Topic locked

Re: QSP - Qualifying School Preparation Series tournaments

Postby Wildey

£1,000 is extremely steep with no guarantee of nothing the other side but you go to university it costs more than that ...

this is snookers university

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:£1,000 is extremely steep with no guarantee of nothing the other side but you go to university it costs more than that ...

this is snookers university

its a drop in the ocean compared to the potential future rewards. If you think your good enough, you wont think twice about handing over a bag of sand to the WPSBA for a shot at getting on the main tour.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:£1000 isn't too steep if you ask me. Do you think these events cost nothing to organise?

these kids are straight from school .....where do you think they can get their hands on a grand that easily ?

but

i did not say it was wrong i likened it to university and the fact they might have to take out a student loan lol

Postby Sarah Mount

Hello Everyone!

Just to clarify as I'm not sure if people are refering to our QSP Series when stating that £1000 is too expensive as our event costs £500 to enter. Each of the four events will offer prize money to those who participate and will give them the chance to play competitive matches on tables identical to what they will be playing on at the Qualifying School.

The top four players will be rewarded with their £1000 entry fee to the Q School being paid on their behalf, on top of the prize money for each event, and will also receive full use of the Academy in the build up to the Qualifying School in order to provide them with the opportunity to practice on our tables with professionals as well as solo practice.

We have had a positive response so far so it will be interesting to see how many players do enter the QSP Series.

Regards

Sarah

Postby Wildey

sarah

im not criticizing anything being a snooker pro is not a charity players got to put their money where their mouths are as others said but i can see why some talented players wont enter but as Barry Hearn said on Radio save up and do it.

same with everything worthwhile

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:sarah

im not criticizing anything being a snooker pro is not a charity players got to put their money where their mouths are as others said but i can see why some talented players wont enter but as Barry Hearn said on Radio save up and do it.

same with everything worthwhile

I dont see that happening Wild, anyone whos talented will know their level and realistically know whether they could hack it on the main tour and whether they are really potentially good enough to make a career / living off the game.

A grands not a lot in this day and age, and its certainly a gamble worth taking for these guys.

If i was younger and a bit more talented at the game, i wouldnt have thought twice about entering something like this.

Also the Snooker Academys Preparation School tournaments are a great way for the amateurs to keep their eye in and have a level playing field against the pros who drop off tour and will also be in the Qualifying School.

Will be dog eat dog in the Qualifying School and should be very competitive. I just hope Jimmy doesnt end up in it.

Postby Wildey

doesn't always work like that

my uncle had the opportunity to go to music school in London he had the talent he could have become the welsh pavaroti but my grandparents didn't have the money to send him so he ended up working for the council.

Postby Roland

wildJONESEYE wrote:doesn't always work like that

my uncle had the opportunity to go to music school in London he had the talent he could have become the welsh pavaroti but my grandparents didn't have the money to send him so he ended up working for the council.

rofl

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:doesn't always work like that

phew! :bowdown: one Pavaroti is enough, not even considering a Welsh version of him....

Postby Smart

Back on topic.

Its about risk and reward. You put up a thousand smackers and in return you might just find that this is your future career.

If you think its worth a thousand smackers then you do paper rounds, wash cars or simply grovel to parents ...... and take your chance. Simple. <ok>

Postby Sarah Mount

Hello!

We can now announce the prize fund for each of the four events based on 128 entries. Please note that this prize fund is not guaranteed and is dependent on 128 entries:

Winner £1500 (x1)
Runner Up £750 (x1)
Semi-Finalists £400 (x2)
Quarter-Finalists £200 (x4)
Last 16 £125 (x8)
Last 32 £50 (16)

What we can guarantee at this stage is that the top four players at the end of the series will win their £1000 entry fee to the Q School in May as well as full use of the Academy's facilities in the build up to Q School worth £3600 each. Players ranked 5th-8th in the series will get four free days at the Academy worth £160 each.

Postby Wildey

i like this idea..

everything thats happening at the top of the sport now is ripeling down through the ranks to grass roots and giving young players the incentive to see snooker as a proper chance to make it big.

Postby Sarah Mount

wildJONESEYE wrote:i like this idea..

everything thats happening at the top of the sport now is ripeling down through the ranks to grass roots and giving young players the incentive to see snooker as a proper chance to make it big.

Thanks very much-most appreciated. You are right, there does seem to be a lot of opportunities for amateurs and young players this season which is great news!

Postby Wildey

i watched some of the World Open pre qualifying at the academy online and it looks huge with seats there hopefully next season there will be PTC and qualifying action played there is that something you want to see happening ?

Postby Sarah Mount

wildJONESEYE wrote:i watched some of the World Open pre qualifying at the academy online and it looks huge with seats there hopefully next season there will be PTC and qualifying action played there is that something you want to see happening ?

That's great that you watched some of our World Open Qualifying event streaming on our website. The Academy is a massive, purpose built building with a total of 20,000 square foot of floor space. Each of the eight match tables have spectator seating installed, we have four practice tables in the practice room, which is large enough to have temporary seating installed for events and we have a 400 seat main arena which is just about finished! (we were let down by the seat supplier). The arena has a commentators booth and seating area for the second marker so is fitted for televised/streamed matches. We also have a large players lounge, large reception, tournament office and media office, shop and kitchen.

Here is a link to a short video of some of the facilities we have:

As for holding PTC events and/or qualifying matches at the South West Snooker Academy-we would be very interested in deed. We do however, appreciate that World Snooker have the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield which provides what they require so we are working on our own initiatives as well to compliment what is already out there.

Thanks again wildJONESEYE

Postby Wildey

but where you got a advantage is for spectator interaction without having to set up tables with seating for qualifiers ok they could keep PTC at Sheffield but surely having the shanghai masters qualifiers played with no spectators is not great then theres the World Qualifiers a major part of the snooker year are they also going to be played at the Academy or in the Badminton Hall in Sheffield.

if its at the badminton hall it will cost to set it up for Qualifiers where you already set up and fan Friendly.

Postby Sarah Mount

Hello Everyone :wave:

Sincere apologies for the lack of information regarding the QSP in the past few weeks. The unexpected arrival of a PTC event somewhat disrupted our preparations but we are back on course now. We now have all of the information on our website as well as an online form for you to enter or register your interest in entering the series.

As mentioned in a previous post, there will be a prize fund for each event with a total prize fund for the series of over £25,000 (based on 128 entries) Each event winner will win £1500 and the top four players at the end of the series will win £1000 to reimburse their Q School entry fees.

All the information you should need can be found on our website but if you do have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer them.

Many thanks!

Sarah