6%
John Higgins
69%
Mark Williams
25%

Total votes : 16

Who will retire first?

Postby TheRocket

Which of the three legends (Class of 92) will retire first? And why? Is it because of poor form and a player retiring because of decline. Or can you even see a player winning the world title and retiring by going out on a high?

Re: Who will retire first?

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:Which of the three legends (Class of 92) will retire first? And why? Is it because of poor form and a player retiring because of decline. Or can you even see a player winning the world title and retiring by going out on a high?

I think that is very unlikely for any player. If u win the WC it means u are still playing incredible snooker.
Usually, when a top player retires, it's cause he's not a tournament contender anymore.

I reckon Ronnie will play until he's round 50, no more than that.
MJW will probably play for 2 or 3 more years.
And if he keeps playing this poor, JH will retire at the end of this season.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Mark Williams?

His career is a pub crawl at this point.

A pub crawl that looks like it requires some hefty funding.

I think he'll stick around a few years.

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Which of the three legends (Class of 92) will retire first? And why? Is it because of poor form and a player retiring because of decline. Or can you even see a player winning the world title and retiring by going out on a high?

I think that is very unlikely for any player. If u win the WC it means u are still playing incredible snooker.
Usually, when a top player retires, it's cause he's not a tournament contender anymore.

I reckon Ronnie will play until he's round 50, no more than that.
MJW will probably play for 2 or 3 more years.
And if he keeps playing this poor, JH will retire at the end of this season.

Yes I agree with this. Only thing I wanna add is that I'm pretty sure ROS wouldnt do a Davis or White and accept losing to journeymen in first and second rounds. Thats not in his nature.

So if he starts sliding down the rankings and if he genuinely believes he isnt capable to compete for titles anymore he'd retire in his 40's and not wait until 50.

Postby Andre147

I think MJW might be the first.

ROS will play until he's past 50 I think.

And Higgins is threatening to retire but I doubt he will.

MJW is laid back so when he feels its time to put the cue away he wont hold back.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Williams has been out of the top 16 before and missed two World Championship`s in the last five years so he has shown he can stay around even if he is struggling. Higgins and O`Sullivan have never had that happen and when it does they probably would go quickly.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Williams has been out of the top 16 before and missed two World Championship`s in the last five years so he has shown he can stay around even if he is struggling. Higgins and O`Sullivan have never had that happen and when it does they probably would go quickly.

:goodpost:

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie might retire the earliest, but his snooker will live on the longest. He has made his mark on existence like no other.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Ironically, I think Sullivan will be the last of these three to retire and will have one of the longest professional careers ever, up there with Davis and White

That wouldn't surprise me either.

I think he likes playing, just so he can threaten to retire.

Postby sas6789

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie might retire the earliest, but his snooker will live on the longest. He has made his mark on existence like no other.

I think your forgetting someone named Alex Higgins.

Postby SnookerFan

sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie might retire the earliest, but his snooker will live on the longest. He has made his mark on existence like no other.

He definitely retired before the other three.

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
sas6789 wrote:

He definitely retired before the other three.

pmsl :goodpost:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Ironically, I think Sullivan will be the last of these three to retire and will have one of the longest professional careers ever, up there with Davis and White

I agree Pinkey. Also ROS is the one who's most likely gonna be playing to a higher standard than the other 2 in 5 years time.
Higgins is fat and will decline first.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:SAS point stands though.

Higgins then Davis dragged snooker from the doldrums and into the spotlight.

In terms of impact on the sport, Alex Higgins is the greatest snooker player of all time. No one has done more for the game than him.
However, I don't agree about Davis. People weren't watching snooker because of him. He was very boring in his heyday, both as a person and as a player.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Johnny Bravo wrote:

In terms of impact on the sport, Alex Higgins is the greatest snooker player of all time. No one has done more for the game than him.
However, I don't agree about Davis. People weren't watching snooker because of him. He was very boring in his heyday, both as a person and as a player.

Yeah - suppose you are right JB but his demeanour did make people interested in the game because he was seen as a robot and they wanted the mavericks to beat him.

Added to the drama IMO

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Yeah - suppose you are right JB but his demeanour did make people interested in the game because he was seen as a robot and they wanted the mavericks to beat him.

Added to the drama IMO

Yeah, that's true.

Postby Ash147

It would be ironic if Ronnie was the last to retire, considering how many times he has threatened it over the years.

Postby eraserhead

Maybe Higgins if he doesn't find some form. I think MJW will be the last to retire.

Postby Cloud Strife

Difficult to say who will retire first as I believe all three of them will still be playing past their 50th birthdays. And that includes Higgins despite his recent 'woe is me' routine.

Postby Johnny Bravo

If ROS plays into his 50's, then nobody will beat his century tally.
He'll reach around 1500 tons if he plays into his mid 50's.

Given their age and given the number of events these days, Trump and Ding were on course to eventually surpass Ronnie.
However, if he plays for another 10 years or so, I can't see that happening. Ding will probably retire by the age of 40 and Trump will start declining real fast into his late 30's - early 40's given his poor cue action.