Post a reply

A Song for Selby

Postby N_Castle07

Bryan Claasz has got in touch to inform me he has written a song about Mark Selby.

You can listen to it on his Myspace page here.

I don't think Bob Dylan will be losing any sleep but a couple of listens ensures the song stays in your head, even if you don't want it to.

Snooker has a long, inglorious relationship with popular music, taking in the seminal Snooker Loopy, the Romford Rap, Alex Higgins's One-Four-Seven - with its melancholic B-side Life's in the Pocket - and Peter Ebdon's non-chart bothering efforts to name but a few.

And this isn't the first time a player has had a song written about him.

I recall being at a tournament in Kilkenny a few years ago when a man claiming to be Ireland's leading Elvis impersonator dropped in, as you do, and presented Ronnie O'Sullivan with a CD.

'Elvis' had rewritten 'Rocket Man' in tribute and to the best of my knowledge has not yet been sued by Bernie Taupin.

Sample lyric: 'And I'm gonna be hi-i-i-igh on the black by then'

Ronnie loved it, so much so that there was talk of playing it at the Crucible, although he was presumably so bored being at the game's premier event by that point that he forgot all about it.

I've heard Selby do karaoke. He's not bad. Ironically, he does a pretty mean version of 'Rocket Man' (with the original lyrics).

Maybe Barry Hearn should set up a kind of snooker X-Factor.

Then again, maybe not.
Posted by Dave H at 8:00 AM 0

What do you think of this song?

Re: A Song for Selby

Postby Roland

I'll check it out when I've got access to myspace but I'm expecting it to be bullocks.

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:I'll check it out when I've got access to myspace but I'm expecting it to be tezzies.

lol yes, probably. There have been 3 or 4 written for Ronnie and it's hard to tell which one is the daftest! Doesn't stop hardcore fangirls to love them though... :john: Price of fame Mark! :D

Postby Roland

I just listened to it and it's class!

....not really, it's absolutely bucking rubbish

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I just listened to it and it's class!

....not really, it's absolutely bucking rubbish

<laugh>

I'll check it out when I aint at work.