Post a reply

Re: ROS proposes breakaway tour

Postby Andre147

He won't. Plain and simple. Even if he has interest, he wont find enough players willing to give up their tour card, plus he wont find the sponsors for a tour like this.

Another attention seeking moment from ROS. It'll pass.

Postby Alex0paul

Never going to happen and if it did it would be utter bullocks

Postby Godot

"We want the crème de la crème, so it'll be me, Hendry out of retirement and those two Chinese lads who have just been banned for match fixing"

Rightio.

Postby Godot

The current snooker tour has never been so good - it has so much strength in depth.

Look at some of the names lower down the rankings - Theppy, Akani, Xintong... these guys can give any of the big names a bloody nose on a good day. Would be a bloody shame to dilute snooker at a time when the tour has never been so strong.

Postby gallantrabbit

So that's him, Hendry with the yips and two banned fellows who are going to keep losing 5-0 but drive ferraris...nearly there Ron...

Postby gallantrabbit

Is turning belly aching into a fine art. A breakaway tour and moaning about Numpties' earnings in the same breath. Berk.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Ronnie likes to say things to wind people up and to annoy Hearn. Don't take it seriously, it's not even worth discussing. I think this is Ronnie's way of having a bit of fun. I don't even listen to half the stuff he talks about anymore.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ronnie likes to say things to wind people up and to annoy Hearn. Don't take it seriously, it's not even worth discussing. I think this is Ronnie's way of having a bit of fun. I don't even listen to half the stuff he talks about anymore.

Fair enough if it is just a joke but a little bit cruel to give Cao and Yu false hope for a laugh?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Ronnie likes to say things to wind people up and to annoy Hearn. Don't take it seriously, it's not even worth discussing. I think this is Ronnie's way of having a bit of fun. I don't even listen to half the stuff he talks about anymore.

Fair enough if it is just a joke but a little bit cruel to give Cao and Yu false hope for a laugh?

Ronnie's friends with a lot of Chinese players so they probably know what he's up to..

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Ronnie's friends with a lot of Chinese players so they probably know what he's up to..

Like you say, he says these things to wind people up. He loves to be centre of attention and get the media talking about him.

No doubt the BBC will spend over an hour coverage talking about a breakaway tour lol... waste of time.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Like you say, he says these things to wind people up. He loves to be centre of attention and get the media talking about him.

No doubt the BBC will spend over an hour coverage talking about a breakaway tour lol... waste of time.

I think this is just his way of making interviews funny and entertaining for him.
I can't be bothered giving it too much attention...

Postby HappyCamper

Why stop at Yu, Cao, and Higgins? Get Stephen Lee and Quinten Hann in as well. Have all matches pre-determined; like the wrestling.

Postby Dan-cat

The top 16 in darts did it in the 90s successfully, and everyone said that it wouldn't work, dismissed it out of hand. Ronnie has all the machinery in place - his manager runs the Legends tours and Senior events, so he has the skills on his team required.

We'll see!

Postby Ash147

It's an interesting idea, and it could actually work out. I don't think it's good to fill it with a load of match fixers though.

Postby carayip

Dan-cat wrote:The top 16 in darts did it in the 90s successfully, and everyone said that it wouldn't work, dismissed it out of hand. Ronnie has all the machinery in place - his manager runs the Legends tours and Senior events, so he has the skills on his team required.

We'll see!

The problem is which of other top 16 players in snooker would support him? Exactly none! If he thinks he can do it alone, go ahead and do it.
According to an article, he hasn’t yet spoken to Higgins and Hendry about his idea. If this is not serious and a wind up only, I seriously doubt Higgins and Hendry are too pleased their names are associated with this kind of “joke”.

Postby Andre147

Yeah if I were Higgins and Hendry I wouldn't be too pleased either.

The match fixers don't care, they're already banned.

Postby carayip

Andre147 wrote:Yeah if I were Higgins and Hendry I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Especially Hendry. I hope he clear up fast. I don’t want him to be laughed at “why would this guy want to come out of retirement to get humped by Ronnie O’Sullivan week in week out?”.

Postby Dan-cat

carayip wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Yeah if I were Higgins and Hendry I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Especially Hendry. I hope he clear up fast. I don’t want him to be laughed at “why would this guy want to come out of retirement to get humped by Ronnie O’Sullivan week in week out?”.

Hendry aint coming out of retirement. Did he really say that!?

Postby SteveJJ

Another dig at Hearn by using the example of Leyton Orient?

I'm sure sponsors would be glad of being associated with match fixers.

Postby snooker_loopy

Ronnie must be winding people up with the comment about the two banned Chinese players! He can't be serious?

A breakaway tour featuring the top 16 or 20 could be interesting - not that Barry Hearn and the WPBSA would allow it. There'd be a bitter legal battle.

It seems a non-starter but it would be amusing to watch

The Banned Snooker Players League

Sponsored by the Italian Mafia, the Chinese Triad and McDonalds.

After all, Stephen Lee does love his burgers!

Postby carayip

Dan-cat wrote:
carayip wrote:

Hendry aint coming out of retirement. Did he really say that!?

Yes, ROS did bring up Hendry, Higgins, Yu and Cao’s names. It’s ok if ROS wanted to make himself a laughing stock, but it’s bad he brought other people along the way.

Postby Godot

John isn't banned :chin:

Postby Ash147

Godot wrote:

John isn't banned :chin:

He should be.

Postby snooker_loopy

Playing devil's advocate but you could argue Hearn/the WPBSA/World Snooker would be within their right to ban Ronnie from the sport? What I mean is - for a pro player to be suggesting a rival tour is somewhat treasonous? You're biting the hand that feeds in the worst kind of way.

If Hearn said to Ronnie "we've decided your comments are a major breach of the snooker code, you're banned, you have a right to appeal" or sent him a warning "if you repeat this again you're banned" then Ronnie would have to put up or shut up.

I'm guessing Ronnie is trolling mostly for attention but players actively saying "let's revolt and start a new snooker league" shouldn't be tolerated. If Ronnie is genuine he should quit.

Postby carayip

snooker_loopy wrote:Playing devil's advocate but you could argue Hearn/the WPBSA/World Snooker would be within their right to ban Ronnie from the sport? What I mean is - for a pro player to be suggesting a rival tour is somewhat treasonous? You're biting the hand that feeds in the worst kind of way.

If Hearn said to Ronnie "we've decided your comments are a major breach of the snooker code, you're banned, you have a right to appeal" or sent him a warning "if you repeat this again you're banned" then Ronnie would have to put up or shut up.

I'm guessing Ronnie is trolling mostly for attention but players actively saying "let's revolt and start a new snooker league" shouldn't be tolerated. If Ronnie is genuine he should quit.

I think Hearn tolerates Ronnie at the moment because
a) Ronnie is his biggest money maker
b) he knows Ronnie won’t succeed in his idea as other players won’t support him. So as damaging the talk is, it will remain talk only

Postby snooker_loopy

When your top player is basically saying "the sport is crap and I (O'Sullivan) want to start a rival version" - you'd think the sport's governing body would say "enough is enough!"

We all know Ronnie does like the attention - he's not a complete fool when it comes to exploiting the media - but you can cross a line. A few weeks ago he said Hearn was a dictator and now he's suggesting a rival tour. This is another attempt to attack Hearn's running of the game. I think that is crossing a line.

I'm not a huge fan of Hearn (always reminded me of a dodgy car salesman) but I wouldn't be upset if Hearn and co gave out a fine. Ronnie should be given a fine for his latest comments? I wouldn't care. He's entitled to speak out but there should be consequences if it brings the sport into disrepute. He's been fined in the past!