Post a reply

Tickets being given away at Tescos

Postby SnookerFan

I have just taken this from the World Snooker website.

Earn World Open Tickets With Tesco
World Snooker has teamed up with Tesco to give shoppers the chance to watch the world's best snooker players at the World Open in Glasgow in September.

Just £7 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers* can be exchanged for an all-day ticket for any day between September 18 and 25. While £20 worth of Clubcard vouchers can be exchanged for an all-day ticket to the final day of the tournament, Sunday September 26. Clubcard customers can get further information on how to exchange at http://www.tesco.com/clubcard** Tesco's Clubcard scheme awards customers 2 points every time they spend £1 in stores or online, and every 100 points is worth £1 in Clubcard vouchers.

A spokesman for World Snooker said: "We're delighted to team up with Britain's biggest supermarket chain and give more people the chance to come to watch the best snooker players on the planet in action.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for Tesco shoppers to come and watch one of our most enthralling events without having to pay for tickets, and we'd urge anyone who hasn't been to snooker before to give it a try."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(There details of how to do it are up on the website.) What do people make of this? I am torn between it being a good marketing campaign, or a move of desperation. It probably tells you what you need to know about ticket sales for this event. It could easily be interpreted as bad marketing, if you take the headline literally. It's like admitting ticket sales are poor.

But we all knew tickets sales were down and something needs to be done about it. It might prove a masterstroke in the long run. If people start going to snooker, and start liking it, at no cost to themselves, then that can only be a good thing. Maybe next time they come, they'll pay.

If World Snooker have any sense, they'll market this heavily at Tesco outlets. Nothing wrong with whacking up a lot of posters at Tescos, especially ones near the venue. If you get Ronnie, Ding and Hendry's mug everywhere advertising the promotion, whilst people are wondering around doing shopping, it'll get the event some exposure none-the-less.

Raising awareness of the tournaments is as much of a problem with ranking events as the fact that there at 15 reds on the table and no shot clock.

Re: Tickets being given away at Tescos

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:
case_master wrote:Tesco club points = snooker tickets <laugh> <laugh>

I take it you are against the idea?

Well yea, first I don’t think people will trade their points for snooker tickets and second it seems a bit desperate. Just my opinion

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
case_master wrote:Tesco club points = snooker tickets <laugh> <laugh>

I take it you are against the idea?

Well yea, first I don’t think people will trade their points for snooker tickets and second it seems a bit desperate. Just my opinion

Kind of depends whether it works as a marketing tool. It does look a bit desperate on the surface, and may give people that are snooker haters something to laugh about, but at the same time I think they're trying to attract people who wouldn't go normally. Obviously, if you've got no interest, you'll ignore this offer. If you've got a casual interest, have never been, and live near the venue, this might encourage you to go. If you enjoy it, you may go again. And buy them this time.

Obviously not the saviour of the sport, might get a few extra fans to go, which is kind of what we need. A lot of small things like this might help.

Postby Wildey

this whole marketing ploy for this is a bit tacky

Mark Davis (6 red world champion) v Barry Pinches (twice PTC Finalist)

now its selling tickets off with petrol :chin:

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:this whole marketing ploy for this is a bit tacky

Mark Davis (6 red world champion) v Barry Pinches (twice PTC Finalist)

now its selling tickets off with petrol :chin:

Maybe. Fantastic idea if it brings in new fans. Kind of embarrassing if it doesn't, because what you end up with is tickets being given away at a crappy supermarket. I'm hoping it's all part of a brilliant marketing strategy by Hearn though.... <laugh>

First ticket prices were slashed, then this. I must confess, even with putting a postivie spin on it, which I was trying to do, it does look like people aren't embracing the World Open concept, or at least ticket sales aren't reflecting it if they are. Lets hope it is part of Hearn's plan, hey.

Postby Wildey

as ive pointed out before with this type of event at the moment nobody knows properly who plays who until the qualifiers this weekend then take it from there but for other rounds its random draw just say door open hour befor play then first come first serve on the day.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:as ive pointed out before with this type of event at the moment nobody knows properly who plays who until the qualifiers this weekend then take it from there but for other rounds its random draw just say door open hour befor play then first come first serve on the day.

Yeah, but what about people who travel accross the country to watch snooker? I know they're something of a rarity, but I've done it twice to Telford and to once to Newport. Personally, I'd think twice, unless I had the tickets in my hand.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:as ive pointed out before with this type of event at the moment nobody knows properly who plays who until the qualifiers this weekend then take it from there but for other rounds its random draw just say door open hour befor play then first come first serve on the day.

Yeah, but what about people who travel accross the country to watch snooker? I know they're something of a rarity, but I've done it twice to Telford and to once to Newport. Personally, I'd think twice, unless I had the tickets in my hand.

ive done it all my life the nearest venue for me for years was Preston 2 and a half hours in a car preston is nearer than newport or cardiff for me despite the fact i live in Wales infact Sheffield is the same distance give or take a few miles from me but you get there quicker because of better road.

the nearest venue now is Telford again 2 and a half hours so i understand logistics but whats wrong for people like us calling up reserve seats with a booking reference just quote that at the venue they can tell from the code if you local or not.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

ive done it all my life the nearest venue for me for years was Preston 2 and a half hours in a car preston is nearer than newport or cardiff for me despite the fact i live in Wales infact Sheffield is the same distance give or take a few miles from me but you get there quicker because of better road.

the nearest venue now is Telford again 2 and a half hours so i understand logistics but whats wrong for people like us calling up reserve seats with a booking reference just quote that at the venue they can tell from the code if you local or not.

