Who do you rate as the better player?

Ding Junhui
62%
Judd Trump
38%

Total votes : 21

Who is the better player?

Postby TheRocket

Both havent won the world title yet. Based on titles Ding is still ahead. Dont know for how much longer though. And Trump definitely is the more confident player and fancies his chances when he plays someone like ROS on the biggest stage.

Re: Who is the better player?

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Ding. 5 rankers in one year. Has been World Number 1.

Pretty sure Judd's been WN1 too.

But it's definitely Ding. It's not even close, really.

Long potting is the only part of Judd's game that's better than Ding's.

Breakbuilding, safety and yes even temperament Ding is stronger. Judd would have crumbled against Selby in the 2017 world semi. He hasn't been mentally strong for about 7 years. If he's not playing well he loses. That's not the hallmark of a great player.

Ding can scrap it out at times, although he's not mentally the strongest either.

Postby SnookerFan

It's Ding.

More rankers. Three 'majors' compared to Judd's one.

Ding can flit between being awesome and looking like he's never played the game before, just based on how confident he feels.

But Judd himself is the opposite, he thinks all he has to do is turn up to win sometimes, and it bites him on the bottom.

My concern for Ding is that he's looking increasingly like he can't be bothered any more. And I think he blew his big chance to win The Crucible this year.

Voting Ding.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Trump for me. He may well win the big one. Dont think Ding will. I prefer Trump anyway. Never Dings biggest fan. Like to see them meet in a big game soon. I'd fancy Trump.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ding used to be better but I think he's not motivated anymore. So now it's Judd. But Ding's A game used to be magnificent.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:Trump for me. He may well win the big one. Dont think Ding will. I prefer Trump anyway. Never Dings biggest fan. Like to see them meet in a big game soon. I'd fancy Trump.

I'm the other way around.

For some reason, I never warmed to Judd. Can't exactly tell you what it is, maybe I'm just too old and untrendy to be a fan of his. Just can't relate to a guy who is interested in cars and shoes as much as he is. I get the impression when he first broke onto the scene, he was a bit of a wannabe celebrity rather than snooker player, but he has matured with that.

Ding I've always liked. Even when he went on that rant and called everything bucking Rubbish, I still liked him. That's the sort of stuff that would usually turn me off people.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:Ding used to be better but I think he's not motivated anymore. So now it's Judd. But Ding's A game used to be magnificent.

A mid-career malaise? He’ll come back strong I think.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Ding used to be better but I think he's not motivated anymore. So now it's Judd. But Ding's A game used to be magnificent.

A mid-career malaise? He’ll come back strong I think.

I just want him to win The Crucible.

He could do that and retire straight away and I'd be happy. (Maybe return for the next year, just so I can see him introduced as World Champion.)

Postby Pink Ball

Ding has no confidence, Trump has faux confidence.

Jury’s out on whether either man will be World Champion. Ding’s time has gone, methinks. He may be forever be the greatest never to win it.

At the moment, he’s ahead of Trump. ‘For the moment’ being the key part.

Postby Iranu

Ding's 31, only two years older than Judd. I'm curious why you think his chance has gone?

The average age has been creeping up over the last decade with only Robertson being under 30 in that period.

Ding has a good 10 years to win it, and I still think he will.

Postby Ash147

If you’d have asked me after the 2013/14 season, I would have said Ding by a mile. Since Ding lost to Wasley in the 2014 WC I don’t think he’s looked the same player, even though he’s done well at the Worlds in 2016 and 2017. I think Trump is the better player now, and I think he’s the more likely of the two to have a better career.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Trump.

I voted for him because I think he's gonna have a better career. I also think he's better atm.

If we are to compare their game:
1. potting - pretty equal
2. long potting - advantage Trump
3. cue action - Ding by a mile
4. cue ball control - Ding
5. breakbuilding - Ding
6. safety - slight advantage Ding, but Trump is very close
7. tactics - Ding
8. bottle - neither is great in this department. Ding is afraid of ROS and Trump is afraid of Higgins.

Although from these stats Ding might look the superior player, I'll give the advantage to Trump cause of 3 reasons:
1. Trump has more confidence
2. Ding's soul is not 100% into snooker anymore
3. Although sometimes Trump needs to make recovery shots in order to keep the break going, he pulls them of most of the time. So in the end that's all that matters.
Despite Ding's superior cue ball control, Trump is the more prolific century maker. Even when he wasn't winning much, he was still making plenty of tons: 70 in 2016-2017 compared to Ding's 36, 74 last season compared to Ding's 25, 31 so far compared to Ding's 8.
Last edited by Johnny Bravo on 10 Dec 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby The_Abbott

Ding by a country mile. Judd is too flaky at times. His style is too gung-ho and will eventually miss a shot.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Johnny Bravo wrote:Trump.

I voted for him because I think he's gonna have a better career. I also think he's better atm.

If we are to compare their game:
1. potting - pretty equal
2. long potting - advantage Trump
3. cue action - Ding by a mile
4. cue ball control - Ding
5. breakbuilding - Ding
6. safety - slight advantage Ding, but Trump is very close
7. tactics - Ding
8. bottle - neither is great in this department. Ding is afraid of ROS and Trump is afraid of Higgins.

