Who do you rate as a better player?

Barry Hawkins
53%
Stuart Bingham
47%

Total votes : 15

Who do you rate as a better player?

Postby SnookerFan

These two have been compared a bit this last week.

The weird thing about this is, if you base it on achievement/trophies won it's obviously Bingham. But, for some reason when this question comes up my gut screams Hawkins.

I think it's his consistency. Hawkins is seen a lot more in semi-finals, so he seems to always be there.

But surely the answer is Bingham?

What say you Island?

Re: Who do you rate as a better player?

Postby Iranu

Hawkins' consistency at the WC perhaps gives the impression of him being better than he is. That and the fact that he occasionally enters "beast mode".

The problem is he's been to the one table set up what, 4 times? And he's never capitalised, whereas Bingham has (beating en route the player that Hawkins lost to in his only final.)

Hawkins edges the safety game and has a better peak standard but on a day to day basis Bingham's more likely to pot the long ones and make a frame winning break. That plus the fact he has the WC and 2 more rankers than Hawkins means I have to go with Bingham, really.

Good question though because they're essentially the same player.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Hawkins' consistency at the WC perhaps gives the impression of him being better than he is. That and the fact that he occasionally enters "beast mode".

The problem is he's been to the one table set up what, 4 times? And he's never capitalised, whereas Bingham has (beating en route the player that Hawkins lost to in his only final.)

Hawkins edges the safety game and has a better peak standard but on a day to day basis Bingham's more likely to pot the long ones and make a frame winning break. That plus the fact he has the WC and 2 more rankers than Hawkins means I have to go with Bingham, really.

Good question though because they're essentially the same player.

My point is though, it shouldn't really be a good question.

Bingham has five ranking events, one of which is The World Championship. Hawkins has won the World Grand Prix and The Players Championships. In terms of achievements, it's a no-contest.

I think because Bingham was esstentially a journeyman until 2011, and had never been past a quarter final until that point, he gets a bit underrated. Also Hawkins is more consistent in tournaments, especially at The Crucible. You'd expect him to get to semis ever year. You sort of feel like he's won more than he has in his career, even though you know he hasn't.

What it is, I think, is before any tournament if you asked me which of the two I thought was more likely to get to the semi-finals, I'd say Hawkins. If both got to the semi-final though, and you asked me which one I thought was more likely to win the tournament from there, I'd probably say Bingham.

Postby TheRocket

Bingham. Its not just the World title but the way he did it. Unlike Hawkins he's proved he can keep up a high enough standard throughout the whole tournament. After he beat Ronnie in the quarters he went on to play a high enough standard to beat Trump and Murphy as well. And both were playing very decent in that tournament.

Hawkins might have a better peak level but his level can drop very easily.

Postby gallantrabbit

Bingham because he went the whole way in 2015. To beat who he beat was like knocking down three great barriers. One of the best WC performances IMO when you consider what had come before.
Credit to BH too for his last few seasons. Neither could be called journeymen these days.

Postby rekoons

Dan-cat wrote:I prefer Barry, because he doesn’t say winner, winner chicken dinner when he wins.

I voted Stuart because he did :-D

Postby Ash147

They’re very similar players in most ways. They’re both two of the biggest beneficiaries of the Hearn era. The one thing that separates them is Bingham’s Word Title, and that’s why he’s the better player.

Postby Alex0paul

Bingham seems to have more belief and isn't scared towards the business end of comps

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Close call. So close i call it a draw.

So, you don't think the World Title tips it in one's favour?

If we are judging who's had a better career, than the answer is obvious.
If we just want to see who is the better player, than the answer is no.

I do agree with some posters, who said that Bingo has more belief once he reaches the latter stages of a tourney.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Close call. So close i call it a draw.

So, you don't think the World Title tips it in one's favour?

I suppose Bingham edges it on titles won. The games biggest prize and a couple of Home Nations. Very impressive all.

The Hawk getting to a World final and Masters final (that went well) is good, also.

Binghams record is better, no doubt but i wouldn't really fancy one or the other if they met in a big final. Two very good players.