Post a reply

World Championship Highlights & Lowlights

Postby Iranu

What were your highlights and lowlights of this year's championship?

My highlights:
- Mark Williams winning is obviously the highest. I still can't believe he did it.
- SteveJJ's Dennis Taylor joke.
- Ding's first session performance against McGill.
- The reveal of a new long format tournament.
- Fron Row Brian getting snake hissed off.
- Kyren getting to the one table setup.

Lowlights:
- Ronnie losing in the second round.
- Leo Scullion's presence.
- Younger players, specifically Judd and Dreamboat, failing again to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I'm still giddy so I'm sure there are lots I've forgotten.

Re: World Championship Highlights & Lowlights

Postby TheRocket

Highlights:
-MJW winning the title
-Great final
-Kyren Wilson reaching the one table stage
- Carter beating ROS for the first time (I obviously hated it but in terms of Snooker stats/history that was a huge thing)
- Dings first session against McGill

lowlights:
-Lisowskis performance in the 2nd round.
-Ronnies poor performance throughout the whole WC.
-That shoulder barge thing with ROS and Carter
-Neil Robertsons poor performance in the 1st round.
-Dings rubbish performance against Hawkins after that great match against McGill.
-Leo Scullion being a ref for the WC. And worse, refereeing a semifinal.

Postby Andre147

Highlights:
- MJW finally winning another world title, as Iranu said, so much talk of how good he was, now it's how good he is; :-D :hatoff:
- Great high quality and tense final;
- Higgins match with Trump, one of the finest Quarter-Final matches at The Crucible;
- Kyren reaching the one-table setup
- Ding first session v McGill

lowlights:
-First one has to be ROS losing, he was never at the races from ball 1 against Maguire and got found out against Carter, of all players...
- The shoulder barge was unnecessary, childish behaviour from both players;
- Robbo 1st round v Milkins, one of poorest matches from Robbo in a long format;
- Lisowski losing 13-1 to Higgins
- Ding losing the way he did
- AND, of course, SCULLION being a ref for the World Champs, and rreffing a world semi-final no less! The old senile bucker hasn't got a clue what referring at top level really is, and I dont care a damn thing if he got cancer or not, if you're not good enough, you should stick to reffing amateur tournaments, not high profile ones. World Snooker fault for appointing him to be a ref here.

Postby Andre147

All in all, a great tournament, we got two close Semi-Finals and one great Final.

It reminded me of 2011, when the Semis and Final also ended in a similar way to this.

I forgot to mention the lowlights also include the damn huge pockets! I know it's been like this for years, but for me this year was as bad as 2009.

Postby SteveJJ

Iranu wrote:What were your highlights and lowlights of this year's championship?

My highlights:
- Mark Williams winning is obviously the highest. I still can't believe he did it.
- SteveJJ's Dennis Taylor joke.
- Ding's first session performance against McGill.
- The reveal of a new long format tournament.
- Fron Row Brian getting snake hissed off.
- Kyren getting to the one table setup.

Lowlights:
- Ronnie losing in the second round.
- Leo Scullion's presence.
- Younger players, specifically Judd and Dreamboat, failing again to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

I'm still giddy so I'm sure there are lots I've forgotten.

Wow, thanks!

Postby Satch4

Highlights
- Trump vs Higgins
- MJW's long potting
- Higgins's shots to nothing
- Higgins's clearances
- Selby in the studio (I've rarely heard him talk)
- Jack Lisowski vs Stuart Bingham
- Higgins coming back to make it a close final
- MJW's frame and match winning break after blundering the pink the frame before

Lowlights
- Maguire pouting and rolling over
- Milkins rolling over
- Ding and Trump not making a bigger impact
- Jack Lisowski's caning at the hands of Higgins
- Barry's somewhat predictable perfomance
- family shots during the final
- shots going in that had no business going in

Postby Iranu

On reflection I want to add to my highlights:

That was a really great final. Even at 15-10 I knew it would end up close, and at 15-15 I thought Higgins would go on to win as he had all the momentum. But one slip up and Williams managed to find another gear.

A great end to a good tournament.

