Post a reply

Re: Is Mark Allen the greatest NI player?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:Second greatest. That’s as high as he will go. He is miles behind Alex Higgins.

I agree - he is way behind.

Perhaps even third after Taylor though no lower. Swail is the only other contender for third and Allen is better IMO

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Comfortably third at present

If he wins the Worlds he might go 2nd, but can't see him winning more than 1 World Title.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Second greatest. That’s as high as he will go. He is miles behind Alex Higgins.

I agree - he is way behind.

Perhaps even third after Taylor though no lower. Swail is the only other contender for third and Allen is better IMO

Mark Allen is a far superior player to Joe Swail.

Postby Johnny Bravo

In terms of the standard at which one can play the game, Allen is better than any other NI player before him.

However, the most important factor in assessing greatness is achievements. Alex Higgins is still miles in front of any other NI player in that department.
Another huge factor is impact on the game. Alex has probably done more for the game than any other player in history.

Alex is still miles in front of any other NI player.

1. Alex Higgins
2. Mark Allen
3. the annoying old fart Taylor

Postby TheSaviour

Obviously one could state it is either Mark Allen or the late Alex Higgins. Stating either one, and you could have an another ideas tomorrow. Much about life is just about staying out of the troubles. Today it might feel Alex Higgins, but perhaps there will be more "facts" or just something and tomorrow it will feel that Mark Allen is better. Or the greatest player, just as you wan´t to have it.

They say that everything is possible. But doesn´t it also mean that everything is impossible...? If everything really is possible. Or should it read that EVERYTHING is possible, and only then it would mean that everything is impossible, also..? But that´s much about how "liberal" one is. What are the values ? AND reading something, and tomorrow you will most likely read something else, perhaps sadly something more depressing. Regardless how wise you ever are or would be.

Staying out of the troubles, even when it would mean less prospects.

That means Alex Higgins could be the one in NI. He certainly didn´t use all the prospects there were on the offering, there could had been, because of his troubles and issues with the alcohol. And Alex was a lesser player, not the (almost) whole package as Mark Allen obviously is.

Having a bit of an efforts doesn´t mean you are or would be using all the prospects there are on the offering. Work hard, and nothing is lost. Work hard with the computer and the social networks of yours and there you go. Perhaps no prospects, but eventually receiving what you do deserve. The slightly infamous "silenzio" will be an ever present. There will be no changes regarding that. So at least something is impossible. If that makes any sense regarding the question.... It probably won´t, but that also means that if Mark Allen just keeps on working hard (if he actually currently even is) and the pecking order will be changing (if it even requires any changes).

Some people are just joking and spamming about it, when I am a real deal. Going for it. Even a tiny, tiny flaw on Mark Allen and his game, and Alex is better. As Alex had no overall-game, he just wen´t for it, gave his best efforts day in, day out. Just the obvious troubles with the boozing. But wasn´t just meant to be, you know. But I say he IS the better player than Mark Allen as he could gave his best efforts. Mark Allen can´t do that, because he all the time knows he will be outplayed during the safety-exchanges. No matter how hard he would try, no matter what the top-breaks of his ever would be.

Postby Wildey

Its a shame in many ways the World and TV never got to see what Alex Higgins was truly capable of as a player.

I Think Alex Higgins would have loved these tables they play on today and would have made much more centuries. Alex had to throw his whole Body behind a shot to get the reaction on the ball nobody had ever seen before but because of the body movement at pace potting was hard from distance and he still managed some spectacular pots.

Break-building wise Allen has made More centuries however his style of play would have really been difficult with the tables they had in the 70s and 80s.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Wildey wrote:Its a shame in many ways the World and TV never got to see what Alex Higgins was truly capable of as a player.

I Think Alex Higgins would have loved these tables they play on today and would have made much more centuries. Alex had to throw his whole Body behind a shot to get the reaction on the ball nobody had ever seen before but because of the body movement at pace potting was hard from distance and he still managed some spectacular pots.

Break-building wise Allen has made More centuries however his style of play would have really been difficult with the tables they had in the 70s and 80s.

Yes, couple of good points made here. Higgins definately num 1. Allen second for me.