Post a reply

Why are older players thriving?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think the mental side of the game becomes more difficult as you get older as you can doubt yourself more and carry more scars. The physical side (eyesight etc) should definitely deteriorate.

However, Ronnie, Williams, Higgins seem to be proving me wrong.

What are the reasons that they have endured lean spells and are all now blossoming in their forties? All I can think is that they don't need the money like the young players. But the young players should be like wolves, chasing down the old boys. Why is this not occurring?

Re: Why are older players thriving?

Postby Cloud Strife

Ronnie, Higgins and Williams are three of the greatest players ever who would have succeeded in any era, young or old. Age is not a factor with them as it is for others because they are so good.

Postby vodkadiet

Everything is a 'weak era' these days. I blame the advent of of mobile phone games and all the other shenanigans.

What is undoubtedly the truth is that this is the "Weakest era of terrorism ever!"

'A few crayons and pencils have AWOL!

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:Everything is a 'weak era' these days. I blame the advent of of mobile phone games and all the other shenanigans.

What is undoubtedly the truth is that this is the "Weakest era of terrorism ever!"

'A few crayons and pencils have AWOL!

Agree. The standard of terrorism just isn't what it used to be in the good old days.

The era of the 9/11s and the Oklahoma City bombings are over.

Now we have lone Sudanese immigrants driving into pedestrians and cyclists whilst on their way to collect a visa.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... k-45193781

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:Because young players are rubbish

I'd go along with this.

I am tired of smartphones, computer games and social media getting the blame for the lack young players coming through.

Fact is, the vast majority of them are just not good enough, no matter how hard they work and how much practice they put in.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

I am tired of smartphones, computer games and social media getting the blame for the lack young players coming through.

Fact is, the vast majority of them are just not good enough, no matter how hard they work and how much practice they put in.

I don't think this is 100% accurate. IMO most young players are not putting in the practice hours and rely on talent too much, Luca Brecel being the best example.
You also have to take into consideration that the class of 92 are among the greatest ever and have a superior tactical game to the youngsters.

Postby Holden Chinaski

When you hear Ronnie talk about how hard he worked on his game when he was young, it's insane. None of these youngsters are working that hard I think.

Postby TheSaviour

The snooker is the only sport or even a hobby I know that has nothing in it. I could be watching and will be watching it for hours and I am going nowhere. If I am reading a magazine, book or watching a movie or a tv-series and to concentrate, I am always "travelling" really heavily. At the end of the day you just are absolutely exhausted. "Oh, I was there and there, and that was that part of the day, right...". When can´t help thinking it shouldn´t be so. But the snooker I can be watching with no end and to concentrate and absolutely nothing happens. A hypnotic sport for sure. All those articles, discussions and movies have been made with complety different brains than what I got. Some fair and usefull insights always included but some not so interesting or relevant stuff always also.. But I am big and ugly to deal with it. Just hoping it wouldn´t be so different.

Well the older players can´t be bothered about any straight lines so much. It always is good that there are those lines, and those makes it so neutral and hypnotic. Combine some lines together and you never know what kind of a design it will be. It can be even a Christmas tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6xNuUEnh2g, if it goes really well.

I may be moving in to Florida soon. They are complaining, as they all do, but nothing serious from their part. Just had enough the problems in Europe, which obviously are much bigger problems than what they have there. If the Russians or the Chinese some day decides to nuke the city, then that´s just the case. But at least meanwhile there will be a genuine equity of the people out there, and the people actually helping each others if the really big problems do arrive. It can´t be California to me, as you would rather think. That´s because they have a bit of a KLAHN-thing going on.. rofl rofl rofl rofl I was actually really close to move to Florida already ages ago but not quite still. I am writing this because the more mature you get, the better you tend to play. If that´s ask the question at all. And what ever that playing better even means. Obviously still difficult to judge how the youngsters will be playing. Some of those are playing the player, not the table. Which I always see usefull.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

You can be as sick of it as you like, but it's the truth. Why are they not as good? The internet / smartphones / social media is ruining focus. It's happening in other sports too.

I speak from personal experience. I quit my phone for about two weeks a couple of months ago. Within two days I'd read a book in one sitting, the first time I'd done this since 2011. I can pinpoint the time when my focus got ruined - it was the advent of the iPhone 4, when they started to get really good. It was a blissful two weeks, with long deep meditations. Pure focus.

I'm addicted to my phone again now, it's time to address it again :/

Postby The_Abbott

Old people - hard working, professional, resilient, have pride
Younger people - slackers, unprofessional, weak, careless

:hatoff:

Postby Dan-cat

The_Abbott wrote:Old people - hard working, professional, resilient, have pride
Younger people - slackers, unprofessional, weak, careless

:hatoff:

Er.... no.

