Post a reply

Needle

Postby rekoons

I was unaware of the twitter history between Trump and Dale… so between which players do we know there a bit of needle?

I can think of the following:

Most recently trump – Wilson, trump calling Wilson not very talented, just making the most of his ability

Another well documented one is between Allen & Bingham, Allen stating Bingham didn’t have any bottle, Stuart went on to win the world’s a few years later

I believe Brecel was making fun of Holt a couple of years ago when he beat him in the qualifiers for the worlds

There’s also some rivalry between murphy and ‘O Sullivan, opposing views on ‘the game’ mainly I think. also Murphy always trying his heart out to beat Ronnie, usually getting squashed by him

I thought mark king had some issues with somebody as well, but can’t remember

I’m sure I’m forgetting plenty others

Re: Needle

Postby rekoons

How do I make a bulleted or numerical list?
something weird when trying to use the buttons...

Postby Andre147

Of course ROS had a brief one with Hendry, wanting him to "go back to his sad little life in Scotland" lol...

He also had one with MJW around the same time.

Also Carter and Ronnie shoulder barge, and I think Robbo and Trump once had a bit of needle, cant remember why.

Of course nothing will beat Alex Higgins threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot lol.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Mark King had a boxing match with Quinten Hann.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ronnie and Ali Carter don't really like each other. There's been some needle between Ali and Judd as well. Ali said something like, 'there's more to snooker than just potting balls'.

Postby rekoons

Quinten Hann <laugh> yes I remember (having read this). I believe Ronnie chose Quinten's side, didn't he?

and off course Ali Carter, Mr Angry, the shoulder barge...

Postby Ash147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ronnie and Ali Carter don't really like each other. There's been some needle between Ali and Judd as well. Ali said something like, 'there's more to snooker than just potting balls'.

Ali Carter is an angry little man, who is clearly jealous of those who have achieved more than he has.

Postby The_Abbott

Wilson criticised some players for not attending the Paul Hunter Classic as disrespectful. I don't think that went down well with players that actually knew Paul Hunter.

Postby snooker_loopy

Ronnie and Mark Selby?

"World champion O’Sullivan, 38, dubbed Selby “The Torturer” in his autobiography. And Leicester Jester Selby has got under his skin in the past, coming back twice to beat him in finals in Wales and the Masters. O’Sullivan said: “I used to get frustrated playing Mark, I lost rhythm and concentration.

Ronnie is known for contradictory comments so maybe he's changed his mind about Selby. My guess is he isn't a huge fan of the guy's style of play or approach to the game.

Postby Marcus Tandy

Ken Doherty and Mark Williams (source: Ken’s book).

I’ve always had the impression there’s needle between Judd Trump and Neil Robertson since their quarter-final in the 2014 World Championship.

Postby Dan-cat

Marcus Tandy wrote:Ken Doherty and Mark Williams (source: Ken’s book).

I’ve always had the impression there’s needle between Judd Trump and Neil Robertson since their quarter-final in the 2014 World Championship.

Welcome Marcus :-D

Remember when Judd just sat in his chair stony-faced when Neil he did the ton of tons.

Postby Ash147

Dan-cat wrote:

Remember when Judd just sat in his chair stony-faced when Neil he did the ton of tons.

Robertson did act like a bit of a banker though, he celebrated like he'd actually won the World Final. I was glad Selby knocked him out in the Semis.

Postby rekoons

I'm interested in hearing more about this one?

Postby Marcus Tandy

rekoons wrote:

I'm interested in hearing more about this one?

Ken said him and Williams never really got on. Ken criticised Williams for wearing hoodies and tracksuits at tournament venues and said he was gutted to lose the 2003 world final to Williams in particular because of that animosity between them.

Postby Marcus Tandy

Dan-cat wrote:

Thanks :). Yes for some reason I think that match set the tone for future meetings between them.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Of course ROS had a brief one with Hendry, wanting him to "go back to his sad little life in Scotland" lol...

Also Carter and Ronnie shoulder barge, and I think Robbo and Trump once had a bit of needle, cant remember why.

Of course nothing will beat Alex Higgins threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot lol.

