Post a reply

Best frame of 2009/10

Postby Tubberlad

I've opted for this classic
Note to Ronnie O'Sullivan fans: what you are about to watch contains footage of a disturbing nature

Re: Best frame of 2009/10

Postby Monique

It's the fate of Ronnie's fans to go through disturbing things ;) ...
But other than this dig at us, would you care to explain why this is the best frame of the season?
To start with I doubt you watched them all and I can think of a few others that, IMO, were better. Some of the stuff Robertson and Higgins played in their GP semi, some of Mark Allen's in the Masters, some of the ROS vs Williams matches (Masters and WC round 2), some of the PL semi between ROS and Trump (that was champagne all along!), Davis last frame to out Higgins in the WC (that was pure tension), some of Gould second session against Robbo in Sheffield ... not to mention, in his discrete unimpressive way, some of the Dotty's performances in Sheffield through the whole tournament (well bar the final).
Last edited by Monique on 10 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Casey

For me there is no contest – the final frame: Higgins v O’Sullivan UK championship.

Higgins had lost an 8-2 lead, Ronnie was flying and Higgins was in bits. There was also that foul and a miss issue where Higgins was in total control and had the frame at his mercy.

What was Higgins’ response? In the final frame after Ronnie had been cleaning up for 6 in a row, John played an aggressive safety splitting the reds everywhere only to see one roll over the pocket, Ronnie couldn’t take advantage however and missed a pink that maybe was not the right shot.

Step in Higgins the world champion at the time and he played one the the frames of his life. Remember the black he potted when badly hampered? One of the best pressure pots I’ve seen, then there was the long distance green when a miss would have left it open for Ronnie.
One of the best frames last decade never mind the season.

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:For me there is no contest – the final frame: Higgins v O’Sullivan UK championship.

Higgins had lost an 8-2 lead, Ronnie was flying and Higgins was in bits. There was also that foul and a miss issue where Higgins was in total control and had the frame at his mercy.

What was Higgins’ response? In the final frame after Ronnie had been cleaning up for 6 in a row, John played an aggressive safety splitting the reds everywhere only to see one roll over the pocket, Ronnie couldn’t take advantage however and missed a pink that maybe was not the right shot.

Step in Higgins the world champion at the time and he played one the the frames of his life. Remember the black he potted when badly hampered? One of the best pressure pots I’ve seen, then there was the long distance green when a miss would have left it open for Ronnie.
One of the best frames last decade never mind the season.

It was indeed a great frame closing a great match.

Postby Casey

Some other great frames for tenseness wise –

Higgins v Robbo GP final frame
Ronnie v Williams Masters final frame
Ding v Higgins (the frame where Higgins fluked a red out of a snooker but missed the easiest green ever)
Selby v Hendry 6th frame world championship

These are just the ones of the top of my head I am sure there are many more.

Postby Rocket_ron

yes i would agree that there is some better frames than the masters. higgins v robbo in GP or higgins v o'sullivan in UK

Postby Alex0paul

Biased view but for me it has to be the Allen v Dott final frame in the WC quarter finals. Unbelievable levels of tension.

Postby Casey

Alex0paul WC wrote:Biased view but for me it has to be the Allen v Dott final frame in the WC quarter finals. Unbelievable levels of tension.

Yea there was a lot riding on that frame for Dott, although I felt he was always going to win it, Allen wasn’t right at all and I still don’t know how he managed to get 12-10 up. :huh2:

Postby Tubberlad

Monique: it wasn't really a dig at Ronnie fans, you know how much respect I have for the guy, really ;) I went for this frame for drama alone, and it really was the one that decided the fate of the Masters. Ronnie played some incredible shots (including a stunning double) and appeared to be on the way to the title before that missed yellow. Then THAT green. My choice for best frame of 2010... although that final produced a lot of classic frames.

Postby Roland

Tubberlad has it for me. I just watched the clip and I can't think of a better frame. Snooker doesn't get any better than that for drama. It struck me this time just how long Ronnie took over that green. It wasn't rash like his attempted back double in the Welsh a few years ago, he fully considered it, felt it was the right shot to play and went for it. It took some nerve to take it on.

But that frame had everything: a scenario, drama, needle, atmosphere, run of the ball (notably Ronnie) and great shots by both. Ronnie's safety on the yellow, Selby's shot before it, and Selby's brown was tough at the end. It is the rivalry in snooker right now that's for sure.

Postby Casey

It was a great frame for sure but I am sticking the Higgins one just ahead at the minute.

As for their rivalry, yes it was badly needed, not only do they not get on but they play out close matches which helps develop it.

