Post a reply

Germany Will Host Ranking Event

Postby Alex0paul

Apart from musical walk-ons and obtaining an 11th-hour sponsor it is too soon for Barry Hearn's influence as the new chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association to be widely felt but much has been happening backstage, notably a meeting with ­independent promoters. This has produced a new avowal of common cause and a shortly to be announced calendar that will include a ranking event in ­Germany, one of the game's greatest growth areas, which has been nurtured for several years by Shaun ­Murphy's manager, Brandon Parker.

"Independent promoters on their own don't have the money to do it," said Hearn, promising financial support. "Television ratings on Eurosport are spectacular. Other European broadcasters are interested. We're ready to play a part.

"I don't mind spending money and ­perhaps taking a loss to start with if I can see a profit at the end of it. By the same token we won't be supporting a ranking event in Malta anymore because there's no potential for growth there."

Even the Welsh Open will have to do ­better: "We lose £200,000 a year on it." It has not had a sponsor since the ­government banned tobacco sponsorship seven years ago although, even a mere 10 days before the event, Hearn hopes to find one. World Series, founded by John ­Higgins, the world champion, and his manager, Pat Mooney, will be supported by WPBSA. "I see it as our battering ram into new ­territories that aren't ready for a full ranking event," said Hearn.

Small field tournaments featuring leading players and local heroes have already been staged in Berlin, Warsaw, Moscow, Prague and the Algarve and Jeddah is to host one in March.

Mooney and Parker felt that the previous regime's lack of encouragement for their projects amounted at times to obstruction. Both played leading roles in the coup at December's annual general meeting that led to Hearn's livelier and far more inclusive approach.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ja ... rs-snooker

Re: Germany Will Host Ranking Event

Postby Wildey

"I see it as our battering ram into new territories that aren't ready for a full ranking event," said Hearn.

ive been saying that since the first time i herd about the world series and still no development by the previous regime in those areas...

lets see how fast barry hearn can make something happen.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Dave Hendon said a couple of months ago (before Hearn came in) that it was "99% certain" that there would be a seventh ranking event this season. He then said tonight that the Welsh Open starts a week on Monday which is earlier than last year and leaves a big gap until the China Open. Theres a chance it might happen this season although I wouldn't count on it.

Postby Alex0paul

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Dave Hendon said a couple of months ago (before Hearn came in) that it was "99% certain" that there would be a seventh ranking event this season. He then said tonight that the Welsh Open starts a week on Monday which is earlier than last year and leaves a big gap until the China Open. Theres a chance it might happen this season although I wouldn't count on it.

Apparently the last board were trying to get an event on in the snooker hotbed that is Malta.

Postby Eirebilly

StalinESQ wrote:Munich is fantastic place to visit. I hope this helps. :wave:

Munich would be the better choice but i can see them holding it in Potsdam near Berlijn.

Postby NedB-H

eirebilly wrote:

Munich would be the better choice but i can see them holding it in Potsdam near Berlijn.

I'd like it to be near the Belgium border, Aachen or Cologne, to hook up with the snooker fanbase in Belgium or Holland...

hope they have a WC round and give one to Brecel.

Postby Wildey

NedB-H wrote:hope they have a WC round and give one to Brecel.

that my friend is a nailed on certainty. and so it should be.

however for china events i think the wild card round is no longer relevant.

Postby Eirebilly

NedB-H wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

I'd like it to be near the Belgium border, Aachen or Cologne, to hook up with the snooker fanbase in Belgium or Holland...

hope they have a WC round and give one to Brecel.

It would have ben better to hold this tournement nearer the borders yes. There is a huge fanbase in Belgium and Holland and i think that Mr Hearn knows this so its only a matter of time i think.

Postby Witz78

i wouldnt be adverse to it being held in Munich, one of my favourite European cities :cheers:

i agree Brecel should get a wildcard into a European event.

I also think he should be given a wildcard onto the tour for next season, even though hell only be 15 next season.

He qualified by right for this season but wasnt allowed on as hes only 14, yet is there really any difference to him being on the main tour, to playing in countless pro-ams and tournaments all around the world anyway?

If hes good enough, hes old enough.

Other sports welcome young talent in with open arms, tennis for example. The silly argument he has to complete his education first is a nonsense, this could easily be accomodated alongside his snooker career.

Im sure its something Hearn will consider when issuing out the wildcards at the end of the season.

Postby Tubberlad

I think the problem Judd Trump has had is that he wasn't aloud onto the tour due to the matter of age. He was good enough, and I think it has stifled him.

Brecel is another exceptional talent, would be a shame to see him fall by the wayside.