Post a reply

Has a player ever been forced to retire through injury?

Postby HustleKing

Has there ever been an instance where a player has been forced to retire permanently from the game because an injury picked up, either on the table or in everyday life?

I'm going to assume not, because snooker is less strenuous than team sports and less exhaustive than individual sports like tennis. Also, many players practice/train less in their twilight years in comparison to other sports, reducing the likelihood of a freak incident occurring.

But I have not been following the game for as long as some on here, so maybe something like this did happen to a semi-obscure player, especially in the days where players health was not such a concern.

Re: Has a player ever been forced to retire through injury?

Postby HappyCamper

Chris Small had to retire because of a spinal condition in his thirties. It was not long after he had won a ranking event.

I think Peter Ebdon is considering retirement this year due to persistent back issues.

Postby Ash147

I know Chris Small had to retire because of a spinal condition that he had. He was a decent player, and was consistently in the top 32. He even won a ranking event, knocking out Ronnie and Higgins, before beating McManus in the final. Good player, and if not for his condition would have won more.

Other than that you've got Jamie Cope who has a tremor. Although he hasn't been forced to retire, it's certainly messed up his career big time. He went from being ranked as high as 13 in 2010-11, to falling off the tour at the end of 2017. Another good player who could have picked up a few ranking events by now.

Postby Ash147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:http://www.worldsnooker.com/snooker-a-pain-in-the-neck/

It's not all that surprising really, let's be honest. The stance when playing snooker is not the most natural position for your body to be in, so to do that on a regular basis definitely can't be good.

Postby rekoons

Apart from back and neck strain, are there any players citing posterior knee pain?

I need to bend my right knee (i'm right handed) slightly, because playing with a straight right leg gives me terrible pain at the back of that knee the days after.