1st round: great
2nd round: poor
Quarter finals: underwhelming
Semi finals: good
Final: great

Postby Alex0paul

Highlights

Being back at the Crucible for the first time since 2012
Trump v Higgins
Final sessions of Williams’ semi and final
Murphy and O’Sullivan going out early

Lowlights

All four quarters going against the player I wanted
Selby going out early
No young players coming through
It’s finished

Postby eraserhead

Highlight
Ding's first session against McGill

Lowlight
Ding looking shaky with a massive advantage against McGill then losing to Hawkins. :td:
Judd not being able to win his match against Higgins
No Judd V Ding final.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:Highlight

Lowlight
Ding looking shaky with a massive advantage against McGill then losing to Hawkins. :td:
No Judd V Ding final.

The final we got was brilliant.

Postby Andre147

It was a brilliant final, the best since I started watching in 2005.

In a way, even though I was massively wanting MJW to win, I wouldnt mind a decider, just to see my first Crucible decider live, the atmosphere woukd have been unbeliavable...

At least we got 34 frames, and MJW doing so well when many thought he would crumble, like me. Im glad he didnt, showed tremendous bottle and character. To win 3 World Finals by this scoreline shows you need to have this.

Postby mick745

On reflection I feel dissatisfied with the WC. Mark Selby losing in the first round followed by Ronnie in the second round flattened the atmosphere somewhat. None of the players (maybe Williams excepted) really played at their best. Very few close exciting matches. No young players making a real breakthrough. Two 40-somethings in the final both of whom had won the trophy before.

We are snooker purists here but I do not believe that having two blokes in their 40s knocking balls around is going to attract legions of new fans. When Trump reached the final in 2011 he played exciting snooker, there was a new kid on the block and it was a breath of fresh air. This year we had again the same tired faces. I can imagine some tuning in for the first time in a few years would have said 'blimey are those two still playing'.

I don't believe this year's tournament has enhanced the sport in any way.

Postby The_Abbott

mick745 wrote:On reflection I feel dissatisfied with the WC. Mark Selby losing in the first round followed by Ronnie in the second round flattened the atmosphere somewhat. None of the players (maybe Williams excepted) really played at their best. Very few close exciting matches. No young players making a real breakthrough. Two 40-somethings in the final both of whom had won the trophy before.

We are snooker purists here but I do not believe that having two blokes in their 40s knocking balls around is going to attract legions of new fans. When Trump reached the final in 2011 he played exciting snooker, there was a new kid on the block and it was a breath of fresh air. This year we had again the same tired faces. I can imagine some tuning in for the first time in a few years would have said 'blimey are those two still playing'.

I don't believe this year's tournament has enhanced the sport in any way.

Well you can only play who is in front of you. I was glad Selby lost early because he can be boring. The loss of Murphy and Bingham ignited my interest and I am glad an old boy won the title.

Its up to the next generation to win the longer matches but most of them have the attention span of a fish. They just want a best of 7 and home to watch Netflix on the TV.

You want 425,000 then you need to work for it.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Well you can only play who is in front of you. I was glad Selby lost early because he can be boring. The loss of Murphy and Bingham ignited my interest and I am glad an old boy won the title.

Its up to the next generation to win the longer matches but most of them have the attention span of a fish. They just want a best of 7 and home to watch Netflix on the TV.

You want 425,000 then you need to work for it.

Kind of agree with you. And the final, and Williams victory, had a great story. So I wasn't complaining.

Saying that, the lack of young players coming through is a problem. If only we hadn't cursed Yan Bingtao.

Postby eraserhead

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Highlight

Lowlight
No Judd V Ding final.

The final we got was brilliant.

True, I was just hoping for two players who had never won it before in the final.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The_Abbott wrote:

Younger players aren't doing much in best of sevens either. If anything they are doing better in the World Championship, look at the number of 17-21 year olds who have qualified in the last decade, many of which weren't doing anything else.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Lowlight.

On Monday night, I was cooking some rice and accidentally spilled boiling hot water on my foot. Still hurts.

Microwave rice

Microwave foot.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:Lowlight.

On Monday night, I was cooking some rice and accidentally spilled boiling hot water on my foot. Still hurts.

And better lighting would have helped you avoid that?