Post a reply

Re: Your thoughts on Ronnie O'Sullivan: the player

Postby Wildey

yes Higgins peaked in mid to late 90s then he went walkabout and just as i thought he was well on the slide he popped back up with 2 World Titles but for me he has not reached the level consistantly he played late 90s.

but that mid section between 2000 and 2006 for John that says Ronnie O'Sullivan has been a better player .

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:bullocks. Higgins circa 2006-2009 is the best he ever played and is right up there with the best anyone has ever played, ever.

total tosh

that was nowhere even close to his 90s form on a consistant Level your having a snake hiss take.

yes his 2009 World was his best but 2 weeks and a few performances here and there does not make it his best period.

Postby Roland

Higgins circa 2006-2009 was nowhere even close to his 90's form. What planet are you on?

Fair enough, he won most of his tournaments from '95-2000 but for me the form he showed from the 2005 Grand Prix and on was the best I'd seen him.

Postby Tubberlad

By the way, I don't think we are here to debate John Higgins. Not in this section anyway. John is a fine player who I always liked, but this is intended to be a Ronnie O'Sullivan discussion.

Postby Roland

His performance in the 2005 Grand Prix and a few other tournaments between then and the 2007 Worlds he put in performances that eclipsed his 90's game. Agreed it wasn't as consistent but he got there in the end for consistency and with the experience under his belt he was without any shadow of a doubt a better player than in the 90's.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. The Higgins of the 2009 World Championship would have beaten the Higgins of the 1998 World Championship.

Postby Roland

thetubberlad wrote:By the way, I don't think we are here to debate John Higgins. Not in this section anyway. John is a fine player who I always liked, but this is intended to be a Ronnie O'Sullivan discussion.

Makes a change given the number of times a topic about another player turns into a Ronnie topic :redneck:

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:By the way, I don't think we are here to debate John Higgins. Not in this section anyway. John is a fine player who I always liked, but this is intended to be a Ronnie O'Sullivan discussion.

Make a change given the number of times a topic about another player turns into a Ronnie topic :redneck:

Thankfully that doesn't happen as much as it used to for some reason haha...

I was too young to take in the Higgins of the late nineties. I remember being blown away by him for most of the 1999 World Championship, but times were different. I was easily impressed, and didn't like girls ha.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:

Makes a change given the number of times a topic about another player turns into a Ronnie topic :redneck:

its hard to stop once you start going off topic it sorts of snowballs but if anyone wants to start a topic higgins 1995-2000 and 2005-2010 and transfer all higgins related posts :redneck:

Re: A tale of two Johns... which was better?

Postby Casey

Higgins won a ridicules amount of events in the late 90’s, he was certainly far more consistent, if maybe not better he certainly could bring it more often.

Unfortunately for him he went off the rails a bit after 01 when he lost the world final, he got it back in 2005 and only for those 4 years MIA he could have had a major record to rival Hendry.

Once again when he looked set to dominate, off the table antics have put a stop to that and I would find it unlikely he will now win a 4th World title.

Re: A tale of two Johns... which was better?

Postby Wildey

yes in the late 90s he missed far less easy balls than he has last few years.

he went to the table then and you did not expect him to miss pots that were 60/40 in his favour and he never did on important pots.

these last few years hes been prone to that...

what stood out in the 2009 WC Was his tenacity his will to win his bottle and not necessarily playing better than anyone else standard wise Higgins in 1999 WC was better than in 2009 but he came up against Williams and that was a set back for him that he struggled to overcome.

sorry the 2000 semi against Williams was the one that set him back not 1999 <ok>