Topic locked

Re: World Open Draw

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:
case_master wrote:
It could be like a concert booking, first come first served :? . I am assuming the tickets will go on sale before the last cut of point so we will only know Neil Robertson’s game fore sure.

the normal system is a bit outdated ill admit but it does give the real fans the chance to get their tickets first before the general public release of tickets around February.

Theres something exciting too about printing off the ticket / schedule of play sheet off the WS site then pondering how long to go for, what matches to watch, what potential R2 matches will be, what sessions to skip in favour of nights out etc.

Yeah, that is the best part. Especially if you're going alone and don't have to take into account other people's budget or limitations. This limits the nights out though. But if you get a hotel near The Crucible, they're always full of people who are there to see the snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:the Biggest problem with this format is nobody knows whos playing when so they cant really make plans to go there until the draw is made for later rounds.

even with the early rounds Carter playing Brecel first Round would sell better than Carter v say Andy Lee so its a job to sell tickets weeks in advance.

This is a good point. And the problem with completely random draws. This is why last year I think the kept a top-16 vs qualifier first round format, before making it random.

Personally, it's the UK Championship tickets I hope come out soon. :excited: May have to give it a month or so.

Postby Rocket_ron

I would like to go to the uk champs. telford not 2 far away, infact if i mention taking the caravan to a local campsite then it may turn out cool mini break

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:I would like to go to the uk champs. telford not 2 far away, infact if i mention taking the caravan to a local campsite then it may turn out cool mini break

<ok>

rofl rofl

yes and prehaps wild could come and visit me?

Postby Noel

Ja want come too. I bring...

=o)

Noel

Postby Roland

Skateboarding without wheels :mosh:

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC3_news(N ... tes_Hendry)-2477.htm?tid=185

New World Open Excites Hendry

Scottish snooker legend Stephen Hendry says he is fired up for the new season and the World Open in Glasgow.

The seven-times World Champion is still ranked among the world's top 16 at the age of 41, though he is not satisfied with being an also-ran at the sport's biggest tournaments. He won his opening match in all six ranking events last season, but failed to progress beyond the quarter-finals of any of them.

"That's not the kind of consistency I'm looking for, it's about winning titles," said the Auchterarder cueman. "I'm always enthusiastic when the new season comes around, so I just have to keep trying and see what happens."

The World Open runs from September 18-26 at the SECC in Glasgow and boasts a series of new features including quickfire best-of-five frame matches, a random draw and the chance for amateurs to enter at the qualifying stage.

"It's the one tournament we have in Scotland, and with the new format there's no doubt it's going to be exciting," added Hendry, who won his last ranking title in 2005.

Hendry plays his first match in the tournament at 2pm on Sunday, September 19. Many of snooker's top stars will be in action at the SECC including Ronnie O'Sullivan, Neil Robertson, Steve Davis, Mark Selby and Scots Stephen Maguire and Graeme Dott.

ive said this before but i think stephen needs to embrase all these playing opportunities they got this season and just play.

he still can do it as well if not better than Tom Ford any day but he needs to put it about to get some flow going.

in his prime he couldn't stop practicing these days the motivation for practice isnt there and it shows badly in his play basic things he does wrong is aparent so what better way get proper matches under his belt in the ptc..for whatever reason hes missed all 3 PTC So far whitch wont help him.

im pleased he is excited by this and lets hope he can turn excitement in to inspiration this season somewhere along the way.

Postby Casey

He plays his 1st PTC this Friday, yea?

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:He plays his 1st PTC this Friday, yea?

yes but its Saturday,Sunday and monday this weekend 14 to 16 of august.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm still a little confused by how all of this is going to work. :huh:

Are some of the top-16 members going to be playing before the SECC event gets underway? Does this mean some of the potentially decent games we won't be able to see, or are we waiting for all of them to be confirmed?

Postby Witz78

SnookerFan wrote:I'm still a little confused by how all of this is going to work. :huh:

Are some of the top-16 members going to be playing before the SECC event gets underway? Does this mean some of the potentially decent games we won't be able to see, or are we waiting for all of them to be confirmed?

yes thats correct, theres no such thing as a top 16 to an extent in this tournament given everyone has entered the tournament by the last 64 stage at the latest. So the best of these matches will be carried over to the venue along with all the last 32 matches onwards (as per normal)

So yes there will be some seeds 1st matches (last 64) which wont feature at the venue and should they lose the best of 5 match, then they wont even make it to Glasgow.

Postby Wildey

theres no seeding at all here just that the top 32 are entering the contest at the 3rd round similar to the FA Cup then every player goes in to a hat and drawn at random so in theory Ronnie could have got Selby last 64 and Sam Craigie could play Stephen Creigie Last 64.

