Topic locked

Open at all hours...

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... hours.html
OPEN ALL HOURS
So the World Open field is being whittled down in Sheffield and later today the last 64 will be known.

World Snooker have already announced eight matches to be held over to the TV stages in Glasgow next month and another three will be decided later today.

In fact, make that two as Jimmy White, ever popular but a rare presence before the cameras these days, will face Paul Davison in Glasgow.

The decision on the other two matches will be taken by World Snooker and the BBC, the host broadcasters.

They won’t have to agonise for long. If Brazilian Igor Figueiredo beats Dave Gilbert he will be paired with twice world champion Mark Williams, which would be perfect for TV.

If Alan McManus beats Chris Norbury he will face teenager Anthony McGill in what would be a battle of two Glaswegians as well as youth v experience.

Shaun Murphy’s match against Dave Harold is also a possibility, even if they did once serve up the longest frame in snooker history.

The shorter format hasn’t created that many big shocks yet. Much has been made of the World Open being the ‘FA Cup of snooker’ but a big factor in the FA Cup is the venue of each match, home advantage whether at a big stadium or a tiny non league ground.

Even though the World Open matches are shorter than for all the other tournaments, I suspect the cream will still rise to the top.

Some will doubtless feel the matches are too short for a ranking event but it's worth remembering why this tournament is happening at all: the BBC doesn’t want the Grand Prix. The only way they will show four tournaments instead of three next season is if something profoundly different can be found.

The World Open may fit the bill. Then again it may not. But we won’t find out until Glasgow and it’s in everyone’s interests to try and make it work.

Re: Open at all hours...

Postby SnookerFan

I'd like to draw issue with the following point;

Some will doubtless feel the matches are too short for a ranking event but it's worth remembering why this tournament is happening at all: the BBC doesn’t want the Grand Prix. The only way they will show four tournaments instead of three next season is if something profoundly different can be found.

To be honest, I'm surprised everybody doesn't feel this way. I appreciate the BBC have basically they said they hate the Grand Prix, and want something shorter for a televisual standpoint. It doesn't mean we should like this format. Or be happy the BBC said it.

Give it a chance before passing judgement perhaps. I can take that as a point. But the fact that the BBC are being pin ends, don't mean we have to jump up and down and say best of fives are fantastic ideas in rankers. They're not.

Postby Wildey

nothing wrong with it being Ranking but awarding it same status as shanghai and china is quite frankly a embarrassment.

Postby Smart

not sure about the "nothing wrong with it being ranking".....................careers are defined by the God damned rankings, and this format is more a lottery than best of 9's which I have been complaining about for God knows how many years............

STOP BOWING DOWN TO BBC AND STICK PROPER LENGTH TOURNIES ON SKY :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:not sure about the "nothing wrong with it being ranking".....................careers are defined by the God damned rankings, and this format is more a lottery than best of 9's which I have been complaining about for God knows how many years............

Is Sky really the way forward?

a) They aint too interested in snooker, unless it's gimmicky Premier League or Sky Shootout rubbish.
b) Not everybody has Sky Sports. I don't. Is putting it on a channel not everybody has neccessarily a good thing, when we are trying to widen the appeal?

I'm not defending the BBC, and their shitty best of five demands, but it's more difficult then the format on here of Sky=Good BBC=Bad.

Postby Wildey

its not a BBC Demand its a last throw of a dice keeping 4 tourny on the bbc.. if the World Open is a flop there wont be 4 on the BBC next season only 3.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:its not a BBC Demand its a last throw of a dice keeping 4 tourny on the bbc.. if the World Open is a flop there wont be 4 on the BBC next season only 3.

it will be great i think and provide awesome continual tension and drama from one match to the next. Its certainly the first tournament ive been to as an adult where im not overly fussed about having a good drink to help me get more into the action.

Postby GJ

StalinESQ wrote:not sure about the "nothing wrong with it being ranking".....................careers are defined by the God damned rankings, and this format is more a lottery than best of 9's which I have been complaining about for God knows how many years............

sky show premier league bull rubbish need i say more

:wave: <laugh>

Postby Smart

GJtheaussiestud wrote:

sky show premier league bull rubbish need i say more

:wave: <laugh>

agreed - but now we are having bull on ITV (shoot-out rubbish) and now a much truncated format on the BBC (best of 5)............. it seems we are losing out both on quality and quantity <doh> :wave:

Ps I have a painful wisdom tooth. :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:its not a BBC Demand its a last throw of a dice keeping 4 tourny on the bbc.. if the World Open is a flop there wont be 4 on the BBC next season only 3.

it will be great i think and provide awesome continual tension and drama from one match to the next. Its certainly the first tournament ive been to as an adult where im not overly fussed about having a good drink to help me get more into the action.

Such fandom is really beautiful to see, man. <laugh>

More seriously, I can't see how this adds tension. It certainly doesn't add drama. What's exciting about a 3-0? Somebody plays three frames, then they snake hiss off. Surely even a best of 9 creates more of a possibility of a comeback.

Granted I took this week off, but that was because it was the closest thing I can get to a summer holiday this year, due to staff shortages at work during the summer months. (And the fact a friend turns 30 that week.)

I'm going to watch it, but I have a different view to anybody who says they are more excited about this tournament then for a long time. I don't remember a tournament I've been less excited about. (I am sure that'll change when I see Power Snooker.)

Postby Roland

I don't have a problem with best of 5's in one off events like this one. I prefer longer matches obviously, but events like this will be good to watch because it'll be fast and furious and there's a lot of stake which means it'll be high pressure for all the players and that's what it's all about.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I don't have a problem with best of 5's in one off events like this one. I prefer longer matches obviously, but events like this will be good to watch because it'll be fast and furious and there's a lot of stake which means it'll be high pressure for all the players and that's what it's all about.

Not Really

Snooker should never be about a Fluke Win... Longer Matches is what Snooker is All About.

its ok as a one off but unlike Witz i got to be honest doesent Float my boat like the Grand Prix did....i keep asking for more and im watching on Global Snooker.

yes i am more excited by the PTC that is what it sais on the tin this however is a minor event Trying to dress up as a Major.

Postby SnookerFan

I keep saying it, but if they kept the Grand Prix, and had this in a non-ranking capacity in, say, November, this would be an amazing event. It really is a crying shame the BBC are being the way they are. I'd prefer both, with this being 0 ranking points. The inclusion of amateurs, and shorter matches, fine. But there is no way in a million years you should get one ranking point for this. But it sounds like the BBC are becoming less interested in showing this sport.

Essentially what they've done is extended the World Series and made it a ranker. (Though the World Series matches were actually longer then the matches then here, in a ranking tournament.) <doh> These things are fine, but they should be trying to make it a prestigious invitational. Like The Masters.

Postby Wildey

The BBC Shows more hours of snooker than any other sport in a year on Terrestrial TV not counting red button your talking about 5 hours a day minimum in a year thats about 215 hours or 107 football matches.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:The BBC Shows more hours of snooker than any other sport in a year on Terrestrial TV not counting red button your talking about 5 hours a day minimum in a year thats about 215 hours or 107 football matches.

Yeah. They have provided pretty top-notch coverage, be a shame to see it come to an end. :sad:

Postby Wildey

the previous regime braught it to a end boring old farts who couldn't sell condoms at a gang bang..

With the World Open Barry had to think quick to give it a chance.