Post a reply

Ronnie's Comments on Hearn/ World Snooker

Postby Snooker89

Ronnie's twitter today has been very interesting and the points he has been making. I think the top 16 should get together and meet with Barry. There is surely a compromise to be made. The Top players are after all the games biggest asset

Re: Ronnie's Comments on Hearn/ World Snooker

Postby Holden Chinaski

@ronnieo147:
"The Top 16 used to give you freedom to prepare properly, no hell hole venues for qualifiers, the flat 128 draw hasn’t changed anything with regards to who the winners and losers are. All it has done is make the winners play extra matches for no reason"

Postby Chalk McHugh

Holden Chinaski wrote:@ronnieo147:
"The Top 16 used to give you freedom to prepare properly, no hell hole venues for qualifiers, the flat 128 draw hasn’t changed anything with regards to who the winners and losers are. All it has done is make the winners play extra matches for no reason"

As Mark Allens exits to some lad Jimmy White never heard of. The top players can be beaten.

Postby Holden Chinaski

"Is it right Kyren Wilson has to play today in Belfast? after finishing lasts nights final? Should there be a rule that allows a player at least 96 hours rest between events, so they can get focused and give the fans the best performance they can?"

Postby Chalk McHugh

Holden Chinaski wrote:"Is it right Kyren Wilson has to play today in Belfast? after finishing lasts nights final? Should there be a rule that allows a player at least 96 hours rest between events, so they can get focused and give the fans the best performance they can?"

Think a couple of days off is neccessary with mental exhaustion and travel.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think Hearn has done a good job.
Some strange bits but overall very good.
128 is fair IMO

Bullocks. 128 totally sucks. Top players should not have to play against numpties. The old system with the top 16 automatically qualifying was perfect. Why change that, I don't know. >-(
That's why the Masters and the Itv events are so great to watch, you've got quality stuff.

The idiot Hearn destroyed the UK. It used to be a top event, now it's a shell of what it used to be. :sad:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
128 is fair IMO

Bullocks. 128 totally sucks. Top players should not have to play against numpties. The old system with the top 16 automatically qualifying was perfect. Why change that, I don't know. >-(
That's why the Masters and the Itv events are so great to watch, you've got quality stuff.

The idiot Hearn destroyed the UK. It used to be a top event, now it's a shell of what it used to be. :sad:

I agree.

Postby eraserhead

128 is fair IMO

Do you think the world championship is fair?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

eraserhead wrote:
128 is fair IMO

Do you think the world championship is fair?

Not in the strictest sense but it is the best format for that tournament IMO

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Not in the strictest sense but it is the best format for that tournament IMO

Makes the qualifying brilliant but every year now I think how mad I'd be if I was ranked 17th. I just want Shanghai masters to go back to the top 32 format and have top players who lose first round not have ranking points count.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

eraserhead wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Not in the strictest sense but it is the best format for that tournament IMO

Makes the qualifying brilliant but every year now I think how mad I'd be if I was ranked 17th. I just want Shanghai masters to go back to the top 32 format and have top players who lose first round not have ranking points count.

Yeah I do see the point. I guess no system is perfect but I quite like seeing the lower players against the best sometimes.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yeah I do see the point. I guess no system is perfect but I quite like seeing the lower players against the best sometimes.

I quite like the home nations format for that with wildcards for players like Jackson Page.

Postby Snooker89

I don't know why they cant use the World Championship qualifying format all ranking tournaments. Obviously not 144 players but protect the top 16 and don't give them ranking points if they loose their first round match. You would solve all the logistical issues with bringing more than 32 to the venue and you could also then have either better venues or the existing ones better for the players.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Agree and disagree with some points.

Flat 128 is fine and you need them for the lower ranked players. What they need to do is give the top 16 a second round bye so they play when there's 64 players or 32 players left.

This way, the top guys who 99.9% of the time win the big tournaments get a few days rest when the next tournament starts, especially when it involves travelling to other countries and the lower ranked guys avoid having to play the top guys early on, they get to play opponents on their level and earn some money.

One great thing Hearn has done is the ITV events. Those are brilliant, actual tv coverage. Champion of Champions, World Grand Prix, Players Championship and the Tour Championships are going to be some of the most pretigious events in the future. Lots of money, great venues, itv coverage, no one will want to skip it. These events are like a concert - electrifying for the players and the audience.

Postby Snooker89

Agree on the ITV events.Ronnie can also remember what snooker was like when he first came into the game and Hendry also mentioned that it wasn't the same without the Big Tobacco companies. Every event sponsored by them was a big event and there was allot of hospitality put on for the players.While he probably wouldn't admit this publicly Barry hearn knows that while progress has been made snooker is a long way off what it was.

Postby gallantrabbit

Most of O'sullivan's words are the words of a small child and don't stand up. Go see how many players earned 20k ten years ago and how many have earned 40k already in November. Arguments don't stand up. Hearn has done a great job. There is an argument for seeding top 16 or 32 ttrough a couple of rounds but giving top 16 players a curtain of protection for a season like the old days is a nonsense.
Funny it's only really O'sullivan complaining about the venues. There isn't the money of tennis or golf, but there's an awful lot more than before.
I thinkk Hearn expected to be able to use Ronnie as a flag bearer, but the spoilt child has rarely said a good word since Hearn took over. That is just his antagonistic childish nature. I love waching him play, but could well do without listening to his pointless utternces.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yeah I do see the point. I guess no system is perfect but I quite like seeing the lower players against the best sometimes.

I quite like the home nations format for that with wildcards for players like Jackson Page.

I did enjoy my time in York last year, when I went to the Last-128.

All players were there, and I got to choose which table to sit on/who to watch.

Some of the games ended up 6-1 or so, but not all of them. There's invariably some upset. I saw Leo Fernandez beat Ding 6-5.

Postby gallantrabbit

10 years ago 52 players made 20k the whole season.
This season 34 players have made double that. I know expenses are up, but not to that degree. O'sullivan's 'arguments' are mostly non-arguments. Go play snooker Ronnie and sop your sneering and sniping. You do plenty for the game on the table. Keep yer trap shut and do a little off table too.

Postby gallantrabbit

Snooker89 wrote:Agree on the ITV events.Ronnie can also remember what snooker was like when he first came into the game and Hendry also mentioned that it wasn't the same without the Big Tobacco companies. Every event sponsored by them was a big event and there was allot of hospitality put on for the players.While he probably wouldn't admit this publicly Barry hearn knows that while progress has been made snooker is a long way off what it was.

Yeah we were handed free cigarettes at the venues...
Just belly aching for the sake of it.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Ronnie is a flag-bearer for snooker, despite what comes out of his gob at times.

He does talk a lot of fanny, but I agree with this point about Kyren Wilson yesterday.

Postby gallantrabbit

If he said Wilson should not have played yesterday then I agree. That's a glaring error by WS. But O'sullivan NEVER focuses on the positives of Hearn's reign. He's a berk.
Don't see Federer belly-aching about 128s in THE biggest events of the year...