Post a reply

Re: What will be Ronnie's first tournament this season?

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think he will win something like the English Open but little else this season.
That's not being curmudgeonly but it is iikely there will be a dip after last season.

Sadly I think the same. Not being negative, its just the way it will likely pan out given the tremendous season he had last year.

Even Selby 'only" won 2 events compared to the 5 he won the previous season, although the 2 he won were very big ones.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:I expect Ronnie to win some big tournaments again. Maybe even the World Championship.

It would be very impressive if he won the Worlds. Not many chances left (obviously) and I think the loss to Carter will have been damaging. With his talent though, I would not count it out by any means.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I expect Ronnie to win some big tournaments again. Maybe even the World Championship.

Totally agree. If he hits form at the Worlds, it's his.

I am not so sure. Last season was his best for years, and he had a relatively easy run at the Worlds but was beaten by Carter. Will a better opportunity present itself?

Postby Ronnie79

He has easy runs the last few years losing to Bingham, Hawkins, Ding and Carter all players he hadn't lost to in years.I'm afraid to say it but I can't see him winning another World. Mind you if anyone said Williams would have won it this time last year they would have been locked up.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:Dont think he will play the Shanghai Masters because its an invitational tournament now.

My guess is the English Open in October.

Oh, I'd forgotten that they'd buggered up The Shanghai Masters.

Remind me of the format of that again.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think he will win something like the English Open but little else this season.
That's not being curmudgeonly but it is iikely there will be a dip after last season.

Andre147 wrote:Sadly I think the same. Not being negative, its just the way it will likely pan out given the tremendous season he had last year.

Even Selby 'only" won 2 events compared to the 5 he won the previous season, although the 2 he won were very big ones.

DECLINE!

Postby Deewee

SnookerFan wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:Dont think he will play the Shanghai Masters because its an invitational tournament now.

" 24-man invitation event with a total prize fund of £725,000. The 24 invited players will be the top 16 on the two-year ranking list, the next four players of Chinese origin, two players from the CBSA China Tour and two from China’s Amateur Masters series.

Round one of the new event will see players ranked 9-16 take on the eight Chinese amateurs and professionals with the winners taking on the top 8 professional players in Round two."

I see no reason why Ronnie wouldn't take part, a lot of money for four matches tops.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Ronnie79 wrote:He has easy runs the last few years losing to Bingham, Hawkins, Ding and Carter all players he hadn't lost to in years.I'm afraid to say it but I can't see him winning another World. Mind you if anyone said Williams would have won it this time last year they would have been locked up.

THIS.

He didnt lose to these players for quite some time and has a massive h2h lead. But somehow the big favourite tag got to him.

He played catch up from the get go vs these players. Maybe he needs a player of Higgins, Selby etc where he hasnt that burden of the ultimate favourite.

I expect nothing from him this season. What comes comes.

Postby SnookerFan

Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

" 24-man invitation event with a total prize fund of £725,000. The 24 invited players will be the top 16 on the two-year ranking list, the next four players of Chinese origin, two players from the CBSA China Tour and two from China’s Amateur Masters series.

Round one of the new event will see players ranked 9-16 take on the eight Chinese amateurs and professionals with the winners taking on the top 8 professional players in Round two."

I see no reason why Ronnie wouldn't take part, a lot of money for four matches tops.

Too many of these top player only tournaments these days. ITV4 seem to love them.

Oh well, at least it's not ranking.

Postby Dan-cat

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:He has easy runs the last few years losing to Bingham, Hawkins, Ding and Carter all players he hadn't lost to in years.I'm afraid to say it but I can't see him winning another World. Mind you if anyone said Williams would have won it this time last year they would have been locked up.

THIS.

He didnt lose to these players for quite some time and has a massive h2h lead. But somehow the big favourite tag got to him.

He played catch up from the get go vs these players. Maybe he needs a player of Higgins, Selby etc where he hasnt that burden of the ultimate favourite.

buck me he hasn't even picked up his cue yet and you've gone negative :dizzy:

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:

THIS.

buck me he hasn't even picked up his cue yet and you've gone negative :dizzy:

It's the...... DECLINE!

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Too many of these top player only tournaments these days. ITV4 seem to love them.

Is this on ITV4?

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I like them. It's not as if there's a dearth of 128-player tournaments.

Postby TheRocket

Probably Shanghai Masters. We know he likes those invitation events when you only have the elite players around and where a lot of money is involved.

Expect him to play the China Championship after that. He did so last year. Its a big money event. And more importantly. Its just a week after Shanghai. So no travel strains existing.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Is this on ITV4?

No Eurosport.

Sorry, it was a random side-thought.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Ronnie could beat Stephen's record this year and pass 1000 centuries.
Quite an achievement that would be

The 1000 centuries I think he'll do it for sure.

Not sure about the 36 Hendry rankers... but if not this season, then the next.

Ronnie will have all the significant records when he ends his career, like most centuries, most TC events won, most ranking events.

BUT winning 7 or 8 Worlds seems way out of reach now. I believe he'll end his career on 6.