Post a reply

Mental Health and Snooker

Postby Noel

Do you think a disproportionate number of snooker players suffer from
what might be called "mental health" issues compared to other sports?

Famously, Ronnie and Dott come to mind but I am reminded to ask this having noticed
comments in the last day or two from three lower ranked MT players on facebook battling
with their depression. Maybe it's just that mental heath is not something to deny and
hide in the back room anymore so we hear more about it... maybe it's that snooker is more
emotionally draining than other sports.... or maybe it takes a "special" kind of mind in the first
place to play snooker at the highest levels?

Thoughts on this?

=o)

Noel

Re: Mental Health and Snooker

Postby gallantrabbit

I don't think it's a disproportionate number, probably like any game. What must have been depressing was the lack of opportunities until this year.
I know one thing and that's if you are not mentally right, I mean if something is weighing on your nut you might as well stick the stick back in it's case.

Postby Wildey

what i do know mentally snooker is the toughest sport to play because its so quiet....for long periods you sitting in your seat just thinking convincing yourself you going to lose while trying to fight that with a positive approach.

thats why the mentally stronger players come out on top more often.

Postby Tubberlad

Hmmm... it's the most challenging game mentally, but I don't think it's got anything to do with leading to depression. No way. Most people actually do suffer from some form of depression at some stage of their lives, a lot just keep quiet about it or recover quickly. I'm not surpised a lot of the mhave had their demons, but I think that would apply to any sport.

Postby SnookerFan

It doesn't surprise me that snooker people battle depression. Apparently it happens in a lot of sports. I was talking to somebody once who studied sport's psychology, and he was saying psychiatry came into it more then you'd think. You make a mistake and cost your team in a big match, it haunts you.

Snooker must take it's toll a hell of a lot. You can miss a shot, and watch yourself lose a frame. You can be sat there, alone, in front of hundreds of people, powerless to stop yourself from losing. You would think playing snooker would be the easy life, but when it's your livelihood, I bet it is a painfully lonely/stressful time.

I don't know the link between snooker and depression. Ronnie would've had depression anyway. But it's gotta be painful to play at times.

Postby Wildey

yes snooker is no way the course of depression that comes from yourself and your private situation in side you but sitting in your seat while your opponent clearing the table gives you time to chew things over in your mind where in football,tennis etc you haven't got that time to yourself during a match.

Postby Monique

psychological problems are extremely common in top sports persons. The pressure and expectations are extremely high and the fact that usually the sports persons start at a very young age and are immature doesn't help. Add to it that contrary to other sports, cue sports don't provide any relief of the tension through action and there you have it ...

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:psychological problems are extremely common in top sports persons. The pressure and expectations are extremely high and the fact that usually the sports persons start at a very young age and are immature doesn't help. Add to it that contrary to other sports, cue sports don't provide any relief of the tension through action and there you have it ...

but when ebdon relieves the tension hes criticized for it.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I was writing about releasing tension through action, not through inaction ;)

action of throwing himself on the floor or shouting come on and fist pumping is seen as wrong in snooker acceptable in other sports.

Postby Monique

What Ebdon did with Jamie Cope was sheer gamemanship, not release of tension.
What he did with Stephen Lee probably was release of tension; doesn't make it nice though.
Fist pumping in the air or to the crowd in celebration after a maxi or after a win is ok. Fist pumping right in the face of your opponent is plain rude.

Postby Wildey

yes but how could it be gamesmanship if the match was over ?

Postby Smart

Monique wrote:The match wasn't over. Cope went back to the table.

exactly <ok>

Peter was out of order, just like he was in the same match for questioning Leo over one of his decisions, and for all the usual huffing and puffing that go with Ebbo.................

Cope knocked him OUT. :wave:

Postby renniwevarb

Monique wrote:psychological problems are extremely common in top sports persons. The pressure and expectations are extremely high and the fact that usually the sports persons start at a very young age and are immature doesn't help. Add to it that contrary to other sports, cue sports don't provide any relief of the tension through action and there you have it ...

This brings to mind a conversation I had with my fellow snooker mates... We all but have to agree that after a hard day's work, snooker is the last thing anyone would wanna play to relieve stress and tension! (except us crazy people)

Most people sweat it out with a run, or do some "relief of tension through action" games like badminton, basketball etc...
Only we people go down to the baize and so "masochistically" stress ourselves up even further! :eek: :huh: