Post a reply

Re: D88.com European Masters Quarter-Finals !!!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

kolompar wrote:Jimmy is a level below journeyman <ok>

It irks me when players are called journeymen.

It feels the same as when Ronnie O'Sullivan denigrates players who he deems as lesser talents.

Most of these players have grafted all their life to get where they are just for lazy 'journeyman' comments to be thrown or to be insulted by Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Let's take a proper look at the man who calls other players 'numpties'

Never had to work.
Had his own snooker table as a kid.
Dad provided all money he wanted until he became financially stable.
If he had failed he would have been financially fine for the rest of his life.

Most lower ranked professionals have to work and then squeeze in practice and matches. Their mortgages depend on them doing well, and they hope to make a living out of the game. Every match they are under immense pressure to do well in order to put bread on the table, and secure their tour card for next year. That is real pressure.

And then Ronnie calls them numpties and we call them journeymen.
:clap:

Postby Wildey

kolompar wrote:
Wildey wrote:Going back to the 80s you had Silvino Francisco winning a ranking event then in the 90s you had Tony Jones winning a Ranking tournament late 90s Brian Morgan came so close to beating Ronnie in a ranking final and early 2000s David Gray winning.

You will always have players coming from nowhere to win tournaments it has nothing to do with formats as Vodka says its just life these days there so many events you bound to get it more frequant.

Selby has won more PTC Events than any other player they were best of 7s.

Francisco and Gray were proper top players.

Tony Jones might be similar, he actually won the European Open. But we got 4 Tony Joneses here, 3 of them long past their best.

Thats a reflection on the other players and not on the tournament.

as for francisco and Gray being a proper player 3 of the 4 has better record than both of them.

Postby The_Abbott

I just think its the way sport is going.

Tennis is also ruled by old players.

I think old players are more focused than the younger players. They are probably itching to check their phones all the time.

Postby Iranu

I think we're just in between eras. I'm sure there'll be young players steping up eventually.

They just may not be from Britain.

As for the class of '92, there's literally been one era of Ronnie/Higgins/MJW in the 100+ year history of the sport, so it's unfair to judge future generations by them.

Postby Wildey

in the 80s and 90s people were crying out for new winners "same old faces all the time" now we get to see new faces and some old faces but not the same faces every tournament.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:in the 80s and 90s people were crying out for new winners "same old faces all the time" now we get to see new faces and some old faces but not the same faces every tournament.

I have always been baffled by this.

In the 1980s, people were sick of Davis winning.

In the 1990s, people were sick of Hendry winning.

Now people act like Ronnie losing a match is worse than watching their parents die.

We seem to want the same person winning now. How times change.

Postby Iranu

Exaggeration aside, people feel that way about Ronnie because he's never been a truly dominant force in the game. Only in the last 6-7 years has he been regularly winning events without being interrupted by implosions.

If he'd been the dominant player from 21 years of age everyone would probably feel differently.

He's kind of had the perfect "fan favourite career" in that sense.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:Exaggeration aside, people feel that way about Ronnie because he's never been a truly dominant force in the game. Only in the last 6-7 years has he been regularly winning events without being interrupted by implosions.

If he'd been the dominant player from 21 years of age everyone would probably feel differently.

He's kind of had the perfect "fan favourite career" in that sense.

As a fan yes there's no better player than ROS to be a fan of.

Still winning tournaments 26 years after turning pro. Probably the worst time to be a ROS fan was between 2010-2011 when many, even me, thought he would retire for good given he kept losing in the first rounds of tounaments and if he ever was close to quiting, that was the time. Similar to how close MJW was to retire before last season.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I think people would be happier with so many tournament winners if there were at least some of them being young players who haven't been around for years. The finalists of this tournament isn't too bad as Perry hasn't won much and Robertson could turn out to be a late bloomer. It's the likes of the other Robertson, Ding, Trump, Allen, Murphy etc who seem to win a tournament every year and produce the odd big result but have no consistency. The Top 16 could do with some new blood and less players going through the motions.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
I have always been baffled by this.

In the 1980s, people were sick of Davis winning.

In the 1990s, people were sick of Hendry winning.

Now people act like Ronnie losing a match is worse than watching their parents die.

We seem to want the same person winning now. How times change.

You can't compare Davis and Hendry with Ronnie though. Ronnie has never dominated Snooker the way the former two did. As Iranu said, it's just been since six years or so (since working with Peters) he's gained some consistency and been winning multiple big titles each season. But even then his last world title still dates back to 2013. Thats a pretty long time.

And another factor is that he just has a much bigger fanbase than the former two. So naturally there are more people wanting him to win all the time.

Postby SnookerFan

I guess. But you can't tell me if Ronnie had dominated, everybody would have hated him?

I know what you mean though. He hasn't win almost literally every tournament for a decade, like Davis or Hendry.

He's won enough that it shouldn't be considered such a catastrophe when he loses one match, was my point.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:I guess. But you can't tell me if Ronnie had dominated, everybody would have hated him?

I know what you mean though. He hasn't win almost literally every tournament for a decade, like Davis or Hendry.

He's won enough that it shouldn't be considered such a catastrophe when he loses one match, was my point.

Maybe not hate but he probably wouldn't be as popular as he is today. People might have regarded and described him as another "boring winning machine" (to put it an exaggerated terms).

But you're still probably right though that he wouldn't have gotten the degree of hate or antipathy a Davis or Hendry got. Davis and Hendry may have played the game differently. But they were very alike in terms of a perfect discipline and they strived to be the perfect champion. Basicially they were your perfect pros without any flaws.

ROS though is just too different. May it be his complex personality. Or his style of play. ROS just seems to attract a lot of viewers because of that.

Postby SnookerFan

I still disagree.

It's different times. People used to love an underdog. Not sure that's true any more.

I agree that part of it is personality, and Hendry and Davis were perceived as having none.

Postby TheRocket

Maybe you're right. I don't know. We see in tennis that Federers absolute dominance didn't do him any harm in terms of popularity (sorry to bring that example lol).

But yeah. Imo its more a part of personality and style of play thing than anything else which determines popularity

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Rubbish.

He'd still be as popular.

No he wouldn't.

It doesn't have anything to do with being an underdog. Ronnie's popular because of his unpredictability throughout his career, and yes because of the way he plays. But if he had been predictably winning world titles consistently from his first days on tour (and remember, that was 26 years ago so whether times have changed now is irrelevant) he wouldn't have half the fan base he does. It's only because consistent wins have started coming late in his career that he's maintained his fanbase. For them, it's almost a 'vindication' of following him, so they're revelling in it.

Look at Selby. He's been the dominant player for the past 4 years or so and his popularity has suffered because of it.