Post a reply

Rankings

Postby Johnny Bravo

I was looking at the rankings and the following question popped into my head: When will Selbo's points from 2 seasons ago vanish ?

As far as I know, his points from the 2016-2017 season are still taken into account when calculating the rankings. Will they vanish at the end of the current season or sooner ?

Can the likes of ROS and MJW become WN1 in 2019 ?

Re: Rankings

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:I was looking at the rankings and the following question popped into my head: When will Selbo's points from 2 seasons ago vanish ?

As far as I know, his points from the 2016-2017 season are still taken into account when calculating the rankings. Will they vanish at the end of the current season or sooner ?

Can the likes of ROS and MJW become WN1 in 2019 ?

2016/2017 points are beeing taken away Tournament by tournament already

Mathematicly Selby could be overtaken after The World Grand Prix by Williams and after the Welsh Open by Ronnie However April/May the majority of Selby's Points will be coming off

hes got £484,400 to come off again this season with £460,000 coming off at the China Open and World Championship.

Basicly Selby needs to win tournaments to stay no 1 now Runner up or Semi finals wont do it.

Postby D4P

I will be pretty surprised if Ronnie doesn't make it back to #1 again someday. You gotta figure he's good for at least another £200,000 this season alone from the combination of the 3 ITV events, Welsh, and World Championships, which would be enough to catch him up to Selby's total right now. Plus, Selby has a lot more money to defend than Ronnie does from 2016, so the odds are definitely in Ronnie's favor right now of taking back the #1 ranking.

(Mark Williams obviously has something to say about it too, though he doesn't seem to be taking the game very seriously at the moment...)

Postby Ash147

It would be fitting if Ronnie were to win the World Championship and in doing so finish the season as WN1.

Postby Alex0paul

Ash147 wrote:It would be fitting if Ronnie were to win the World Championship and in doing so finish the season as WN1.

Why would it

Postby Dan-cat

Alex0paul wrote:
Ash147 wrote:It would be fitting if Ronnie were to win the World Championship and in doing so finish the season as WN1.

Why would it

Because he's been the best player.

Not discounting Allen, it's just obvious.

Postby Alex0paul

Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Why would it

Clearly not as Allen is like 150,000 ahead of him this season

Postby D4P

Alex0paul wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Why would it

Clearly not as Allen is like 150,000 ahead of him this season

Just because Barry Hearn's (outdated) ranking system only counts money from "ranking events" doesn't mean that we should ignore Ronnie's victories at the Shanghai Masters and CoC when determining who has been the best player this season. We are free to do so, of course, but if you were to ask the players themselves, I'm certain that they take prestigious invitational events into consideration when thinking about about who they think has been the best player in a season...I'm also pretty sure that most players would prefer to have had Ronnie's results this season over Mark Allen's...

Postby D4P

Dan-cat wrote:D4P dropping science.

Sorry about that. Did I break a rule...? :evilgrin:

Postby Ash147

Pink Ball wrote:I think Mark Allen has been better this season than Ronnie O’Sullivan because I have brain damage

Ronnie O’Sullivan.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Why would it

With a total of 9 Ranking events to go and so far Ronnie has won only 1 after 9 tournaments played its all to play for who will be player of the season.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Why would it

With a total of 9 Ranking events to go and so far Ronnie has won only 1 after 9 tournaments played its all to play for who will be player of the season.

Number of ranking events isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to being player of the season.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:

Why would it

Number of ranking events isn't the only thing that matters when it comes to being player of the season.

No but unless you rack them up and Ronnie has 3 so theres plenty of scope for other players to get past him

Postby Ash147

If Ronnie wins the World Championship, he's player of the season, regardless of anything else that happens between now and then. Winning the WC and UK, and ending it as WN1 deserves player of the season.

You also have to look at the stats for the events that Ronnie has played in. He's only entered 5 tournaments, winning 3 of those. The other 2 of which he reached the Semi Final and the Final. He's played 28 matches, winning 26 of those. He's made 38 centuries, which is only 3 less than Trump and Robertson, who have played at least double the tournaments Ronnie has. He's earned £528,500, which is more than anyone else this season.

Mark Allen has been the second best player this season, but Ronnie is still a long way ahead of him.

Postby Wildey

If if if someone else could easily win the masters and world and pick up another 3 tournos so as I said it's all to play for.

Postby TheRocket

For me the winner of the World Championship is always the best player of the season. No matter what happened until that point.

And if you have already won a few titles (like UK or Masters) next to your World title it obviously makes you an even better and stronger "best player of the season".

Postby HappyCamper

The rankings are mostly nonsense.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:For me the winner of the World Championship is always the best player of the season. No matter what happened until that point.

And if you have already won a few titles (like UK or Masters) next to your World title it obviously makes you an even better and stronger "best player of the season".

