Post a reply

World Series of Snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Is there any realistic plans that this will ever come back as a format? To be honest, I didn't mind watching it, despite a lot of the matches not being close. Though, it was poorly organised and going nowhere before the Higgins allegations.

Any realistic chance that these events will come back from this? What are people's opinions?

World Series of Snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Is there any realistic plans that this will ever come back as a format? To be honest, I didn't mind watching it, despite a lot of the matches not being close. Though, it was poorly organised and going nowhere before the Higgins allegations.

Any realistic chance that these events will come back from this? What are people's opinions?

Re: World Series of Snooker

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Is there any realistic plans that this will ever come back as a format? To be honest, I didn't mind watching it, despite a lot of the matches not being close. Though, it was poorly organised and going nowhere before the Higgins allegations.

I hope we have seen the last of this muck. <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

It’s a shame but NotW have ruined the World Series forever. Even if Higgins gets cleared (which I fully expect will happen) the Series will always be tarnished by the despicable scandal from the newspaper we know as scumbag News of the World.

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Is there any realistic plans that this will ever come back as a format? To be honest, I didn't mind watching it, despite a lot of the matches not being close. Though, it was poorly organised and going nowhere before the Higgins allegations.

I hope we have seen the last of this muck. <ok>

It wasn't too bad as an exhibition event. I mean, short matches against amateurs obviously, but put ranking points on it, and make it a week longer and you've got the World Open. <laugh>

Am I the only one who didn't mind these?

Postby gallantrabbit

I think Hearny was planning to incorporate it in PTC anyway. He said that he wanted to use it as a battering ram to get into countries. Higgins only started it because the board at the time was doing NOTHING.
Sick of the Higgins story now. Give him a fine for being super naive and let's get on with it. Burnett did far worse in front of the tv cameras and NOTHING has happened to him.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:I think Hearny was planning to incorporate it in PTC anyway. He said that he wanted to use it as a battering ram to get into countries. Higgins only started it because the board at the time was doing NOTHING.
Sick of the Higgins story now. Give him a fine for being super naive and let's get on with it. Burnett did far worse in front of the tv cameras and NOTHING has happened to him.

I can't see why people are so quick to blame Burnett, but forget that if he did it, Maguire would have to be in on it too.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Muck <ok>

Explain to me why?

the whole concept.................

messing with the game (sometimes 10 reds), playing pros vs local amateurs (no appeal to me), playing in venues that do not fill (not always the case but it did happen)....................... not ranking, not proper snooker :wave:

M U C K <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Watch the video Snookerfan. If you know the game you'll be convinced that Burnett doesn't want the balls to go down. He plays horrendous position and also gets a fluke. It's not just the final black although my 9 month old son would have got closer with his left hand. Screamingly obvious and no Maguire wouldn't have to be in on it. If the score had to be 10-9 he'd have been in on it. 10-3 no.

Postby Roland

gallantrabbit wrote:I think Hearny was planning to incorporate it in PTC anyway. He said that he wanted to use it as a battering ram to get into countries. Higgins only started it because the board at the time was doing NOTHING.

Spot on.

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Muck <ok>

Explain to me why?

the whole concept.................

messing with the game (sometimes 10 reds), playing pros vs local amateurs (no appeal to me), playing in venues that do not fill (not always the case but it did happen)....................... not ranking, not proper snooker :wave:

M U C K <ok>

The ten reds, I agree with you. Though I did enjoy the six-reds tournament I did watch, I wanted it limited to a once a year deal. 15 reds or nothing, for me.

But that's the only point for which I agree. If anything, I think the pros vs local amateurs isn't too bad a concept. They are only exhibition matches anyway, so what's the problem? You get the next day with the winners of these matches playing each other, so end up with pro-vs-pro the majority of times anyway, unless one of the amateurs was good enough to spring an upset. We've reached a point now, where there seems to be a lot more emphasis on pro-ams then ever before. Personally, I don't think having amateurs play in rankers is the way forward. But having pro-am non-ranking tournaments are a fantastic idea. Like I've said before, I think in an ideal world we would've kept the Grand Prix as a ranker, and stuck the World Open as a non-ranker around November time as an invitational event. Nothing wrong with trying to expand the fan-base in Europe.

