Post a reply

Masters Wildcards

Postby Alex0paul

I think the Masters should bring back wildcards now tbh. Its outdated now with the Players Championships and Tour Championships and not as prestigious as it once was.

Re: Masters Wildcards

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:I think the Masters should bring back wildcards now tbh. Its outdated now with the Players Championships and Tour Championships and not as prestigious as it once was.

No they shouldn't.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I think the Masters should bring back wildcards now tbh. Its outdated now with the Players Championships and Tour Championships and not as prestigious as it once was.

No they shouldn't.

Why not?

Postby Pink Ball

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

No they shouldn't.

Why not?

Because this fraud of a tournament is beyond reproach

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

One of the benefits of the way it is now is that the tournament now begins in the afternoon with a big match. The last three Masters have all had fairly dramatic starts. If Wildcards came back you'd have to start with a low-key match at ten o'clock in the morning which I doubt would appeal to TV.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

No they shouldn't.

Why not?

They were just an excuse to put Jimmy in every year. They ain't really missed.

Postby HappyCamper

I quite liked what the Shanghai Masters did with the wild-cards for some Chinese players.

Postby Cloud Strife

I don't see anyone who would be wildcard worthy out of the current bunch, tbh. Who exactly would you give it to? Anyone who should be there is already in it.

In the past you had Alex and Jimmy. Hendry might have got one if he had stick around and I suspect they'll bring them back, and rightly so, if Ronnie ever drops out of the top 16. Other than that there isn't any need for them, imo.

Postby Alex0paul

Jimmy Robertson?

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Jimmy Robertson?

Good shout

Trust you to take out your sausage anytime Jimmy Robertson is mentioned. :roll:

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Jimmy Robertson?

Good shout

Trust you to take out your sausage anytime Jimmy Robertson is mentioned. :roll:

Pot Kettle <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

Wildcards for this event only made sense with the archaic two year ranking system. Now the top 16 is bng up to date up till the last tournament before the Masters.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:Invite the top four players in the world, the defending champion, the world champion and two wildcards.

Not elite enough. Too many riff-raff making up the numbers.

Postby Cloud Strife

Let's have a tournament where only the world number 1 gets invited. They can play a best of 75 frame match against themselves. Can't get any more elite than that, surely?

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:Let's have a tournament where only the world number 1 gets invited. They can play a best of 75 frame match against themselves. Can't get any more elite than that, surely?

I think even 75 frames of Ronnie O’Sullivan could get boring

Postby Iranu

There should be a WN1 vs World Champion match every season.

Postby HappyCamper

Has anyone listened to that podcast Me1 Vs Me2 l, where comedian Richard Herring played himself at snooker? It could work.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Let's have a tournament where only the world number 1 gets invited. They can play a best of 75 frame match against themselves. Can't get any more elite than that, surely?

I think even 75 frames of Ronnie O’Sullivan could get boring

As long as it's the best playing the best, I don't really mind.

Postby Alex0paul

Iranu wrote:There should be a WN1 vs World Champion match every season.

Like the Community Shield?

Postby Iranu

Exactly. And just as insignificant.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The last year they had wildcards Jimmy White got in due to appearing on reality tv and came out to "Money for Nothing" by Dire Straits. The crowd were all pumped up and then he lost 6-2 to Mark King.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:There should be a WN1 vs World Champion match every season.

What if it's the same person?