pub in Croydon, then it was at the following Grand Prix. rofl

Postby GJ

typical ronnie

we have heard it all before

<laugh> rofl

Postby Roland

davehendon

I'm now told Ronnie's withdrawal from Shanghai has nothing to do with his back. Will try and clarify in the morning.

Postby Wildey

they have withdrawn it from the website

i think someone at world snooker. com cocked it up....

this was not suppose to be put out until after tonight so they will now have to look for another excuse this is very fishy now.

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:they have withdrawn it from the website
i think someone at world snooker. com cocked it up....this was not suppose to be put out until after tonight so they will now have to look for another excuse this is very fishy now.

Apparantly WSA does as good a job at Live News as it does with Live Scoring.

=o(

Noel

Postby gallantrabbit

Call me cynical if you like but never believed a word of it. If you pull out of one you pull out of another. Did he win and make three centuries in the premier tonight?? I think Hearn thought he could harness ROS and make him hi advertising champ. Hearn's only failure so far...

Postby Noel

gallantrabbit wrote: Hearn's only failure so far...

Are you kidding? Didn't you see the PTC's???

=o(

Noel

Postby Wildey

call me cynical

but possibly the plan was play tonight go jogging tomorrow and sprain his back but someone at WorldSnooker.com put out the story the day he was playing and they removed it very quickly..

nobody on the night on sky mentioned it which was suspicious in itself.

Postby gallantrabbit

Noel - ask the players if they think the PTCs are a failure. Ask Barry Pinches and Tom Ford... Not a failure at all. They are a work in progress, resulting from a promise from Hearn to give the players more earning/playing opportunities. I think they are a blinding success.

Postby Noel

gallantrabbit wrote: ask the players fans if they think the PTCs are a failure. .

Players playing without an audience is called a "dress rehearsal" mate, not the real thing!

Even the PL was a show.

I'm SUPER disappointed about how this new PTC age for snooker has dawned.
They couldn't even manage last years version of Live Scoring!
Now we move into "proper" tournaments... I anxiously await this...

=o\

Noel

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:davehendon

I'm now told Ronnie's withdrawal from Shanghai has nothing to do with his back. Will try and clarify in the morning.

WTF? This is getting very strange, if its not his back and he is fit to play....what other reason could it be?

Is he going to be a character witness for John Higgins at his hearing <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:davehendon

WTF? This is getting very strange, if its not his back and he is fit to play....what other reason could it be?

Is he going to be a character witness for John Higgins at his hearing <laugh>

Same reason that he's had for pulling out of the 107 other foreign tournaments he's pulled out of in his career. He hates travelling.

Postby Roland

Some of the things written on Hendons blog comments I guess highlight why people like Monique get so frustrated. He's been totally unfairly judged by people who wouldn't bat an eyelid if he behaved the same but wasn't as good at snooker. If he doesn't want to go to Shanghai then it's his loss. If he's got a genuine reason then fair enough. Either way the tournament will miss his presence.

Postby Casey

Well I can see their point Sonny, if he has pulled out because the event is an inconvenience of course they will be frustrated. If it was his back (which it looks not) then that would have been different.

Postby GJ

his odds on bet fair to win are shortening he was 15/1 last night now 7/1

what do they know

:chin: <laugh>

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:Well I can see their point Sonny, if he has pulled out because the event is an inconvenience of course they will be frustrated. If it was his back (which it looks not) then that would have been different.

Yes case but if it was his back they would nonetheless claim it's fake. What do they know about it actually? Nothing. But Ronnie is wrong "by design" in the eyes of some ... look at our resident aussie. They know nothing and they don't even give him the benefits of doubt.
When Ronnie had that injury last year, when he already was in Shanghai, and was seen by Chinese doctors, treated and went to win the tournament, there is no way it would have been fake, don't you agree? I know for fact that Ronnie suffers back problems, not all the time, but it tends to come back now and again once you have been fragilised by a first serious injury. I also know for instance that he's got feet problems (although this has no bearing on his snooker). Blame overdoing running and gym.
Now Dave seems to have been told there is a different reason. Let's wait and see how it develops.

As sonny highlights it's his loss after all if he withdraws.