Post a reply

Players to watch 2010/11 season

Postby Roland

Who are the new names to look out for in this coming season?

So far Brazilian Igor Figueiredo seems to have hit the ground running which is very impressive since he was playing on 10x5ft tables until recently. He's definitely one to keep a close eye on, although at 32 years of age he's joining in at a very late stage, and would not have had the chance if the wildcard criteria of 12 months ago had been repeated.

Lui Chuang reached the Crucible at the age of 17 a couple of years ago before dropping off the tour. The only other players to have achieved this feat are Stephen Hendry, Ronnie O'Sullivan and Judd Trump. So he's one I've been keeping an eye on and I expect him to flourish over the next couple of years.

Anda Zhang impressed many at the World Championship qualifiers earlier this year, and he gave Hendry the fright of his life at the Crucible, making him consider retirement before he pulled himself together and fell over the line. Zhang has the nickname "Mighty Mouse" because of his diminutive stature and he's living up to the Mighty part so far in the qualifiers.

And the one who so far is impressing me the most if you can be impressed without actually seeing someone play and basing your thoughts on scores, is Michael White. He was one of the names to look out for a couple of years ago, and I remember a youtube clip of him confidently knocking in a total clearance and he looked like he'd been playing for years. As I write this he is in play against Dominic Dale in the Shanghai Qualifiers with the winner to play Peter Ebdon who has already got his excuses in for losing!

So those are my 4 outside tips for the coming season. Looking higher up the rankings I think it's about time Judd Trump and Jamie Cope started to show what they were capable of on a more consistent basis, and I expect to finally see some big matches between Neil Robertson and Mark Selby who along with O'Sullivan and Higgins are the best players in the world at this moment in time.

Re: Players to watch 2010/11 season

Postby Roland

Yes, I laughed when I first read his name - not because it's unpronounceable as most seem to think, but because it's funny when you say it. But I don't think too many of his opponents will be laughing!

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Yes, I laughed when I first read his name - not because it's unpronounceable as most seem to think, but because it's funny when you say it. But I don't think too many of his opponents will be laughing!

indeed. He's only 16 (will turn 17 in December) ... if he can handle expectations he will be very dangerous.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:
Anda Zhang impressed many at the World Championship qualifiers earlier this year, and he gave Hendry the fright of his life at the Crucible, making him consider retirement before he pulled himself together and fell over the line. Zhang has the nickname "Mighty Mouse" because of his diminutive stature and he's living up to the Mighty part so far in the qualifiers.

Zhanger <ok>

His manager calls him Zhanger, his parents call him Zhanger, his lady calls him Zhanger ........ <ok>

Zhanger it is then. <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Zhanger <ok>

His manager calls him Zhanger, his parents call him Zhanger, his lady calls him Zhanger ........ <ok>

Zhanger it is then. <ok>

Not Anda then? :redneck:

Postby jafinkesaurus

StalinESQ wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Zhanger <ok>

Zhanger it is then. <ok>

i call him ****** for beating waldo :bang2:

Postby Madz

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Zhanger <ok>

Zhanger it is then. <ok>

Not Anda then? :redneck:

Anda is actually a quite popular women's name here. Always makes me smile when I see the player's name :)

Postby Smart

Madz wrote:
Anda is actually a quite popular women's name here. Always makes me smile when I see the player's name :)

I smile and giggle when I say Zhanger (either silently in my head or out loud at passers by). I get some odd looks but it all feels worth it at the end of the day. :wave:

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
Madz wrote:

I smile and giggle when I say Zhanger (either silently in my head or out loud at passers by). I get some odd looks but it all feels worth it at the end of the day. :wave:

<doh> <laugh> <laugh> :wave:

Postby Steve K

Im thinking we will be seeing alot more of Mark Davis (consistant results at the moment, and being in the top 32 has boosted his confidence), Martin Gould (good show at the shanghai masters and still running strong from the WC) and Barry Pinches (PTC winner and seems very consistant in short frame matches)

Postby Smart

Steve K wrote:Im thinking we will be seeing alot more of Mark C Davis (consistant results at the moment, and being in the top 32 has boosted his confidence), Martin Gould (good show at the shanghai masters and still running strong from the WC) and Barry Pinches (PTC winner and seems very consistant in short frame matches)

Wouldn't mind seeing either MC Davis or Gouldy have a good season - I would say especially Gouldy who is a top fella it seems (check his interview out on here). <ok>

Postby Wildey

Steve K wrote:Im thinking we will be seeing alot more of Mark Davis (consistant results at the moment, and being in the top 32 has boosted his confidence), Martin Gould (good show at the shanghai masters and still running strong from the WC) and Barry Pinches (PTC winner and seems very consistant in short frame matches)

2 of your players to watch has been playing for 20 years :redneck:

Pinches is one of only 5 players that has had a unbroken stint on the main tour since the 1980s he turned pro in 1989 the others being Steve Davis,Jimmy White,Stephen Hendry and Nigel Bond and Mark Davis turned pro in 1991.

Postby Steve K

Yeah Martin Gould was the only player I could find on Facebook and he even responded to me a couple days after he lost his World Championship match, seems like a top bloke. Also another reason I like Mark Davis is because he is my most local pro (Hastings is only a few miles away ^_^)