Post a reply

Century Breaks in a Season

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:Robertson is one of the worst break-builders ive seen at top level but his potting so good he gets away with it.
but for longevity in the sport when the pots not going in he needs to improve that aspect of his game.

he is that useless he had the most centuries last season

<laugh> :bird:

Re: Build the perfect player

Postby Roland

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:Robertson is one of the worst break-builders ive seen at top level but his potting so good he gets away with it.
but for longevity in the sport when the pots not going in he needs to improve that aspect of his game.

Do you have the list of century breaks from last season? I would've put my money on Ding, Higgins or Selby

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

Do you have the list of century breaks from last season? I would've put my money on Ding, Higgins or Selby

wild said at the end of last season robbo was at the top of the list :afro:

Postby Alex0paul

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
Sonny wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:

wild said at the end of last season robbo was at the top of the list :afro:

Thats because he played the most matches.

Postby Alex0paul

Robertson had 42 centuries with 17 coming in the Championship League.

Postby Roland

42 is bloody good for a season of 6 rankers, a Premier League and a Masters. If he got 42 then it's not surprising he topped the list.

Alex, you're a stats man. Do you have a list of the players who have topped the century tally per season over the last few seasons? I'm guessing peak Hendry would've been close to 60 centuries in a season?

edit - I just reread your last post. That sort of makes a difference because Championship League if you win all your matches you qualify but if you're in from round 1 and keep losing in the final, then win the last you probably play about 100 frames extra.

Postby GJ

is there any link updating the centuries list for this season

?

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:http://www.global-snooker.com/cuefacts-snooker-stats-09-10-tour-stats-century-breaks.asp

Thats the List from Main Tour Tournaments but like Alex said Robbo had 17 in the championship league whitch not on that list

i take no other top players played in championship league then so yes its a clear and unfair advantage for robbo

:chin:

Postby Alex0paul

Sonny wrote:42 is bloody good for a season of 6 rankers, a Premier League and a Masters. If he got 42 then it's not surprising he topped the list.

Alex, you're a stats man. Do you have a list of the players who have topped the century tally per season over the last few seasons? I'm guessing peak Hendry would've been close to 60 centuries in a season?

Hendry holds the record of 53 centuries in one season although nowadays that will probably be beaten given the new number of events. I don't have records of each century break leader of every season but I would imagine O'Sullivan and Ding have topped the lists recently. I think Selby was up there as well the season he was in the PL but don't necessarily think he was number one.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:
GJtheaussiestud wrote:is there any link updating the centuries list for this season

?

this season in red http://www.cajt.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Centuries.htm

cheers mate

i agree with oneball when the table is messed up i would say robbo is more likely to clear the table than if the balls are in perfect position <ok>

Postby GJ

Robbo WC 1 century

poor start :grrr:

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
Sonny wrote:42 is bloody good for a season of 6 rankers, a Premier League and a Masters. If he got 42 then it's not surprising he topped the list.

Hendry holds the record of 53 centuries in one season although nowadays that will probably be beaten given the new number of events. I don't have records of each century break leader of every season but I would imagine O'Sullivan and Ding have topped the lists recently. I think Selby was up there as well the season he was in the PL but don't necessarily think he was number one.

not sure about that Selby apart they not actually piling them on are they.

Mark Williams got a PTC Win and a PTC Semi and hes not made a century yet.

Postby Roland

This season:

Shaun Murphy - 5
Ronnie O'Sullivan - 5
Matthew Stevens - 5
Marco Fu - 6
Tony Drago - 6
Barry Pinches - 6
Stephen Maguire - 7

Mark Selby - bucking 14!

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:

not sure about that Selby apart they not actually piling them on are they.

Mark Williams got a PTC Win and a PTC Semi and hes not made a century yet.

That's Mark Williams isn't it? 80 break = exhibition time

Re: Century Breaks in a Season

Postby Wildey

Shaun Murphy made 4 in that early season tournament where he came back from the death against Ding hes only made 1 since then.

Postby renniwevarb

How about dividing the number of century breaks by the number of frames played in a season? Would that be a more representative statistic?

Postby Wildey

renniwevarb wrote:How about dividing the number of century breaks by the number of frames played in a season? Would that be a more representative statistic?

no because season avarages century is not important thats like making a bigger deal out of centuries.

century is only a bonus after winning the frame.

Postby Bourne

Well you often get 25 breaks that are more classy and well-constructed than century breaks, i'm with wild, centuries are nice bonuses and prove you won the frame but give me 15 breaks of 3 in a frame which I win and i'll value it as much, centuries are for show and frames are for dough.

Postby renniwevarb

wildJONESEYE wrote:
renniwevarb wrote:How about dividing the number of century breaks by the number of frames played in a season? Would that be a more representative statistic?

no because season avarages century is not important thats like making a bigger deal out of centuries.

century is only a bonus after winning the frame.

Yup I do agree with you, but nonetheless it is still an achievement.

I'm just suggesting this for comparison in context with this thread, as some have mentioned about the unfair advantage of players playing more frames thus having more opportunities to get centuries.

Postby Wildey

if theres more frames and more centuries i say good luck to them.

i know for a fact Hendry would sell off his centuries if he could win tournaments again.

Postby Eirebilly

The fact that Robbo has more centuries due to that fact that he has played more frames is a silly comparison. He has played more frames and matches because he has been the best player of late so full credit to him. As the auld addige goes, you have to be at the table the most to make the big breaks, and being at the table the most means you're winning.