Disagree, but while I felt O’Sullivan was comfortably the player of last season prior to the World Championship, Williams’ had overtaken him by the end of that championship in my opinion. It’s by far the most important.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 31 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wildey

For me its always been about numbers game best players convert match wins in to tournament victories. World Championship is worth More however you need to back that up and to be fair to Mark Williams he did with another 2 Ranking title.

so if you think of all these Events in a equal standard then

World Title Worth 3
UK and Masters worth 2
everything else worth 1

so last season

Ronnie O'Sullivan 6
Mark Williams 5
Mark Selby 2
John Higgins 2
Ryan Day 2

Postby Andre147

Ash147 wrote:If Ronnie wins the World Championship, he's player of the season, regardless of anything else that happens between now and then. Winning the WC and UK, and ending it as WN1 deserves player of the season.

You also have to look at the stats for the events that Ronnie has played in. He's only entered 5 tournaments, winning 3 of those. The other 2 of which he reached the Semi Final and the Final. He's played 28 matches, winning 26 of those. He's made 38 centuries, which is only 3 less than Trump and Robertson, who have played at least double the tournaments Ronnie has. He's earned £528,500, which is more than anyone else this season.

Mark Allen has been the second best player this season, but Ronnie is still a long way ahead of him.

Yeah ita crazy when you look at it... 28 matches played, won 26 and we are half way through the season. But like Wild says, still a long way to go before Worlds and a lot can happen until then.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:For me its always been about numbers game best players convert match wins in to tournament victories. World Championship is worth More however you need to back that up and to be fair to Mark Williams he did with another 2 Ranking title.

World Title Worth 3
UK and Masters worth 2
everything else worth 1

so last season

Ronnie O'Sullivan 6
Mark Williams 5
Mark Selby 2
John Higgins 2
Ryan Day 2

I actually think it's a little more complicated than that. It also depends on when you win your tournaments, and how well you do in the tournaments that you don't win.

So for example, if you win two tournaments in September but to nothing (say, not going beyond the second round) in any other tournaments, that's not as good as say winning one tournament but getting to regular QF/SF/Finals throughout the season.

Obviously the two wins are better for your record books but in terms of being player of the season I'd put the second example higher on the list.

By your reckoning you have Ronnie top on your calculations (and I pretty much agree with your valuation of tournaments) but MJW was consistently getting to the last 8 throughout the season as well which for me gives him an extra point or two.

I'd also suggest that the Worlds is worth 4 (I think most would agree it's twice as important as even the UK and Masters).

Postby TheSaviour

Yes they will vanish, and yes they can.

So happy new year.

I suppose those bombs will be taking off during the schedule. A nice effort, but I suppose those black boys of Wolverhampton and Portugal are just too mean at the mo lol.

Bill Masterton will be a new sensation. Bill Masterton and Case-Master lol.

I am certainly able and capable to bring it on lol. A correct nationality. Nothing else, really.

So thinking large and everything. Today no good anymore. Tomorrow a completely spot on ideas again. And getting activated when no-one supposes it could be on. The same old story. Thinking large. But I am glad the nomination of Mark Selby was there........ Couldn´t much do with any previous ones............ Or a one...............

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:For me its always been about numbers game best players convert match wins in to tournament victories. World Championship is worth More however you need to back that up and to be fair to Mark Williams he did with another 2 Ranking title.

World Title Worth 3
UK and Masters worth 2
everything else worth 1

so last season

Ronnie O'Sullivan 6
Mark Williams 5
Mark Selby 2
John Higgins 2
Ryan Day 2

I actually think it's a little more complicated than that. It also depends on when you win your tournaments, and how well you do in the tournaments that you don't win.

So for example, if you win two tournaments in September but to nothing (say, not going beyond the second round) in any other tournaments, that's not as good as say winning one tournament but getting to regular QF/SF/Finals throughout the season.

Obviously the two wins are better for your record books but in terms of being player of the season I'd put the second example higher on the list.

By your reckoning you have Ronnie top on your calculations (and I pretty much agree with your valuation of tournaments) but MJW was consistently getting to the last 8 throughout the season as well which for me gives him an extra point or two.

I'd also suggest that the Worlds is worth 4 (I think most would agree it's twice as important as even the UK and Masters).

in the last 2 seasons Ronnie has reached 11 finals out of 20 tournaments played

Postby Johnny Bravo

World Title Worth 3
UK and Masters worth 2
everything else worth 1

so last season

Ronnie O'Sullivan 6
Mark Williams 5
Mark Selby 2
John Higgins 2
Ryan Day 2

Hey, I agree with u. That's a first. We should have a toast :cracker: :party:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:I actually think it's a little more complicated than that. It also depends on when ......how well you do in the tournaments that you don't win.

I kinda disagree. Snooker is similar to tennis. U can reach the latter stages of almost all the events u enter and gain the number 1 spot, but it will a gloryless achievement. I am sure most players would love to win 1 grand slam and suck in all the other events rather than reach the latter stages and win none. Same goes with snooker.