Post a reply

Snooker: Let's stand by it

Postby Tubberlad

If there's one argument that has become a thorn in the side of our great game, it's probably the delusion that 'the characters that were once abundant in snooker are now non-existent'. People who only have a passing interest in snooker, or hold a grudge of sort against it's success, particularly in term of television ratings, constantly shove this argument in our face and say the game is dead, finito, gone. How many times have we read articles by sports 'experts' in our main newspapers telling us that Ronnie O'Sullivan is carrying snooker's mutilated corpse on his back, and when he goes, the beautiful game's burial is nigh. These people don't know the ins and outs, the intricacies and finer points of our game. The only players that are still in action that they can probably name are O'Sullivan, Hendry, Davis and White, and as we all know, three of those players have long since passed their heyday

Yet they still tell us, that the characters are gone, and that those who watch this game and await snooker news each and every day are living a dream if we say the game still has characters and if we believe snooker has a future.

Well would you believe, it's us, the true snooker fans, who are right.

Yes, it is true to say that snooker has it's problems. Sponsorship is poor. Attendances uninspiring. Prize money not terribly hectic. But that's down to an organisation who aren't fit for purpose to put it mildly.

Unfortunately, snooker's shining light, it's voice, and the most eloquent critic of the cronies in charge had his role downgraded last year. BBC commentator Clive Everton was always the man fighting for our sport, even when it was backed into the darkest of corners. Without Everton, what hope does the game possibly have?

Well Everton may not have the power he once had, but the fans most certainly do. Unfortunately, many fans take a negative outlook on the game's problems, offering snooker a kick while it's down rather than the helping hand it should have outstretched. But it's time we changed. We want what's best for our game. We want to see it at full health, and realising it's golden potential.

The standard of play has never been better. The century county is significantly higher nowadays and the days when a break of 30 would all but clinch you a frame are now long gone.

Anyone who claims there are no characters in snooker and shielding themselves from an altogether more comforting truth. Can you honestly tell me Cliff Thorburn, Steve Davis, Rex Williams and Terry Griffiths had stronger personalities than the current crop of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Mark Allen, the increasingly colourful Neil Robertson, Liang Wenbo, and Judd Trump. Tell me that, and we've got a man who's not afraid of a lie detector.

TV Ratings remain strong, we still got a few million for the final sessions of the last two world finals, even though the destiny of the Joe Davis trophy had long been decided before those final shots. And the myth that snooker is relying on Ronnie O'Sullivan is just that....a myth. Ratings for the World Championships this decade have been higher in years when Ronnie WASN'T crowned king at the Crucible.

The game continues to flourish in China. Popularity is spreading across Mainland Europe. And young starlets like Mark Allen, Jamie Cope, Michael White, Judd Trump, Luca Brecel, Liang Wenbo and Ding Junhui are spearheading a new generation to ensure this magical game remains in safe hands.

Too often we've kicked our sport while it lies on the ground. Snooker's fans must stay strong in the face of criticisim from followers of other more 'fashionable' games, who mock snooker, but in truth are jealous at how this sport remains the second most popular in Britain despite it's less than glamorous appearance. If the fans don't stand by a game, then that game has no hope. If we stand by snooker, herald it's cause, and promote it because it's the game we love, then there is no reason why it can't survive.

The media like to think snooker is dead. We know better.
Last edited by Tubberlad on 09 Oct 2009, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Snooker: Let's stand by it

Postby Roland

Spot on <ok>

I started my snooker internet commenting career (!) because I used to get so wound up reading comments like "there's no characters any more" and "it was better in the 80's when they had characters" everywhere. It's still probably the number one topic most likely to get me enraged. I will cut those people down to size and defend this sport until the day I die.

And when O'Sullivan hangs up his cue, it will be the end of an era but anyone thinking it will spell the end of snooker is sadly mistaken. Snooker in the UK may have peaked a long time ago, but across the rest of the world it's growing significantly. It's down to our governing body to exploit this market, but alas they seem incapable of late.

Postby MED

thats a great post thetubberlad

i know of a girl in Germany shes only 21 and she became a fan of snooker in 2006 thanks to eurosport and her favorite player is Anthony Hamilton and then Stephen Maguire.

she has no time for Ronnie O'Sullivan as a person or player and although he is very popular in the sport there are many other such people who support the lesser names rather than the "COOL" well known names because they love the sport first and foremost.

Postby Wildey

totally agree with most things thats said i dont believe standards are higher i think standard is very similar for the last 20 years but snooker as a product has never been better with more atacking players than ever before maybee to atacking to the detrament of their carear.

but theres a lot of possitives in the sport which unfortunally through snobish or whatever the press just loves to concentrate on the negatives and twist it to meaning snooker is dieing.

snooker has never been watched by more people than it is at the moment and like you say still very high up in British viewing figures despite the inept way its managed.

Postby Tubberlad

Yes, people are delibirately ignoring the positives! :banghead: Nobody talks about high standards (you dont have to agree with that Wild, you're entitled to your opinion), very good tv ratings, and characters like Liang Wenbo, Mark Allen and Neil Robertson.

Postby Seifer Almasy

yes but what ultimately matters is sponsor, prize money and ranking events, and the sport is coming up short on all fronts.

There is no way a sport with 6 ranking events can be called healthy...

Postby Tubberlad

I didn't shy away from that Seifer, but what I'm saying is the product is there and the fans need to get behind the game rather than kick it while it's down. The main problem with snooker is those in charge...there are many positives, they just need to be utitlised. For example, I believe there's more then enough room for 9 rankers, but World Snooker continues to peddle this Super Six rubbish. The game has potential, but it can't realise it with those in charge.

Postby Wildey

this is the best era to be a snooker supporter of the sport but the worst time to be a player because of lack of cash etc.

like thetubberlad said why does fans kick the sport.

if the fans kick it eventually mud sticks and it wont encourage new fans because if fans kick it what chance is there.

administration needs sorting not the sport and while they fannieng about with shot clocks,6 reds etc whats important gets forgotten about and left behind.

Postby Tubberlad

Unfortunately, there's a serious miserablist culture infesting itself in snooker. We asked for variety, we got a random draw for the Grand Prix, which I thought was a terrific idea, a badly needed breath of fresh air. What do the fans do? Give out that the two best players had to play each other in round two. It seems snooker fans walk around the place looking like this>>>> :frown:

Postby Wildey

speaking from persanal experiance when theres snooker on even when snooker scene comes through the post im like this >>>>> :D