Post a reply

Re: Selby wants to shorten the semi finals

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:.

Totally disagree

Yeah well, buck you.

What you said in your first post was totally unacceptable but I’m inclined to agree with your second point

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:.

Totally disagree

Yeah well, buck you.

What you said in your first post was totally unacceptable but I’m inclined to agree with your second point

rofl

Postby Wildey

Being World Champion has always been and should always be Battle of the fittest not who can make breaks they all can when they reach a World Final its about doing it against thee odds.

Stephen Hendry has always said Tiredness is there but it should never be an issue when the end goal is being World Champion if it is then your not ready to be World Champion.

Postby mantorok

It's the only tournament where the semis are pretty much the same as the final. I say slash the semis to 3 sessions and keep the final. It just makes more sense in terms of progression.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:Being World Champion has always been and should always be Battle of the fittest not who can make breaks they all can when they reach a World Final its about doing it against thee odds.

Stephen Hendry has always said Tiredness is there but it should never be an issue when the end goal is being World Champion if it is then your not ready to be World Champion.

Henry is full of it. He didn't play in an era where there were 30 tournaments on the calender. What was it? 7?

Postby Cloud Strife

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:Being World Champion has always been and should always be Battle of the fittest not who can make breaks they all can when they reach a World Final its about doing it against thee odds.

Henry is full of it. He didn't play in an era where there were 30 tournaments on the calender. What was it? 7?

I remember the BBC were making tiredness excuses for Hendry when he was getting battered by Doherty in 97.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I remember the BBC were making tiredness excuses for Hendry when he was getting battered by Doherty in 97.

That was the year the semi finals went from BO31 to BO33 :chin: coincidence?

Maybe we've stumbled on the real reason Hendry only won one more WC after that.

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:

When Hendry was playing there was much more than that but not ranking event in the mid 2000s we ended up with 7 tournaments

Postby Wildey

mantorok wrote:The problem is the first day of the final is always a washout particularly from the guy who got through the night before.

He has a point.

No bucking point at all just get on with it without looking for bucking excuses in case you lose

Postby vodkadiet

I would keep the 2 tables for the semis and make them best of 25.

It would give Hawkins a great chance to make the final again.

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:I would keep the 2 tables for the semis and make them best of 25.

Barry would make the final every year :-D

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:I would keep the 2 tables for the semis and make them best of 25.

Which in turn would also shorten the final....

Postby GJ

vodkadiet wrote:
GJ wrote:

Which in turn would also shorten the final....

<laugh>

Postby Lucky

Inevitable that the format will be shortened. Within 10 years I'd imagine the semis and final will be played over 3 sessions each.

Postby PLtheRef

I sometimes wonder if Snooker is unique in sport that following a fantastic round of Semi-Final matches, the first instinct is to look at potentially restricting these matches to make them less likely to occur.

If we have a World Cup Semi-Final that goes 3-3 and is won on penalties, is the first reaction to reduce the game to sixty minutes to avoid any fatigue?

Since 2011, five of the previous seven Finals have been won by the player that played in the Semi-Final that finished on the Saturday night. Indeed it's very close between first SF winner and second SF winner in total. The last five years includes a winning Semi-Finalist who won in the final against a player who had won their Semi-Final 17-7 and had had a full day between his Semi-Final finishing and the Final starting.

I am really deign to say this but I can half understand the players, because of their vested interest why they may want a shorter format - if you could win the same amount of prize money, for winning half the number of frames, would you really say no?

In any Snooker event, the World Championship, the UK Championship, the Masters etc. you have got a Semi-Final that will finish on a Saturday night when the previous Semi-Final has finished earlier in the day. You also have the ITV events and the International Championship where a Semi-Final finishes on Friday before the second one is played on the Saturday.

You will always have a Semi-Final finishing before the other in a one table set-up, so where does it stop? A three session Semi-Final changes nothing because you've got a Semi-Final ending on Saturday night.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Every time the format of an event has been cut there has been some reason for it. Best of sevens fit a schedule better than best of nine, the UK was cut to allow every match be televised and even with flat draws more people get the chance to be on TV. The World Championship format can't be cut without shortening the tournament and there's no reason why they would do this to their highest profile event with the biggest media coverage.