Post a reply

Re: Championship League Snooker 2019 !!!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I am not convinced by SightRight.

A good player is struggling badly, so goes to SightRight. Within a year their form improves. Is SightRight the reason? I do not think it is that simple. If you are a good player playing rubbish, then you will almost certainly have an upturn in form within that year. Also, how does it explain all the rubbish players on it's books?

I am more convinced by Roland as he made Snooker Island.

Yes, I am convinced it improves your game.

I remember Mark Williams used to hate on SightRight all the time on Twitter. He really tweeted a lot about how he couldn't believe it could help anyone and he made fun of the players who tried it. This was a couple of years ago..

The fact that Mark now uses it and won the World Championship, tells me there might be something to it.

Fair point HC - Mark Williams is the obvious one who supports it's benefits.

However, if you look at all the players that use it nearly all of their games have fallen apart since joining the team.

http://www.sightrightuk.com/tourplayers.php

I ain't saying it does not work but Mark Williams vs 8(?) other players is not convincing to my mind.

Postby Iranu

Is that current? It doesn't list Ronnie.

I also thought Dave Gilbert used SightRight. Maybe he's left.

Postby Iranu

Actually, it's clearly pretty out of date because it lists MJW as a 2x WC and 18 time ranking champion.

You'd think they'd be more eager to update their biggest success story <laugh>

You do make a good point though about the mixed results. Murphy and Fu I think have extenuating circumstances with their various personal issues but it's obviously not fool proof*.

* It's worth pointing out though that those other players just aren't great players (except Zhang Yong who I'm not really aware of)

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Is that current? It doesn't list Ronnie.

I also thought Dave Gilbert used SightRight. Maybe he's left.

Indeed he is. Unsurprisingly Feeney is wasting no time in publicising this fact.

Huge congrats to David Gilbert who joins @ronnieo147 @markwil147 & @GouldyBalls147 in #TeamSightRights147Club

Ps - just before the UK, SightRights #TianPengfei went so close to 3 ‘consecutive’ 147s against a Practice partner at @Vics_Snooker

https://twitter.com/SightRightUK/status ... 7212088326

Though including Williams in the "Team Sight Rights 147 Club" seems a smidgen disingenuous. Think his last maximum was eight years ago or something.

Suppose technically one of O'Sullivan's fifteen has occurred since he started with SightRight.

Postby Alex0paul

“It comes 20 years after he turned professional, and is arguably more memorable than reaching two ranking finals, the International Championship in 2015 and last year's World Open.”

Eurosport talking absolute rubbish

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:“It comes 20 years after he turned professional, and is arguably more memorable than reaching two ranking finals, the International Championship in 2015 and last year's World Open.”

rofl rofl

Postby Iranu

Alex0paul wrote:“It comes 20 years after he turned professional, and is arguably more memorable than reaching two ranking finals, the International Championship in 2015 and last year's World Open.”

He'll be remembered more for it than the two finals.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I don't even know how the Championship League works so I looked up the format on the Matchroom website and I still don't understand it.

Seven groups of seven players produce seven winners who play in one further group to determine the winner of the Championship League.
In each group every player will play each other once in a best of five frame match (21 matches) after which the top four players will contest in the play offs; semi finals and final over the best of five frames.
Players will be awarded one point for each match won, then most frames won and the least frames lost in the league series will determine their position in the league table. Dead frames will not be played in either the league or knock-out stages.
The play-off winner will progress to the Winners’ Group of Championship League Snooker while the players coming sixth and seventh in the group will be relegated and will not feature in any further group matches.
Therefore after the group has played its total 24 matches (21 League matches plus play offs semi finals and final) three players will leave and be replaced by a further three players for the next group

Postby HappyCamper

It seems fairly simple; if somewhat silly.

There is a normal group stage of seven where all the players play each other once. Ranking in the group is by number of matches won, with most frames won then least frames lost as tie-breakers. The top four from the group then play a semi-final and final competition to determine the overall winner who qualifies for the winners' group. The four next best ranked players (ie the runner-up, beaten finalist, and 5th place from the group) proceed to the next group phase, where they are joined by three new participants. The bottom two ranked players are eliminated.

This repeats until they have a full compliment of seven for the winner's group. This is played with the same rules, except the winner is crowned overall champion and takes their rightful place in the Champion of Champions event!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

HappyCamper wrote:It seems fairly simple; if somewhat silly.

There is a normal group stage of seven where all the players play each other once. Ranking in the group is by number of matches won, with most frames won then least frames lost as tie-breakers. The top four from the group then play a semi-final and final competition to determine the overall winner who qualifies for the winners' group. The four next best ranked players (ie the runner-up, beaten finalist, and 5th place from the group) proceed to the next group phase, where they are joined by three new participants. The bottom two ranked players are eliminated.

This repeats until they have a full compliment of seven for the winner's group. This is played with the same rules, except the winner is crowned overall champion and takes their rightful place in the Champion of Champions event!

Thank you sir.

I understand it better now by thinking of it as an elimination event.

Postby TheRocket

Have seen 2 or 3 matches of Hawkins so far in the CL league. He's been playing like a machine. I'm sure this is how he plays in practice. He must be in his Beast mode all the time.

Would be good though if he played like this in a World semi final for a change and didnt get humiliated or lose matches with a session to spare.

Postby Cloud Strife

It's a pity Jimmy White never plays in this. The conditions are so much like they are in practice, he'd be my favourite to win it every year.

Must also surely be one of the reasons Judd Trump usually does so well in it.

Postby eraserhead

Dan-cat wrote:David Gilbert just made the 147th 147, at the championship league. Hoopla!

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo