73%
Safety Battle
No votes
Mind Games
13%

Total votes : 15

What is youre ideal Snooker Match ?

Postby Wildey

What Are People Looking for in the ideal snooker match ?

Break building
Drama (unexpected misses etc)
Safety Battle
Mind Games

im not going to poll mixture thats a cop out i want to know whats your no 1 preference.

Re: What is youre ideal Snooker Match ?

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:All of the above <ok> the best game of all time have a mixture of each.

come on fence sitter i got a gun at your head CHOSE 1 :)

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:All of the above <ok> the best game of all time have a mixture of each.

come on fence sitter i got a gun at your head CHOSE 1 :)

I can't! I love a nice tense safety frame that hangs in the balance for forty minutes, but I couldn't stay watching that frame after frame. A smoothly constructed century every now and then needs to be in there. Missed pots at crucial stages often make great matches even greater (White 1994), and I love mind games (Selby-Ronnie)

With all that taken into account, Selby-Ronnie 2010 Masters final was pretty close to the perfect game.

Postby Bourne

Drama every time. I respect big breaks a lot but point is, there are very rarely 'omg' breaks these days which astound me tbh, i much prefer seeing players fight against their nerves and miss everything when it goes down to the colours. Even better if there is a pressure comeback.

Postby randam05

Agreed tubberland. That match selby-ronnie was very close to perfect. Another I enjoyed a lot was the Ronnie-hendry semi final WC 2008.

Postby Monique

There will be death on this site ...
I can't chose neither, it's all of it. Me probably I don't like mind games too much though; well for me there is a fine line between "mind games" that are part of any sport, and gamesmanship, a line that some players tend to cross too often.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:There will be death on this site ...
I can't chose neither, it's all of it. Me probably I don't like mind games too much though; well for me there is a fine line between "mind games" that are part of any sport, and gamesmanship, a line that some players tend to cross too often.

:gun: :angry: :gun: :angry: :gun: :angry: :)

Postby Smart

Sorry but the way the thread is set up with a poll its like a trap................

if you choose breakbuilding - then you are not a lover of safety, tension, mind games

if you choose safety - then you are not a lover of breakbuilding, tension, mind games

Most people will want an element of all of these ingredients to fulfill their snookering needs.

Me personally I always marvel at great breakbuilding, manoeuvring the cue ball around the table to maximum effect, taking what is there and if needed make a telling safety. With that said though I love nothing better than a real struggle type match where both players cannot fully find their form and it becomes more of a battle. Its these sort of matches where you see the mental side of the game more. Who can raise their game, who will do "whatever" to get over the line. I also love matches that have several frames that are decided on the colours. I love a safety battle on the colours with one player trying to lay the snooker and the other (repeatedly) trying to escape.

With snooker there are so many possibilities - and you will never (NEVER) get the same frame .............its impossible - FACT.

:shake: :sylvester: :wave:

Postby Wildey

yes its a trap sue me <laugh>

its just showing what people prefer lol

ive not even voted on it or gave my opinion.

Postby Smart

This thread gives even more reason to back up my longer format argument. In the longer format tournaments there is more chance to see great safety battles, mind games, tension and blow for blow breakbuilding battles.

In the World Champs .....................you get it all. <ok>

Postby Wildey

thats the reason i did not include combination of all because there wouldnt be any point that would win hands down.

currently on TSF

Breakbuilding 8
Drama 10
Safety 1
Mind Games 2

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:thats the reason i did not include combination of all because there wouldnt be any point that would win hands down.

currently on TSF

Breakbuilding 8
Drama 10
Safety 1
Mind Games 2

yeah I can see why drama is winning, cos why would you not want to watch something that gave you great drama................snooker does this more times than not.

If you choose mind games or even saftey (in some peoples eyes) then you are saying you are a fan of watching some sort of cruelty or suffering (to a lesser extent with safety).

I think the best matches have a combination of all of the above. I mean a best of 19 frame match with very poor breakbuilding but buckets of drama would not be the same as a best of 19 frame match with average quallity breakbuilding but some brilliant tension/drama in the final session. You need a nice mixture IMHO. <ok>

Postby Wildey

yes but the 1985 world final had poor quality but plenty of drama in the final session and its stil regarded as 1 of the best matches of all time Quality of play id struggle to put it in the top 100.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but the 1985 world final had poor quality but plenty of drama in the final session and its stil regarded as 1 of the best matches of all time Quality of play id struggle to put it in the top 100.

I don't associate that final as being quality snooker. I call it very tense, very absorbing, brilliant viewing. But like you said it would struggle to make top 100 of all time ......................

In fact if Davis had not missed the cut back on the black it would just of been another final. <ok>

Postby Wildey

ok ill ask another Question.

Whats the best.

Poor Quality and Plenty of Tension and Drama or Breakbuilding Masterclass with no tension or Drama ?

obviously Breakbuilding Masterclass with tension and drama would win for me as im sure everyone but thats not the Question ;)

Postby Smart

oops a double post, please delete one. <ok>

I think this is a tricky one. It depends HOW poor the poor quality match is. I mean you could pop down the local Rileys and watch a real poor quality match but what is it that brings the tension. Is it the fact that the misses are unexpected, if so watching 2 amateurs down the Rileys missing just about everything is not gonna be very dramatic - cos they are doing what you expect them to.

I think the reason that most people are really enjoying the ROS vs Selby encounters (especially the Masters final) is that the match up provides great quality, but the misses are unexpected, the frames can become disjointed, and there is obvious tension (needle). Both can breakbuild to a high standard.................. Both can play great safety...........so all boxes are ticked.

IF we get a couple (at least) World Champs finals with them 2 in we will be very very lucky and priviledged. <ok>

Postby Roland

I agree. The last two Masters finals between Ronnie and Selby are what makes for the best snooker matches to watch.

Postby Casey

Davis v Higgins on the whole was poor quality but was one of the best matches at the tournament.

The thought of a heavy favourite being put under pressure or losing (closely) all helps to make the match better.

Postby Roland

Selby v Dott was my favourite match at this years Worlds. I can't remember much of Selby v Ronnie apart from the first session when I was there, it's all a bit of a blur because I was so bloody nervous watching it. I still can't believe he pulled it off. And Dott v Allen was another good match too, fast and furious break building style.

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:Davis v Higgins on the whole was poor quality but was one of the best matches at the tournament.

The thought of a heavy favourite being put under pressure or losing (closely) all helps to make the match better.

it was great but has been severely soured by events that quickly followed.....................my thoughts on that match are no longer what they were. <ok>

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Selby v Dott was my favourite match at this years Worlds. I can't remember much of Selby v Ronnie apart from the first session when I was there, it's all a bit of a blur because I was so bloody nervous watching it. I still can't believe he pulled it off. And Dott v Allen was another good match too, fast and furious break building style.

I was watching the Selby/ROS match and the Dott/Allen match which I had Sky+ from this years world champs...........

Totally different types of matches. Both enthralling. <ok>

Postby randam05

This thread gives even more reason to back up my longer format argument. In the longer format tournaments there is more chance to see great safety battles, mind games, tension and blow for blow breakbuilding battles.

<ok> nice one.

Another match I enjoyed was the selby ronnie semi final of the 07 UK Champs. They seem to produce some good clahes at the moment. The Masters finals and their quarter final? at this years worlds along with the 07 UK. PLus their premier league final and matches at the PL last season and season before.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:

<ok> nice one.

Another match I enjoyed was the selby ronnie semi final of the 07 UK Champs. Theyseem to produce some good clahes at the moment. The Masters finals and their quarter final? at this years worlds along with the 07 UK. PLus their premier league final and matches at the PL last season and season before.

i was at that Semi Final and i can confirm it was electric in that arena watching that semi.

Postby randam05

Oh lucky you! jealousy all round I think. That must have been amazing to watch the 147 in the decider! you must have been nervous watching that.

Postby Roland

Yeah I remember you going because you said Ronnie's 147 was easy and it was harder not to make it than it was to make it :redneck:

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Oh lucky you! jealousy all round I think. That must have been amazing to watch the 147 in the decider! you must have been nervous watching that.

Selby was all over Ronnie in the match but Ronnie showed fight in it and just hung on and hung on and to make a 147 in the decider after not being that fluant was brilliant but i must say after red black and another red i thought the 147 was on Pressure aside obviously.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yeah I remember you going because you said Ronnie's 147 was easy and it was harder not to make it than it was to make it :redneck:

<ok> <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Come to think about it that is my ideal match where one player is obviously playing better than the other but by hook or by crook the other player stays close to him and keeps his chances of winning still alive.