They meet in all 3 majors last year with Mark coming out 2-1, you would think that will give him the physiological edge going into the new season.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Great frame to watch first thing in the morning. Nice one tubs. <ok>

If anything beats that then please post it up.

Postby randam05

The frame where Davis beat Higgins...second round of the WC? was great and emotional to see higgins win the way he did. Also very tense.

Postby Smart

randam05 wrote:The frame where Davis beat Higgins...second round of the WC? was great and emotional to see higgins win the way he did. Also very tense.

Corr: the way Davis win the way he did................superb bottle the way he closed it out. <cool>

Postby Steve K

Has to be the Grand Prix semi final last frame between Higgins-Robertson. Aint seen so much drama, tension and misses in a frame since I started watching snooker 2 years ago. Also thought the match at the UK between Higgins-O'sullivan where their was the contriversy with the misses was pretty intresting.

Postby Smart

MAK vs Walden - Grand Prix. MAK needed snookers in the final frame to comeback and win 5-4, I think. Tried to find it on youtube but alas I have come up short. I remember it clearly as a fantastic frame of snooker, sort of an escape trick to pull of the win from that position. Ricky was rightly gutted. <ok>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:MAK vs Walden - Grand Prix. MAK needed snookers in the final frame to comeback and win 5-4, I think. Tried to find it on youtube but alas I have come up short. I remember it clearly as a fantastic frame of snooker, sort of an escape trick to pull of the win from that position. Ricky was rightly gutted. <ok>

3 snookers <ok> There was also some needle because the tournament before King was complaining about having to qualify for the event in place of Rickey Walden who was the defending champion. <ok>

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:MAK vs Walden - Grand Prix. MAK needed snookers in the final frame to comeback and win 5-4, I think. Tried to find it on youtube but alas I have come up short. I remember it clearly as a fantastic frame of snooker, sort of an escape trick to pull of the win from that position. Ricky was rightly gutted. <ok>

3 snookers <ok> There was also some needle because the tournament before King was complaining about having to qualify for the event in place of Rickey Walden who was the defending champion. <ok>

Casey <cool>

Hope you don't mind tubs, but the frame you posted to kick this thread off was a heart warmer mate, genuine. <ok>

Anyway, Dave Hendon posted this Stephen Hendry break on his twitter page earlier today (Friday). Notice how the Great One knocks them in sooooo clean. Quality & I Love IT!

Enjoy & I hope its cool tubbs....

http://bit.ly/bnUl8Y

Postby Roland

He got lucky a few times though didn't he? He was still raw around that time, clearly not the finished article.

Cracking potter tho, especially under the BIG P even then! Don't forget that was to make it 12-12 & first to 13! If my memory serves me right?

What player of today reminds you of the Great One back then? Liang Wenbo maybe? :chin:

Postby Roland

Wenbo excites me, it must be said. He is going to win a lot of titles this decade. Can't say he reminds me of Hendry though.

Its about being fearless tho at that age. Ronnie is/was the same. Just head down & pot them.

You would have thought that someone would have copied The Great One's style?

Plenty have copied Jimmy's & Steve Davis' eh?

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:Wenbo excites me, it must be said. He is going to win a lot of titles this decade. Can't say he reminds me of Hendry though.

Watch Wenny LIVE - he does not excite then................perhaps if you are at home with some lagers, but he is a very frustrating player to watch, so many stalks of the table, so much deliberation............. :grrr:

Postby Roland

I've watched him live. You were with me once, remember? :redneck:

I also had a prime seat (directly behind the players) for session 2 in the Ding match at the Crucible and he was far from boring to watch. The Kamikaze Kid in action is never dull. Just because he doesn't have the natural fluency of your Ronnie or Dings, doesn't mean he isn't great to watch. It's the way he makes up his mind to go for a Kamikaze shot, and then takes a few deep breaths, gets down and commits 110% to the shot no matter how crazy. There's been no one like him before. He's a breath of fresh air.

Postby Bourne

I don't mind his eccentricities but to call him exciting to watch is pretty bold, way too measured and in his own bubble all the time, and very slow. If he was as ugly as Dave Harold I doubt many people would rate him at all.

Postby Roland

Well that's your opinion. It's like what is levelled at Selby - the fact he isn't down on the shot and playing in under 15 seconds means he's boring. I look at the shots the player takes on. Ebdon is an exciting player if you fast forward the time between shots. Liang is as attacking as it's possible to get in reality. And he has bucketloads of bottle to take on the shots he does. I would say 90% of Selby fans will also be fans of Liang.

Postby Bourne

Selby is at least ten times smarter tactically than Liang though.