Although from these stats Ding might look the superior player, I'll give the advantage to Trump cause of 3 reasons:
1. Trump has more confidence
2. Ding's soul is not 100% into snooker anymore
3. Although sometimes Trump needs to make recovery shots in order to keep the break going, he pulls them of most of the time. So in the end that's all that matters.
Despite Ding's superior cue ball control, Trump is the more prolific century maker. Even when he wasn't winning much, he was still making plenty of tons: 70 in 2016-2017 compared to Ding's 36, 74 last season compared to Ding's 25, 31 so far compared to Ding's 8.

Good post. I agree with that.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Poor Ding has all the charisma of a bag of cement. Never seen a man with less emotion. At least Trump wears his heart on his sleeve at times.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Ding. More TC events, rankers, and maybe a higher peak.

Judd needs to start winning the TC events and start having a better consistency. For Judd it's not about putting in a good performance, he's had loads, it's about winning trophies. He's going to be 30 soon and to only have won 1 Triple Crown event since 2011 is bad.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:Poor Ding has all the charisma of a bag of cement. Never seen a man with less emotion. At least Trump wears his heart on his sleeve at times.

Ding is far more emotional than Trump. Ding often looks sad, bored, sometimes happy. He is far easier to read than Trump.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Poor Ding has all the charisma of a bag of cement. Never seen a man with less emotion. At least Trump wears his heart on his sleeve at times.

Ding is far more emotional than Trump. Ding often looks sad, bored, sometimes happy. He is far easier to read than Trump.

Yeah, if anyone wears his heart on his sleeve, it's Ding. Much more charismatic than Judd, in my opinion.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Who would you like to go out for a meal or a drink with? Judd or Ding? I'd choose Judd all day long and twice on Sundays. I know most of you guys seem to love Ding. I dont. I respect his achievements but find him a yawn-inducing, robot-like borefest quite a lot of the time. Great player. Suspect temperament. Cure insomnia.

I like a bit of Naughty Snooker. I like a little showmanship and razmatazz. Some off-table bravado, whether fake or not. Thats what makes the upcoming Masters game v Wilson so mouthwatering. Trump trumps Ding for me.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm not sure I'd go out for dinner with either of them, if I'm honest.

I can't see that I'd have anything in common with Judd. He just doesn't have the same type of personality to me. I just wonder what it is we'd talk about over dinner.

And Ding, being from a different culture, you might have the same problem. And I don't mean that in any racist way. I prefer him as a player and a person to Judd. But I don't know what we'd talk about. Or even eat together. Food in China is nothing like the Chinese food we have in restaurants in the UK.

:shrug:

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I'm not sure I'd go out for dinner with either of them, if I'm honest.

I can't see that I'd have anything in common with Judd. He just doesn't have the same type of personality to me. I just wonder what it is we'd talk about over dinner.

And Ding, being from a different culture, you might have the same problem. And I don't mean that in any racist way. I prefer him as a player and a person to Judd. But I don't know what we'd talk about. Or even eat together. Food in China is nothing like the Chinese food we have in restaurants in the UK.

Nothing in common apart from... Snooker??? I can think of loads of questions I would ask either of them.

I would insist on no junk food though.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Meal or a drink? We know you enjoy a drink. Ok, so Trump bought nice cars. Big deal. He was young and loaded. Immature maybe. Like most of us when young. Except we didn't have his dough. He could be a sound lad. Into normal stuff like football, music and snooker. I'm sure you'd find common ground. He might even like Mars bars or woeful slasher movies haha.

As for Ding coming from a different culture, how long is he in the UK? I have two Chinese taxi driver friends. Their both over here over 10 years and are great craic. Have good English, like a drink and a bet and are good lads. I enjoy their company. Where they are from doesn't even matter. Their here for good now. Love football and all the usual stuff. Maybe Ding is a good lad and a bit of fun. If he is he hides it very well. I'd just wish he'd liven up a tiny bit.

Trump > Ding.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm not sure I'd go out for dinner with either of them, if I'm honest.

Nothing in common apart from... Snooker??? I can think of loads of questions I would ask either of them.

I love junk food, Dan. I wish i had your willpower. Mmmm yummy. Fancy a full Irish soon.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Nothing in common apart from... Snooker??? I can think of loads of questions I would ask either of them.

I guess.

I just I meant that I have no interest in cars or shoes like Judd. And, probably don't eat a lot of the same sort of food Ding would.

I can't even think of much I'd ask them, I don't play snooker myself.

I could ask both of them how they feel about not winning The Crucible. rofl

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:Meal or a drink? We know you enjoy a drink. Ok, so Trump bought nice cars. Big deal. He was young and loaded. Immature maybe. Like most of us when young. Except we didn't have his dough. He could be a sound lad. Into normal stuff like football, music and snooker. I'm sure you'd find common ground. He might even like Mars bars or woeful slasher movies haha.

As for Ding coming from a different culture, how long is he in the UK? I have two Chinese taxi driver friends. Their both over here over 10 years and are great craic. Have good English, like a drink and a bet and are good lads. I enjoy their company. Where they are from doesn't even matter. Their here for good now. Love football and all the usual stuff. Maybe Ding is a good lad and a bit of fun. If he is he hides it very well. I'd just wish he'd liven up a tiny bit.

Trump > Ding.

How many years are you in Ireland, and how is your Irish?