Post a reply

Re: Shaun Murphy talking rubbish again

Postby TheRocket

Utter rubbish. No tournament will ever become more important than the World Championship.

Its like saying Olympic football is more important than the World Cup.

Postby Andre147

It will be similar to Tennis... important, but no way more important than winning a Grand Slam, and the Grand Slam of Snooker is of course the World Champs.

Postby Iranu

The Olympics should be reserved for sports that it IS the pinnacle achievement in. Tennis, football etc shouldn't feature in my opinion. That includes snooker.

Plus I imagine there would be scheduling difficulties in terms of logistics and timing. And they'd probably want a shot clock.

It's a no from me.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:The Olympics should be reserved for sports that it IS the pinnacle achievement in. Tennis, football etc shouldn't feature in my opinion. That includes snooker.

This.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:The Olympics should be reserved for sports that it IS the pinnacle achievement in. Tennis, football etc shouldn't feature in my opinion. That includes snooker.

Snooker shouldn't be included, period. It won't gain anything and people who think it will promote the sport are clueless.

Postby kolompar

Murphy's saying it to just promote the sport.
And of course snooker would gain from being in the Olympics, it's like the biggest event in the world and most outside Europe and China don't even know snooker exists.

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:Murphy's saying it to just promote the sport.
And of course snooker would gain from being in the Olympics, it's like the biggest event in the world and most outside Europe and China don't even know snooker exists.

Pobably I got it wrong saying it wont promote the game... But it will never be bigger than winning a World Champs.

Postby Alex0paul

Ronnie79 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Olympics should be for amateurs

Why should it ?. Tennis and Golf are in it.

But they shouldn't. Neither should football

Postby Snooker89

If Snooker does make it to the Olympics winning Gold will never be bigger than the World Championship. Would it also mean more money coming into the game or will it not make a difference?

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker89 wrote:If Snooker does make it to the Olympics winning Gold will never be bigger than the World Championship. Would it also mean more money coming into the game or will it not make a difference?

I guess it makes it more available to an international audience.

But how many new fans are realistically going to start watching snooker, just because it's in the games. It's hours long, and there's plenty of other sports to choose from.

Postby HappyCamper

Olympics would never be bigger than the worlds. The field would inevitably be weaker as there would be a whole bunch of "numpties" from countries with no real snooker heritage. Also there would be limits on players per country able to qualify, so some good UK/China players would miss out - or I guess find a long lost Kenyan granny.

It would be good to get exposure to new markets for the game though.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:It will be similar to Tennis... important, but no way more important than winning a Grand Slam, and the Grand Slam of Snooker is of course the World Champs.

Yea although winning the Olympic will be great it will be no way more important than WC even if its at the Olympics it would be best of 7s and if we lucky best of 11 final.

Postby Alex0paul

It wouldn’t really be competitive as it would be Great Britain rather than England, Wales, Scotland so you’ll end up having them or China win it

Postby Dan-cat

I hope he pulls it off, would be brilliant for our beautiful game.

We nearly got there in the 90s - if it wasn’t for the mismanagement of the corrupt and inept WPBSA. Clive covers it extensively in his fabulous book Black Farce and Cue Ball wizards.

We might actually have a chance with Murphy as figurehead.