Topic locked

World Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!!!

Postby Wildey

Saturday 21st -Tuesday 24th of August

On Saturday the Qualifying For the New World open begins at the EIS in Sheffield. where Professionals and winners of Club Qualifying Rub shoulders.

on Tuesday there will be 21 Last 64 Matches played that will feature top 16 players the remaining 11 last 64 matches carried forward to the venue in September.

All Matches are Best of 5 Frames.

Matches Carried Forward to the Venue

Shaun Murphy v Dave Harold
Paul Davison v Jimmy White
Ding Junhui v Adrian Gunnell
Ali Carter v Thepchaia un-Nooh
Peter Ebdon v Steve Davis
Neil Robertson v Greame Dott
Stephen Hendry v Bjorn Hanever
Stephen Maguire v Stuart Pettman
Mark King v Ronnie O'Sullivan
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins
Mark Williams v Igor Figueiredo

Draw Here

Format Here

Re: World Open Qualifying Discussion !!!!!!

Postby Casey

So the event for some of the top 16 starts on Tuesday? Interesting, any idea on which of the top 16 are not through to the televised stages?

My guess would be –

Day
Wenbo
Cope
Carter

Postby Wildey

Noel wrote:August 21 2010 MATCH 7 Justin Astley vs... "Africa"???

=o|

Noel

Well he is either playing the whole of africa snooker players taking it in turn or the qualifiers for that taking place this week...How strong is Africa at snooker lol

The Return of Peter Francisco :redneck:

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

=o|

Noel

Well he is either playing the whole of africa snooker players taking it in turn or the qualifiers for that taking place this week...How strong is Africa at snooker lol

No i remember reading on GSC that there was an African Snooker championship held 2 or 3 months ago and the winner of that got a Wildcard into the World Open. Whether they will take up their place or not remains to be seen....

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:So Burnett vs Gunnell will be played in Shanghai ?

no this is a WORLD OPEN thread played in sunny Glasgow.

burnett or gunnell if they win their match this weekend at the EIS the winner will be going to glasgow to play Ding in mid september.

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:

burnett or gunnell if they win their match this weekend at the EIS the winner will be going to glasgow to play Ding in mid september.

Yeh I meant Glasgow, sorry :grrr: <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Yeh I meant Glasgow, sorry :grrr: <ok>

They're easily confused.

Postby Casey

The more I think about it the more I realize how much of a gamble this is from Hearn. The format is exciting but it levels the playing field and no disrespect to any player the later stages could be a bit low key.

If we have a semi final line up with the likes of Gunnell, Dunne, Green etc I think it will have backfired on Barry. Now I don’t mean any disrespect but I think this is certainly the truth.

Anyway not long to find out for sure.

Postby Wildey

This is a nice story http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... _Of_Light_)-2515.htm?tid=167

World Open Is Craig’s MacGilliv-Ray Of Light

Snooker’s new World Open, which provides amateurs with the chance to take on the top professionals, has given Edinburgh’s Craig MacGillivray a new focus in his life.
MacGillivray, 38, won the qualifying tournament staged at the Q Club in Glasgow, beating Michael Leslie 3-2 in the final, and now heads to Sheffield for the professional qualifiers this weekend. Just three more wins will shoot him into the spotlight and give him his chance alongside the likes of Stephen Hendry and Ronnie O’Sullivan at the SECC in Glasgow next month, where the players will be battling for a £100,000 top prize.

For MacGillivray, his snooker success has been a ray of light after a miserable few months. In February he was made redundant from his job as a design technician for a Scottish water company. Then in April he broke his ankle while playing in a pool tournament, and had an operation which has left him with a permanent metal plate in his body.

“Winning the qualifying event has given me something to look forward to and a new lease of life,” he said. “I’ve been preparing for playing in the professional stages and I can’t sleep at night, thinking about it.

“I was unemployed for a while but now I’ve started studying to become a taxi driver, I’m cycling around Edinburgh getting to know the streets, and that’s helping me keep fit as well. It’s a new direction and after a bad few months, things have started to click for me.”

MacGillivray has played on the professional snooker circuit before and can boast wins over tournament winners such as Stephen Lee and Mark Selby. But he never climbed higher than No 85 in the world so was forced to switch careers.

“I remember when I first got a ‘real job’, I was getting up at 7am to be at work for 8am. I was thinking that as a snooker player I didn’t start practising until 10am, and that was a lot more fun!

“So hopefully this new World Open is a second bite at the cherry and might lead to me turning professional again. In the club tournament in Glasgow I only practised for four days before, and in winning it I made a break of 129 plus a few more over 50.

“Since Barry Hearn became involved with snooker he has given it a shot in the arm, and this event has been a shot in the arm for me as well.”

just 1 question HOW the bloody hell did he broke his ankle playing pool ? <laugh>

Postby vinot

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

=o|

Noel

No i remember reading on GSC that there was an African Snooker championship held 2 or 3 months ago and the winner of that got a Wildcard into the World Open. Whether they will take up their place or not remains to be seen....

Yeah, here's the man if gs is rightly informed: African champion On a different topic: It's been a while since a South african player was on the tour now, hasn't it? Peter Francisco and the likes are missed...

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:The more I think about it the more I realize how much of a gamble this is from Hearn. The format is exciting but it levels the playing field and no disrespect to any player the later stages could be a bit low key.