So you are suggesting that you can reserve seats, but only if you aren't local to the venue. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

So you are suggesting that you can reserve seats, but only if you aren't local to the venue. <laugh>

yes but only on that morning before you start from home not weeks in advance.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm not convinced. When I go to Newport or Telford, I book in hotels. Am I supposed to pre-book the hotel the morning of the event before travelling up as well? Or book hotels at my own risk? What if I don't get the tickets I want?

I know these events are tricky, if we don't know who is in them months in advance sometimes. But I think only selling them the morning of the matches isn't going to help sales. <doh>

Postby paperbackwriter

Now I'm reconsidering, but my first thought was "wow, I'd never go to one of these". I always buy tickets far too early, because I can't stand the faintest possibility that I won't get to the event I've already gotten excited about. On the other hand I doubt I'd feel that it's something I couldn't miss, so whatever.
Still, not the best way to sell the event.

Postby Steve K

To be honest any effort to promote the game to wider audiences should be commended. Its much more than what happend with the previous regime in terms of any mass promotion efforts, and even though not many people will actually take up the offer (Glasgow is a hell of a train journey away from England >_<) it will help bring a few new people to the sport which is a plus.

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:To be honest any effort to promote the game to wider audiences should be commended. Its much more than what happend with the previous regime in terms of any mass promotion efforts, and even though not many people will actually take up the offer (Glasgow is a hell of a train journey away from England >_<) it will help bring a few new people to the sport which is a plus.

yes i doubt nobody much from England or Wales will make the journey its hell on earth in a car or train.

Postby Wildey

StalinESQ wrote:
The Cueist wrote:If you was a real fan Wild you wouldnt even think about the journey. ;) :selby:

I bet he'd moan if there was a tourney in North Wales - and it was not right on his doorstep.............. real fans travel. <ok>

no real fans take a interest in every aspect of the sport not moan like children that they cant see it and stamp their feet <ok>

if you 2 plonkers would look at what i said the journey is hell the reason ive said that is because ive done that journey.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
The Cueist wrote:If you was a real fan Wild you wouldnt even think about the journey. ;) :selby:

I bet he'd moan if there was a tourney in North Wales - and it was not right on his doorstep.............. real fans travel. <ok>

no real fans take a interest in every aspect of the sport not moan like children that they cant see it and stamp their feet <ok>

if you 2 plonkers would look at what i said the journey is hell the reason ive said that is because ive done that journey.

wild = non-fan sitting on his bottom with his baize glove playing with his willy :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

I'm a bigger fan because I travel. No, I'm a bigger fan because I think the PTC are a good idea... Blah Blah.

The point of this thread is to not show off, it's to discuss what we think of this promotion. You boys will be discussing who has the bigger willy next. <doh>

Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing in the short-term. If you do this sort of thing in the long-term, people will be expecting free tickets all the time, and will stop buying them. But to rekindle interest, it's a nice start and should be used for a few tournaments in my opinion. Like I said, it's not going to bring in thousands of new fans, but anything that raises awareness. Long before Hearn took over, I said snooker needed better marketing. Not overloading shot-clocks and gimmicks in ranking events, but to let people know the events are happening. When you can have a ranking event, or major, in a city and the majority of the town doesn't know it's happening, that's unacceptable marketing. But this is the sort of thing that happens in Telford. And probably Wembley as well to an extent.

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

wild = non-fan sitting on his bum with his baize glove playing with his willy :wave:

here we go again.

both of you are correct.
wild a fan is someone who follows every single aspect of the sport, but smart is right tho... a liverpool fan will travell all the way to ainfield every single home game for 90 mins. can you imagine something like london to liverpool every fortnight for half a year for 90mins of football? does seem abit far fetched but they are true fans. Same aspect with snooker a fan will put his hand in his pocket buy some tickets and get in the car or train travel across the country to watch some serious snooker. monique comes to mind here she gets herself about.

Now wild before you say anything this isn't a dig at you because you have explained why you haven't been able to go matches (which is very understandable)

Postby SnookerFan

rocket_ron wrote:here we go again.

both of you are correct.
wild a fan is someone who follows every single aspect of the sport, but smart is right tho... a liverpool fan will travell all the way to ainfield every single home game for 90 mins. can you imagine something like london to liverpool every fortnight for half a year for 90mins of football? does seem abit far fetched but they are true fans. Same aspect with snooker a fan will put his hand in his pocket buy some tickets and get in the car or train travel across the country to watch some serious snooker. monique comes to mind here she gets herself about.

Now wild before you say anything this isn't a dig at you because you have explained why you haven't been able to go matches (which is very understandable)

Would you care to rephrase that? Monique is a lady, I'll have you know. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

ive been to sheffield,blackpool,preston,telford,cardiff,newport,motherwell and london to watch snooker so dont talk about me not traveling to watch however you need a hell of a lot of cash to do the traveling then hotels the tickets is the easy bit and the cheapest bit so living where i am im not going as often as i like and did not go last season at all due to personal private reasons but im hoping to go this year.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive been to sheffield,blackpool,preston,telford,cardiff,newport,motherwell and london to watch snooker so dont talk about me not traveling to watch however you need a hell of a lot of cash to do the traveling then hotels the tickets is the easy bit and the cheapest bit so living where i am im not going as often as i like and did not go last season at all due to personal private reasons but im hoping to go this year.

good man wild <ok>