Post a reply

IBSF World U18 and U21

Postby kolompar

No tour card for this as far as I know, but they got a similar number of entries as last year, notably absent are the Welsh. No really well known Chinese players, I think Chang Bingyu is the only one who was a wild card at a ranker but they will probably still win.
They were streaming some matches but it wouldn't work for me.
Results on http://www.ibsf.info

Re: IBSF World U18 and U21

Postby Badsnookerplayer

kolompar wrote:No tour card for this as far as I know, but they got a similar number of entries as last year, notably absent are the Welsh. No really well known Chinese players, I think Chang Bingyu is the only one who was a wild card at a ranker but they will probably still win.
They were streaming some matches but it wouldn't work for me.
Results on http://www.ibsf.info

<ok>

Postby kolompar

U18 winner He Guoqiang isn't messing around, makes a 147 :hatoff:
And I thought it was a weaker batch of Chinese players.

Postby Drew1404

Interesting to see a Japanese player doing pretty well, Keishin Kamahashi. Only 17 and there seems to be a few vids of him online, looks quite promising, plays some real nice shots, they obviously have high hopes for him. Would be nice to see a Japanese player come through and start a craze similar to China.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Drew1404 wrote:Interesting to see a Japanese player doing pretty well, Keishin Kamahashi. Only 17 and there seems to be a few vids of him online, looks quite promising, plays some real nice shots, they obviously have high hopes for him. Would be nice to see a Japanese player come through and start a craze similar to China.

That would be fantastic for the sport

Postby Drew1404

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Drew1404 wrote:Interesting to see a Japanese player doing pretty well, Keishin Kamahashi. Only 17 and there seems to be a few vids of him online, looks quite promising, plays some real nice shots, they obviously have high hopes for him. Would be nice to see a Japanese player come through and start a craze similar to China.

That would be fantastic for the sport

Yeah, I think the Japanese having a different kind of temperament to the Chinese, it would be interesting to see how they approach the game. From the short video I watched he looked a very natural player, some beautiful cannons and plants. It would be great if both him and Brian Ochoiski managed to get through to the main tour in the future, flying the flags for France and China. Some more diversity would be great, it all seems to be China and the UK right now. There's a few prodigies that we'll be waiting for, if you include the kid from Northern Ireland and Wang Wuka from China.. But then again they said Brecel was a prodigy and he's yet to really deliver up to that promise

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Luca had a great start to last season but a horrific second half. It is good to see the Thai players coming through but - yeah - any other nations would be superb. Japan would be a huge bonus.

Postby kolompar

Kamihashi has been around for a few years, beat Jackson Page once. The Pakistanis are also doing well but as this event shows, there's always a few Chinese players who are better so qualifying from the World/Asian events won't be easy.
I'm watching the Egyptians, both scoring well and they have an easier route to get on tour with the African Championships, would be nice to see them win that.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

kolompar wrote:Kamihashi has been around for a few years, beat Jackson Page once. The Pakistanis are also doing well but as this event shows, there's always a few Chinese players who are better so qualifying from the World/Asian events won't be easy.
I'm watching the Egyptians, both scoring well and they have an easier route to get on tour with the African Championships, would be nice to see them win that.

Kolompar - your knowledge is very impressive.

Postby Drew1404

Keishin and He Guoqiang have sailed through to the last 16 of the men's u21, 4-0 each way and both scoring 3 50+ breaks. Keishin has hardly dropped a frame in this tournament so far, very impressive. I think these two are definitely ones for the future. Wu yize is another one to watch, only 14 and eased through 4-0 with an 81 and a 78, wow
Last edited by Drew1404 on 10 Jul 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Drew1404

Add zhao jianbo to that list, another 14 year old who is comfortably through to the last 8, incredible, and he'll now play a 15 year old from India who's also doing really well. I'm looking forward to Keishin vs pongsakorn, a Thai player who looked really strong in his last 32 match, hitting some high breaks. Hu Guoqiang and keishin could end up in the final, that would be a tasty one. Hu Guoqiang has a tough match though against Shrikrishna from India, who's only dropped one frame so far in the whole tournament, 16-1, that's impressive. Edit - pongsakorn has won that match 4-1, and Hu Guoqiang is out 4-2 to Shrikrishna, ouch there goes my predictions!

Postby kolompar

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Kolompar - your knowledge is very impressive.

Thanks, I don't hear that too often <laugh>
Neither of the Egyptians made the knockouts and after some surprise results only 3 Chinese in the quarters.

Postby Deewee

Dan-cat wrote:I wonder why that video is set to private/unlisted?

Nikolai uploads all the chinese streams of World Snooker tournaments unlisted to avoid copyright strikes, I guess it was a force of habit

Postby kolompar

And 14-year-old Wu Yize does it, beats Pongsakorn 6-4 from 4-1 down. So the Under-21 champion is 3 years younger than the Under-18 winner.