Ronnie has been drawn against Mark King in the Last 64

other interesting last 64

Steve Davis v Peter Ebdon
Neil Robertson v Greame Dott
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins
Stuart Bingham v Jamie Cope

all these matches are best of 5s so those 5 matches ive mentioned could easily go either way and throw the rankings right on it head.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:theres no seeding at all here just that the top 32 are entering the contest at the 3rd round similar to the FA Cup then every player goes in to a hat and drawn at random so in theory Ronnie could have got Selby last 64 and Sam Craigie could play Stephen Creigie Last 64.

Ronnie has been drawn against Mark King in the Last 64

other interesting last 64

Steve Davis v Peter Ebdon
Neil Robertson v Greame Dott
Mark Selby v Barry Hawkins
Stuart Bingham v Jamie Cope

all these matches are best of 5s so those 5 matches ive mentioned could easily go either way and throw the rankings right on it head.

Still all seems a bit weird to me, but of course we haven't watched it yet. Once it's been televised, and we have a better feeling for what is happening, hopefully I'll love it.

Postby Wildey

Whats weird lol

you get drawn instead of seeded nothing complicated there <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:Whats weird lol

you get drawn instead of seeded nothing complicated there <laugh>

It seems weird to me that a potential game between Ronnie and Selby wouldn't get televised. I don't mind the random draw from the first round, but if all the decent matches aren't televised. Also, the fact we are being sold Stuart Bingham vs Jamie Cope as a top-notch match. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

there are 11 last 64 matches the best match ups or players going to get televised and im possitive a Ronnie v Selby would be 1 of them lol

so theres 21 last 64 matches going to be played in qualifying.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:there are 11 last 64 matches the best match ups or players going to get televised and im possitive a Ronnie v Selby would be 1 of them lol

so theres 21 last 64 matches going to be played in qualifying.

Well, we'll see how it goes once the event starts. <laugh> Saying that, I'm pretty sure even a Ronnie vs Selby match over best of five wouldn't be anything special.

How long can I go before somebody accuses me of whinging?

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... Open_Slots)-2512.htm?tid=167

Jans And Rizzuti Handed World Open Slots

Wendy Jans and Anita Rizzuti, two of Europe’s top ladies players, have been given places in snooker’s new World Open.

Belgium’s Jans (pictured) and Norway’s Rizzuti will compete in the qualifying rounds of the world ranking event at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield this weekend. The tournament’s innovative format gives the chance for juniors, women and international amateurs and the winners of regional club tournaments to compete against the 96 professionals.

Jans will play World No 66 Simon Bedford, while Rizzuti will face current World Amateur Champion Alfie Burden. Both will need to win at least two matches to qualify for the televised stages in Glasgow in September.

Jans is the current European Champion, nine-times Belgian champion and won the IBSF World title in 2006.

"I'm very excited about playing in a world ranking event for the first time,” said the 27-year-old. “It's also the first time that I will be playing a male player in a professional event. I would love to see more events like this because it's a great chance for all the players out there to compete with the best in the world.

“I have beaten top male players in the past so I know I can do it. I also know that it won’t be easy because they are all top players. But I’ll give it my best shot.”

Norway ladies No 1 Ruzzuti, whose partner Kurt Maflin plays on the professional circuit, added: "My chances of qualifying are obviously slim, but I’m hoping a main tour event will bring out the very best in me. If a lady is going to qualify it could be my good friend Reanne Evans so I wish her the best of luck.

"I'm number one in the Norwegian rankings and have been for almost a year now, as I'm the only female snooker player in Norway. At the moment I'm trying to find all the time I can to practise so I can stay in front of the guys as long as possible. I love trying to beat the boys!

"Kurt and I have two kids so there's not too much time for me to practise. I don't practise that much with Kurt, it's better for him to play alone then with someone who gives him too many chances in a frame. It has inspired me a lot that he got back on the pro tour. He made a 147 in the first PTC event, and I wasn't surprised at all as he makes them all the time in practice."

The World Open features a random draw for each round, raising the possibility that Rizzuti and Maflin could be drawn to play him if they both qualify for the venue.

"If he didn't let me win, his dinner wouldn't be served for a long, long time!" she joked.

Postby Wildey

edited above <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I wish they would be less modest in telling us how the World Open format was innovative. It's only mentioned once in every article I read.

Postby Bourne

ROLL ON THE WORLD OPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby GJ

come on robbo WC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on stevens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:come on robbo WC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

come on stevens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, do you have to keep referring to Neil Robertson as a toilet facility? He isn't that bad. <laugh>

Postby GJ

ITS WORLD CHAMPION

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:ITS WORLD CHAMPION

<laugh> <laugh>

I can't believe you rose to that. 1-0.