If we have a semi final line up with the likes of Gunnell, Dunne, Green etc I think it will have backfired on Barry. Now I don’t mean any disrespect but I think this is certainly the truth.

Anyway not long to find out for sure.

Has this only just occured to you? <laugh>

The problem with the inclusion of amateurs, and the shorter formats making it easier for upsets to happen do mean it's distinctly possible for being quite low-key semi-finals. I'd have thought that was obvious. At least Hearn seems to have picked some decent looking qualifying matches to be shown on the television, and I'm hoping the cream will rise to the crop. Playing in a venue would still be intimidating for somebody who hasn't done it before. So, we can but hope the final stages will provide as much entertainment as possible. If that's possible over a best of five match.

In his defence, I don't believe that this risk is all Hearn's. Didn't the BBC say that they didn't want the Grand Prix televised, and thought it took up too much of their schedule. The way I understand it, is this was a compromise. The format in itself may not be to everybody's taste, but at least Hearn kept the BBC curtain-raiser on TV.

Postby Wildey

in 2011/2012 theres no contract to show 4 tournaments on BBC and there wont be one unless the World Open is a great success.

thats why Barry Hearn revamped the Grand Prix this season as a final roll of a dice to keep the BBC Snooker portfolio at 4 Tournaments.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Wild, do we know yet which of the top 16 players will not be playing their first round match in Scotland?

they will decide whitch 3 matches they going to add to the 8 already decided for Glasgow on monday night after the second qualifying round completed so we know who is the qualifiers

i think if Luca Brecel qualifies i think he will be in Glasgow and his opponent there probably will be Mathew selt thats the reason they held back with 3 matches to see the potential of qualifiers that will get there.

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... p_Complete)-2520.htm?tid=167

World Open Qualifiers Line-Up Complete

The qualifying rounds of the World Open take place at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield from Saturday to Tuesday (August 21 to 24).

The unique format gives the chance for 32 amateurs to enter the event, alongside the 96 professionals. The line-up of amateurs is now complete and is listed below.

Please note that eight matches have already been held over to the final stages at the SECC in Glasgow from September 18 to 26 (click here for details of those matches), and ANOTHER THREE MATCHES will be selected to be held over AFTER THE END OF PLAY AT THE QUALIFIERS ON MONDAY, AUGUST 23.

Rileys Club qualifiers:

Leicester: Ian Glover
Glasgow: Gary Thomson
Plymouth: Matt Williams
Stevenage: Sam Harvey
Cardiff: Allan Morgan
Middlesborough: Richard Beckman
Guildford: James Loft
Preston: John Whitty
Norwich: Jamie Edwards
Dunfermline: Marc Davis

Independent club qualifiers:

Gloucester: Sam Baird
Chester: Chris Nobury
Bristol: Mike Finn
Brighton: Anish Gokool
Glasgow: Craig MacGillivray
Carlow: Jason Devaney
Leeds: James McGouran
Belfast: Julian Logue
Romford: Ryan Causton
Landywood: Mitchell Mann

Ladies:

Wendy Jans
Anita Rizzuti

Seniors:

Tony Knowles
Darren Morgan

Juniors:

Luca Brecel
Joel Walker

Internationals:

Thailand: Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Bahrain: Habib Subah
Germany: Lasse Munstermann
Belgium: Mario Geudens

Top two amateurs on PTC Order of Merit:

Michael Wasley
Daniel Wells

Postby Witz78

Knowles and Morgan as the 2 seniors?

I was sure they initially said 2 former world champions would be the seniors for this event :chin:

Good to see Morgan get a Wildcard though, he could seriously do some damage here i feel.

Postby Roland

I think Morgan could have done some damage on the main tour over the last few years judging by his status in the seniors. He must be one of the favourites for the World Seniors in Bradford later this year assuming he's entered.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:I think Morgan could have done some damage on the main tour over the last few years judging by his status in the seniors. He must be one of the favourites for the World Seniors in Bradford later this year assuming he's entered.

Hes not in it, infact he wasnt even invited to the qualifying tournament even though the likes of Bond (who won), Swail and LINES were <doh>

Postby Roland

A quick search gives this:

The World Seniors Qualifying event will be held in Cue Gardens, Bradford on May 28-30. The players set to feature include Tony Knowles, Tony Drago, Mike Hallett, David Taylor, Dave Harold, Darren Morgan, Nigel Bond and Joe Swail. The
format will be the same as the main event.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/Sn ... 6240084.jp

So he must've been KO'd in the qualifiers if he's not in the main event.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:A quick search gives this:

The World Seniors Qualifying event will be held in Cue Gardens, Bradford on May 28-30. The players set to feature include Tony Knowles, Tony Drago, Mike Hallett, David Taylor, Dave Harold, Darren Morgan, Nigel Bond and Joe Swail. The
format will be the same as the main event.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/Sn ... 6240084.jp

So he must've been KO'd in the qualifiers if he's not in the main event.

No he wasnt in the qualifying tourament.

Only 8 players were....

Quarter Final line up was

HAROLD V BOND
LINES V HALLET
DRAGO V KNOWLES
SWAIL V DAVID TAYLOR

Postby Wildey

Darren did not play because he had prior comitment so he wont be in the Seniors but Alex was penciled in hopefully Darren gets his spot.

Postby Wildey

Darren Morgan is by a country mile the best senior not on tour.

in this championship you got Doherty fave with Jimmy and Steve joint second fave and if Darren was playing he would be 4th fave ahead of John Parrott.