Post a reply

Who will get the Wild Card?

Postby mick745

It seems one player will get awarded a wild card for season 2018/19 as there will only be 127 professional players at the conclusion of Q School.

Who will it be?

Re: Who will get the Wild Card?

Postby Deewee

It's 126 players since Lyu Haotian made the top 64 in his first year, dropping Sam Craigie off the tour in the process. They had 131 players this season so they don't necessarily need exactly 128, they could just use the Q School order of merit to fill up events.

Postby mick745

Deewee wrote:It's 126 players since Lyu Haotian made the top 64 in his first year, dropping Sam Craigie off the tour in the process. They had 131 players this season so they don't necessarily need exactly 128, they could just use the Q School order of merit to fill up events.

That might be the case but the Q school top ups will be playing on this challenge tour next season so logistically will be more tricky. With flat 128 draws having fewer than 128 pros starting the season makes no sense to me whatsoever, especially because there is bound to be a little 'natural wasteage' along the way.

Postby Deewee

Yes, you're right, forgot about the Challenge tour. I guess they could give a player from Africa or Australia a wildcard since there isn't one yet for next season and there aren't any continental championships besides European that award a tour card currently.

Postby kolompar

That would be typical World Snooker, they give out a load of wild cards when there's already enough players and nothing when there's still two places left.

Postby Wildey

mick745 wrote:It seems one player will get awarded a wild card for season 2018/19 as there will only be 127 professional players at the conclusion of Q School.

Who will it be?

Nobody will get it

there will be top up spaces from Q School the draw will be toped up that way

Postby Alex0paul

Wildey wrote:
mick745 wrote:It seems one player will get awarded a wild card for season 2018/19 as there will only be 127 professional players at the conclusion of Q School.

Who will it be?

Nobody will get it

there will be top up spaces from Q School the draw will be toped up that way

Wrong again buddy

Postby SteveJJ

Although considering the African champ got a wild card, I may be a little peeved if I was the Oceania champion not being offered one when a player who didn't win a tournament that qualified gets one so that he doesn't give up the game.

Not debating for one second that the Oceania champion is anywhere near as good as Stefanow is and may become but I'd still feel a bit annoyed.

Postby kolompar

Asian champions didn't get a place either. Oceania was held at the same time as the WSF so was never going to get a wild card. I think WS made the most sensible decision, for once.

Postby Deewee

Yeah, there aren't WSF affiliated continental championships besides Africa yet, so it was the only possible choice.

Postby The_Abbott

Deewee wrote:129 players (two of them suspended) it is then with Wattana still on tour. I guess these invitational tour cards really are for life. https://www.wpbsa.com/tour-players-2018-19/

I guess they know that several players won't enter and Wattana normally plays so they may as well invite him. At least he and Jimmy and Ken are using them whereas Steve Davis only used his once in the World Championships