The fact that it is non-ranking doesn't appeal to you? I take it The Masters didn't appeal to you either then? Nothing wrong at all in my eyes in exhibition tournaments, as long as they don't replace proper ranking tournaments. The Seniors World Championship is going to be the same.

The tournaments being in half-full arenas isn't good. But The Crucible aside, what tournament doesn't that apply to these days? At least at times.

No, these tournaments aren't as good as rankers. But I found ideas like these more interesting then shitty Power Snooker, as long as they are 15-reds. <ok>

Postby Wildey

its being played this season and called EPTC with Ranking points on offer.

this was always the plan for the World Series whatever happened with Higgins and Mooney.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:

its being played this season and called EPTC with Ranking points on offer.

this was always the plan for the World Series whatever happened with Higgins and Mooney.

See, I never believed something like the World Series should have ranking points. The PTC is different, I know, but I reserve judgement on that until I can actually watch some of it myself.

I think as a fun little invitational, nothing wrong with the idea. Calling it muck is a bit unfair. I saw a Legends of Snooker event earlier in the year. Lots of players of yesteryear playing, had a good night. Nothing wrong with invitationals, it's when they start messing with the rules I disagree with.

Postby gallantrabbit

For me there's nothing wrong with pros against amateurs. Why protect anyone?? The worst time in the game was just before it opened up in the early 90s where you had literally hundreds of good amateurs in the wings and a large pile of dead wood in the pro game. Meritocracy, let them play. Not in all tournaments of course but at least give the amateur game a sniff. My god it needs one.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
The ten reds, I agree with you. Though I did enjoy the six-reds tournament I did watch, I wanted it limited to a once a year deal. 15 reds or nothing, for me.

But that's the only point for which I agree. If anything, I think the pros vs local amateurs isn't too bad a concept. They are only exhibition matches anyway, so what's the problem? You get the next day with the winners of these matches playing each other, so end up with pro-vs-pro the majority of times anyway, unless one of the amateurs was good enough to spring an upset. We've reached a point now, where there seems to be a lot more emphasis on pro-ams then ever before. Personally, I don't think having amateurs play in rankers is the way forward. But having pro-am non-ranking tournaments are a fantastic idea. Like I've said before, I think in an ideal world we would've kept the Grand Prix as a ranker, and stuck the World Open as a non-ranker around November time as an invitational event. Nothing wrong with trying to expand the fan-base in Europe.

The fact that it is non-ranking doesn't appeal to you? I take it The Masters didn't appeal to you either then? Nothing wrong at all in my eyes in exhibition tournaments, as long as they don't replace proper ranking tournaments. The Seniors World Championship is going to be the same.

The tournaments being in half-full arenas isn't good. But The Crucible aside, what tournament doesn't that apply to these days? At least at times.

No, these tournaments aren't as good as rankers. But I found ideas like these more interesting then shitty Power Snooker, as long as they are 15-reds. <ok>

I will not tolerate 5 red, 10 red or any other bastardisation (shot clocks included) - FACT.

Pro-ams might be good at generating interest but that does not mean its attractive to watch (for me anyway). I have to be watching 2 pros go at it. I think the World Open is a great idea as it provides a necessary carrot to dangle in front of the amateurs. I certainly would not go to watch an exhibition or anything with pros vs amateurs.

The Masters is part of snooker tradition, its elite field means you tend to get a good standard, but its not my favourite tourney (not even close).

Seniors World Champs is in the same boat as PTC........................ not on the radar. <ok>

Postby gallantrabbit

Ten red six red power whatever. Just think of it as marketing. And it keeps the players happy as they have one more earning opportunity and there's been an absolute dearth of those recently. Such events will attract a new public. And then the addiction of snooker can work it's magic ;)

Postby Wildey

its not the same lol

in the EPTC theres 200+ players playing compared to 12 in the WSOS but the idea of spreading snooker like the World series is the same.

the idea was 4 in sheffield,4 in europe and 4 ferther affield but the mooney business meant they had to have a re think on it.

Postby gallantrabbit

Stalin if Hearn had come in and just tried to promote big time ranking events in theatres around England he would have lasted five minutes. You might not like all this stuff but it's the price we have to pay for allowing the game to slipdeep down.

