Post a reply

Next player to win a World title in his 20's.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker as we know has become an old mans game in recent time.

And Neil Robertson (in 2010) is the last and most recent player winning a World title in his 20's. At the age of 28 to be more precise. Who's next?

You have established players like Trump,Wilson,McGill who are all in their mid/late 20's.
When it comes to Trump he has one last chance in 2019 before he turns 30 in august.

Lisowski has improved but I think winning the World title is a step too far for him.

Brecel is very young but hasn't played well at all since winning his first ranker. But age is on his side.

And then you have a lot of Chinese talents like Bingtao,Yuelong,Xintong and probably many more to come we don't even know yet.

So what do you think?

Re: Next player to win a World title in his 20's.

Postby The_Abbott

Its only a matter of time before Yan dominates.

I can't see Trump ever winning the World's.

Maybe Wilson is the best opportunity for a young home grown player to win it soon.

Nobody seems to be playing consistent enough which allows the old boys to come in and win.

Postby mick745

Good question. At one time I thought someone like Oli Lines may have been motoring up the rankings.

Michael White is another that seems destined to be a middling top 32 player at best.

It is difficult to look outside the foreign contingent therefore. Sunny Akani is only 22, Noppon another Thai player is getting good results, Hussain from Iran is showing a steady ranking improvement.

Alexander Ursenbacher got to a ranking semi but has done nothing since.

Therefore it is difficult to see any youngster breaking through outside the young Chinese contingent.

Postby Andre147

Kyren Wilson is the best best.

Luca too if he can work on his consistency. Yan Bingtao could be a dark horse I think.

Other than those 3 cant really see who will be the next 20 something winning it.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wilson seems to be the best bet. He has a family, so I think that has had a good impact on his career in the sense that it gives him a purpose and motivation to do well. Plus he's very disciplined and trains properly.

Trump's got cue action problems and he's mentally weak.

Akani doesn't stand a chance whatsoever to win the WC. Ever.

Brecel needs to spend more time on the practice table and less on tattoos. And he also needs to shave that stupid beard. He's embarrasing himself by trying to look like a man when he's just a teenager.

As 4 the Chinese guys, they are too raw atm. Maybe the will do better in the future. Xintong seems to be the most talented, and has improved in the past half year, so he might have a bright future ahead. Time will tell.

Postby Andre147

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:From 1990 to 2006 there were 15 World Champions in their 20's..

Doesnt surprise me.

Only Hendry in 1999 was 30 I think, and by then he'd already won 6 i his 20s.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:From 1990 to 2006 there were 15 World Champions in their 20's..

Doesnt surprise me.

Hendry was 29 in 1999, still at his peak.

Postby sas6789

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Doesnt surprise me.

He was born on 13th January 1969 and the 99 world championship was from 17th April - 3rd May 1999, he was 30 actually.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Doesnt surprise me.

He was born on 13th January 1969 and the 99 world championship was from 17th April - 3rd May 1999, he was 30 actually.

Yes but when the season began he was in his 20's. Under the classification agreed in 1953 by Jack Karnehm, Joe Davis and Walter Donaldson and sanctioned by the WBPSA (or to wit as was then known the British and Empire Billiards Association), a players agreed age on winning the Championship was his age at the start of the season during which he won it.

To that end, Cloud Strife is correct that Hendry was in his twenties when he won that title. We must be careful when we conflate age as computed from birthdate as that recognised by the appropriate awarding sporting body.

It was an easy mistake to make SAS6789, but perhaps with a little more research you would not have made it. However, in your favour is the fact that this system of allocating age to sporting achievement is unique (or should we say trinique haha) to snooker, billiards and clay pigeon shooting.

As they say - the devil is in the detail.

Postby Andre147

Lol that doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Hendry won his last world title when he was 30, period.

So you can tell me for instance if a player is 29 right at the start of the season, and then turns 30 just a few days later, all the title he wins in that season are regarded as being 29? LOL give me a break.

He did win his last at 30 years of age and thats it.

Postby Ronnie79

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Doesnt surprise me.

No he wasn't he was 30 years old actually #facts

Postby Ronnie79

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Doesnt surprise me.

Yes but when the season began he was in his 20's. Under the classification agreed in 1953 by Jack Karnehm, Joe Davis and Walter Donaldson and sanctioned by the WBPSA (or to wit as was then known the British and Empire Billiards Association), a players agreed age on winning the Championship was his age at the start of the season during which he won it.

To that end, Cloud Strife is correct that Hendry was in his twenties when he won that title. We must be careful when we conflate age as computed from birthdate as that recognised by the appropriate awarding sporting body.

It was an easy mistake to make SAS6789, but perhaps with a little more research you would not have made it. However, in your favour is the fact that this system of allocating age to sporting achievement is unique (or should we say trinique haha) to snooker, billiards and clay pigeon shooting.

bullocks hendry was 30 winning his last WC

Postby kolompar

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
sas6789 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Doesnt surprise me.

Good post, always good to learn about the game's history.