Post a reply

NOTW: Higgins body left undiscovered for two weeks?

Postby Roland

THE body of snooker legend Alex Higgins may have been left undiscovered for up to TWO WEEKS, we can reveal.

The cancer-stricken star was found dead in his Belfast flat last week. It's thought he might have starved to death.

But it's not known exactly how long the former world champ, 61, had been there for. Police investigating the case know that Higgins spoke to his sister Ann a couple of weekends before. The frail sportsman, who blew at least £3million as he battled a drink and gambling problem, was seen at his local, the Royal Bar, on July 13.

After that, the cops are not sure, which leaves an 11-DAY gap in which he could have passed away.

One close associate said: "No one is exactly sure how long Alex had been dead before his body was discovered - which is really upsetting for his family and friends.

"It was said last week that Alex was probably dead for a few days - but it's feared to be at least a week, probably more. It is a tragic end to a man who had such a glittering career."

Last week celebrity pals including fellow pros Jimmy White and Steve Davis, lined up to pay tribute to The Hurricane. And more stars, including Liam and Noel Gallagher, are expected to turn up for his funeral tomorrow.

Higgins's former PA and lifelong friend Will Robinson said: "We won't know for sure until the coroner reports but I was trying to get hold of Alex for at least ten days.

"I tried calling and even wrote a letter. Even for Alex, it was unusual to go off the radar for so long."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/89 ... orror.html

This contradicts the following:

South Belfast pensioners Jim and Isobel love sitting outside their favourite cafe on Sandy Row, sipping cappuccinos, smoking a cigarette and watching the world go by.

The couple are fixtures on the street most days and would have often noticed Alex Higgins pass by on his usual route from his nearby flat to the bookmakers.

“We hadn’t seen him since Wednesday, that was the last time,” Isobel said.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 88594.html

Who would've thought the News of the World would put a sensationist version of what actually happened in order to make a story?

Had it been true though, that would've meant he was lying undiscovered at the time of the Doncaster Snooker Legends Tour where he was mentioned and wished get well soon which brought a spontaneous burst of applause from the crowd.

Re: NOTW: Higgins body left undiscovered for two weeks?

Postby SnookerFan

News Of The World = :bird:

Typical sensationalist journalism. We don't know how long his body had been left, so we'll use that as 'evidence' that it had been lying there for weeks. How about you don't report the facts until you know what they are, lads?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 04 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:Contemptible. Just about to embark on my trip to Belfast, should arrive up at stupid o'clock, but hey, only option available to me.

NoTW = scum

Nice. <ok>

I went to Dublin as a kid. I was too young to drink, nor did I want to. But I remember the drink culture over there. Not a bunch of louts, but they enjoyed a few pints, and some crack. My dad took us to the Guinness brewery, and we had several pub lunches as an excuse for him to have a pint of the black stuff. He says it aint the same in England. I remember me and my younger brother being left behind with the older teenagers watching the telly whilst the adults popped over the pub. I thought I had a good deal at the time, no adults. I was like :excited: Now, I am an adult I wish I had gone with them. Enjoy it son. You're probably not old enoygh to legally drink, are you? Try and have one for the Hurricane if you can. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Thanks Snookerfan. It was pretty emotional, seeing that carriage pass was when it really hit me. The guy inside that coffin hit THAT 69 break, won the 82 World Championship, called for his daughter. These were moments of snooker history. His daughter is a beauty I must say, caught a glimpse of her. Her poem was lump in the throat stuff, she was a credit.

I had a few drinks, not guinness though unfortunately, I didn't have the balls to go that far <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:Thanks Snookerfan. It was pretty emotional, seeing that carriage pass was when it really hit me. The guy inside that coffin hit THAT 69 break, won the 82 World Championship, called for his daughter. These were moments of snooker history. His daughter is a beauty I must say, caught a glimpse of her. Her poem was lump in the throat stuff, she was a credit.

I had a few drinks, not guinness though unfortunately, I didn't have the balls to go that far <laugh>

Not my favourite drink, I must say. My dad only touched the stuff when on holiday in Ireland, says the stuff we get in England is snake hiss by comparison. Guinness claims theres no difference between the English and Irish Guinness, lots of drinkers say different.

I am sure Alex had an opinion on this matter. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:Can't beat a Guinness. Its on my to do list to have a pint from Irland as I too have been told many times that the quality is much better in Irland.

I think it's a tribute to Alex, and a complete :rude: to the NOTW that we've turned this thread into a conversation about alcohol. I am happy to do both though.

For me, Guinness is more of a yoghurt then a beer. And it tastes rank. On the other hand, I'm just a sissy lager drinker (or so my family from Birmingham tell me), so my opinion may not matter.

Postby Witz78

Guiness most definetly tastes totally different in the UK compared to Oirland.

Its so much darker and thicker in Dublin id say.

I used to drink it regularly when i was 18 then once i was sick a few times it put me off it for life i think. Have had 2 pints of it in the last 10 years id reckon. Just doesnt appeal to me at all.

Its a bit like Whisky, does anyone under 50 actually like the taste of it or drink it? Is it even that popular in the pubs in England etc or is it just all the old alcoholics up here who drink it?

Postby N_Castle07

Witz78 wrote:Guiness most definetly tastes totally different in the UK compared to Oirland.

I used to drink it regularly when i was 18 then once i was sick a few times it put me off it for life i think. Have had 2 pints of it in the last 10 years id reckon. Just doesnt appeal to me at all.

Its a bit like Whisky, does anyone under 50 actually like the taste of it or drink it? Is it even that popular in the pubs in England etc or is it just all the old alcoholics up here who drink it?

Are you joking??????? Whiskey is lush you can't beat it, the taste is just out of this world and it gets the job done too. And it is a total insult to put a mixer into whiskey.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Guiness most definetly tastes totally different in the UK compared to Oirland.

Are you joking??????? Whiskey is lush you can't beat it, the taste is just out of this world and it gets the job done too. And it is a total insult to put a mixer into whiskey.

A few days after Christmas last year, I went with a friend to my parents house. My dad asked my friend if she wanted a drink, and she asked if she had any whisky. The only thing my dad was a bottle of Laphroaig. You should've seen his face when she asked him to put coke in it. <laugh>

Postby N_Castle07

SnookerFan wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:

A few days after Christmas last year, I went with a friend to my parents house. My dad asked my friend if she wanted a drink, and she asked if she had any whisky. The only thing my dad was a bottle of Laphroaig. You should've seen his face when she asked him to put coke in it. <laugh>

<laugh> Yes it is a big no no to put mixers into whisky.

Postby Noel

N_Castle07 wrote:Can't beat a Guinness. Its on my to do list to have a pint from Irland as I too have been told many times that the quality is much better in Irland.

Makes for a great embalming fluid too!

=o)

Noel

[ trying get back on topic ladies and gents ]

Even so... after two weeks... the stench would be enough to gag a maggot.
Last edited by Noel on 04 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby snookerbacker

As a Guinness drinker that likes the odd tot of single malt I find the lack of appreciation of the black stuff here hard to take, it almost has me reaching for the bottle (hic).

Tubberlad, just seen this thread, seems like an emotional day all round, I agree, even as a devout Atheist that Lauren's poem was very touching.

Postby gallantrabbit

I have as much respect for the NOTW as have for any tabloid rag BUT while I run the risk of drying tears and producing venom in some, it wouldn`t be the biggest surprise in the world if Higgins were left for a good while. I mean the last time he spoke to his daughter he told her to f*** off...so if that were the case with her how many others would have had any patience with the fellow.
Thanks for the memories Alex but just a pity you never worked out where you were going wrong...