Didn't Robertson go off on one randomly during The Masters, when asked about Trump?

I can't remember if he had just played him, or was due to play him in the next round. I think the latter, because he went off on one like; "I'm coming for you Judd, I'm going to beat you...."

It must be up on YouTube somewhere.

Postby Ash147

Neil Robertson is a sausage head.

Postby Iranu

When you have two players needling each other, you inevitably end up with a couple of pin ends.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:

Judd's been a bit of a sausage in many cases, but that's not one of them. He wasn't there to congratulate Neil, he was there to win the match. No reason for him to do anything other than sit there in my opinion.

Postby hendry_fan

[quote="Andre147"]Of course ROS had a brief one with Hendry, wanting him to "go back to his sad little life in Scotland"

Of course nothing will beat Alex Higgins threatening to have Dennis Taylor shot

Great Topic!.<cool>

I rarely comment on the Snooker News and Webosphere but i could,nt resist commentin on it tnight.

"Of course ROS had a brief one with Hendry, wanting him to "go back to his sad little life in Scotland" lol.."

As you can imagine I saw the whole of the match LIVE,not at the venue but on the telly.

I can tell you,it,s probably the most nervous i,ve ever been in my life.

When Stephen got over the line,i fully admit,i cried,takes a lot for me to cry,but the joy,the relief i felt was something i,ve rarely felt.

I sat on my sofa and cried my buckin heart out,i had,nt cried for ages,and for Stephen to manage to beat him after what Ronnie said about him,well,i just could,nt hold back,pure tears of joy,my whole body was pumped up with adrenaline,i probably could,ve even knocked out Mike Tyson,i was so buckin pumped up. ;-) <laugh>

What a moment of joy i experienced there,it was almost just as good as when Stephen won the worlds for the record breaking 7th time. :happy: :happy: :happy:

The joy did,nt last long though,as we all know what happened in the final.,when Ebdon beat him 18-17.

I did,nt speak to anyone for more than a week,i was absolutely well n truly GUUUUTTTTTTTTED!. :mood: :sad: :-(

What bout the needle between Mags n Smurph cause of a bit o chalk,i think they both did,nt like each other anyway,so the chalk incident added to the dislikening. <laugh>

Postby TheRocket

snooker_loopy wrote:Ronnie and Mark Selby?

"World champion O’Sullivan, 38, dubbed Selby “The Torturer” in his autobiography. And Leicester Jester Selby has got under his skin in the past, coming back twice to beat him in finals in Wales and the Masters. O’Sullivan said: “I used to get frustrated playing Mark, I lost rhythm and concentration.

Ronnie is known for contradictory comments so maybe he's changed his mind about Selby. My guess is he isn't a huge fan of the guy's style of play or approach to the game.

This is a hard one to guess. It seems the needle is a thing of the past and these days they always speak in high terms of the other.

But at times it just looks very fake to me. As you say. In the past Ronnie never made a secret of the fact that he isn't a fan of of Selbys approach to the game or his style of play. And I doubt he's a fan now.

And I don't think Selby really likes Ronnie as a person. You could pretty much see it in his interviews in the past when interviewers asked him about ROS or playing ROS.

Whether their relationship is much better now I don't know. But one thing for sure. They're just two completely different players and characters.

Postby vodkadiet

Alex Higgins really liked Steve Davis.....

Postby rekoons

This is a hard one to guess. It seems the needle is a thing of the past and these days they always speak in high terms of the other.

But at times it just looks very fake to me. As you say. In the past Ronnie never made a secret of the fact that he isn't a fan of of Selbys approach to the game or his style of play. And I doubt he's a fan now.

I think it's indeed mainly the difference in style and approach to the game what's 'annoying (or annoyed) Ronnie most, don't think they really dislike each other as much as some other players have needle because of disliking the other's personality... just my guess

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:When you have two players needling each other, you inevitably end up with a couple of pin ends.

rofl rofl

True dat.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Judd's been a bit of a sausage in many cases, but that's not one of them. He wasn't there to congratulate Neil, he was there to win the match. No reason for him to do anything other than sit there in my opinion.

Seconded.