Just spent the weekend at a festival with an 18 year old friend who is grade 8 violin and piano, and has a place at Oxford after getting 4 As at A Level. And no, his parents aren't rich, they are artists and scrape by.

Worst thing is - he's a really lovely guy too.

Postby The_Abbott

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

You can be as sick of it as you like, but it's the truth. Why are they not as good? The internet / smartphones / social media is ruining focus. It's happening in other sports too.

I speak from personal experience. I quit my phone for about two weeks a couple of months ago. Within two days I'd read a book in one sitting, the first time I'd done this since 2011. I can pinpoint the time when my focus got ruined - it was the advent of the iPhone 4, when they started to get really good. It was a blissful two weeks, with long deep meditations. Pure focus.

yeah focus is a big thing. Some people (mostly young) are checking their phone every 5 minutes. Or as soon as they come out the shower, out of bed, leave a class, in a shop its the first thing on their minds.

If all the phone networks went down for a week I'd be laughing my pants off. Although nobody would still notice me with no pants because they will still be staring at a blank screen

Postby Badsnookerplayer

The_Abbott wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

yeah focus is a big thing. Some people (mostly young) are checking their phone every 5 minutes. Or as soon as they come out the shower, out of bed, leave a class, in a shop its the first thing on their minds.

If all the phone networks went down for a week I'd be laughing my pants off. Although nobody would still notice me with no pants because they will still be staring at a blank screen

rofl

Postby Iranu

Since the dawn of civilisation, the ageing generation has accused the younger generation of being less hard-working, less passionate, less civilised etc than themselves.

It's never true.

What is true is that social media and online adulation can make a player feel like they've "made it" long before they actually have. No wonder they start resting on their laurels.

Postby Dan-cat

Iranu wrote:Since the dawn of civilisation, the ageing generation has accused the younger generation of being less hard-working, less passionate, less civilised etc than themselves.

It's never true.

What is true is that social media and online adulation can make a player feel like they've "made it" long before they actually have. No wonder they start resting on their laurels.

In that case it must be my fault Dreamboat hasn't done much yet...

Postby Sickpotter

Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

IMO because of smartphones and social media we have a generation that have an attention span lower than goldfish.

This is simply the brains reaction to the digital world. Here's a link to a study that was done, interesting read.

http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

The level of continued concentration required to play this game at the professional level is simply not available to them....there in spells but they can't sustain it. :shrug:

I may be a bit of a sick individual but I find it very entertaining to ride transit when school gets out while carrying a cell signal blocker. :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I'd go along with this.

IMO because of smartphones and social media we have a generation that have an attention span lower than goldfish.

This is simply the brains reaction to the digital world. Here's a link to a study that was done, interesting read.

http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/

The level of continued concentration required to play this game at the professional level is simply not available to them....there in spells but they can't sustain it. :shrug:

Sounds interesting, but I can't be bothered to read it. <ok>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I started reading a book about the Korean War recently and have a hard time concentrating which I think is down to the internet. If it wasn't for the internet though I would have never discovered the book,

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The boom Snooker had in the 80's was always going to lead to stronger generation then any before or since. People sometimes focus too much on individuals when judging young players. There were always underachieving and lazy players but before there were others that were able to break through. Now there are fewer people playing the game which means less chance of another O'Sullivan or Higgins. Plus it becomes a vicious circle where no young players makes it harder for anybody coming through.

Postby Dan-cat

Sickpotter wrote:Basic gist is goldfish have about a 9 sec attention span, kids today have less :chuckle:

I once recommended a book to a friend called 'The Lazy Man's Guide to Success'

...and he replied: 'can you precis it for me?'

Postby Cloud Strife

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I started reading a book about the Korean War recently and have a hard time concentrating which I think is down to the internet. If it wasn't for the internet though I would have never discovered the book,

I get it. I can no longer play computer games or read books with the same intensity or lengthy periods as I was able to in the past.

Now I find that whenever I settle down with a book my mind is always wondering and I have to stop mid chapter, sometimes even every couple of pages, to check my phone.

It's that constant need to be connected. It seems to override most things.

Postby Dan-cat

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:I started reading a book about the Korean War recently and have a hard time concentrating which I think is down to the internet. If it wasn't for the internet though I would have never discovered the book,

Yeah, it's bucked your concentration. BUT here's the good news, you can get it back, and it happens really quickly... just stop using your phone. Allow yourself 15 mins on it every couple of hours to catch up for due diligence. If someone really needs you, they'll call. Turn all your notifications off apart from calls.

You'll be amazed at the difference. A rested brain is a much happier one. And you'll be able to read a page of a book without having to go back over it 5 times...

Right I gotta do it again. I got really disciplined but I've slipped again. No need to beat myself up, just get back in the saddle and start again.