We don't have the amateur pool we used to but don't diss the amateurs too much. There are a lot of good lads out there.

Postby Smart

gallantrabbit wrote:Stalin if Hearn had come in and just tried to promote big time ranking events in theatres around England he would have lasted five minutes. You might not like all this stuff but it's the price we have to pay for allowing the game to slipdeep down.

We don't have the amateur pool we used to but don't diss the amateurs too much. There are a lot of good lads out there.

Not dissing them, but equally I would not want to go out and watch them either. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I will not tolerate 5 red, 10 red or any other bastardisation (shot clocks included) - FACT.

Pro-ams might be good at generating interest but that does not mean its attractive to watch (for me anyway). I have to be watching 2 pros go at it. I think the World Open is a great idea as it provides a necessary carrot to dangle in front of the amateurs. I certainly would not go to watch an exhibition or anything with pros vs amateurs.

The Masters is part of snooker tradition, its elite field means you tend to get a good standard, but its not my favourite tourney (not even close).

Seniors World Champs is in the same boat as PTC........................ not on the radar. <ok>

The bit in bold I am very much in agreement on. I feel Power Snooker, and Shootout aren't going to interest me too greatly. (Hopefully I am wrong, and I love them), but I'd much rather see 15-reds, 147-possible snooker. Not want-to-be-like pool snooker. I didn't watch 6-red World Series, to be honest. Just the normal 15-red ones.

To your other points, of course there's nothing wrong with wanting to watch the best play the best. This was perhaps my objection to the World Open when it was first suggested, but am happy to watch that before I give my final verdict on what it's like as an event.

Don't forget, the World Series wasn't meant to be pushed in the same vein as other tournaments. I felt, for what it was, it was entertaining. You could spend an evening watching snooker, nothing major, just a few frames with some lesser known (albeit also lesser good) players. Personally, this holds more appeal to me then this Power Snooker cobblers. The tournament wasn't comparable to real snooker, but I had mates round and beers for them. Personally I quite enjoyed them.

We'll have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Postby gallantrabbit

You're choice if you want to watch Stalin. We're different. If you've made a 147 mate I'd probably enjoy watching you play!

Postby SnookerFan

I take the point, who would you rather watch John Higgins vs Ronnie O'Sullivan (my favourite ever match, by the way), or Jim from down the club vs Bob who only learned the rules yesterday, it's a no-brainer.

But I was just making the point, that these little pro-ams, 15-red events, can have a place, if played to supplement the main tour. Nobody is pretending they are ranking events, nor should they be.

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Stalin if Hearn had come in and just tried to promote big time ranking events in theatres around England he would have lasted five minutes. You might not like all this stuff but it's the price we have to pay for allowing the game to slipdeep down.

Not dissing them, but equally I would not want to go out and watch them either. <ok>

nobody asking you to go out and watch them the sport wont live or die on you watching them <ok>

Postby Wildey

Personally i think the sport is in a healthy state when a governing body says we will run tournaments and we dont need people to watch it.

yes id love to watch the PTC but its obviously not necessity for the success of the tournament or Hearn Would do it in a heartbeat

Postby gallantrabbit

I'm almost 100% sure that Hearn wants spectaors in for the PTC events. I think there were two points behind Hearn's PTC thinking though: 1. I need to get these fellows playing asap cos that's what I've promised them and 2. I need to use the Sheffield venue cos it's costing the WSA a fortune as a luxury practice room and I need to get more value out of it.

By the way no-one suggests that anyone goes out to watch Bob and Dave who've just worked out which end of the stick to hold. Any amateur who gets close to a World Open spot is going to be a pretty tasty player.

Postby Wildey

these are the best of the best Amateurs.

Sam Craigie the WU21 Champion who will be on the main tour next year and his brother Stephen the only Amateur player to reach a PTC Last 16 isnt in it that is how tough qualifying for it was.

and your right gallant everything is work in progress and dont anyone forget Hearn is still clearing up the mess of 30+ years of mismanagement.

Postby Roland

As far as I understand it, they are being replaced by the EPTC events and that was the plan before the sting.