Post a reply

Snooker Needs to Embrace Technology

Postby Cheesyman99

Live Scoring has really summed up for me how snooker is not going forward with technology and how it is far behind other sports. There are lots of different sections to looking at:

Streaming/Scoring: It is getting very frustrating now. Last season we were given the promise of Live Streaming for all the qualifiers however this was only for 2 tables and was stopped pretty early on. How hard is it to just put one little camera at the top of the table and stream it on a website. We could also have 1 or 2 tables with commentary and more camera angles. Not sure where live scoring is going now but I don't think it is needed if we get streaming. Hearn said he would move the qualifiers to Sheffield so they could be streamed. None yet.

HD: It seems as if every sport is in HD now, even Darts, but Snooker is only in HD for the World Championships, on Eurosport. Why did BBC not broadcast any of the Worlds in HD despite already having the HD cameras. No other tournaments were broadcast in HD and even Sky Sports didn't put the Premier League in HD. Also, according to Sky Sports Magazine, this seasons tournament will not be in High Definition. Let down.

iPhone Apps: iPhone Apps are one of the biggest things now. However World Snooker only released a dreadful World Championship App, which cost way too much and was released at the end of the Worlds. It didn't work and didn't offer much. Hopefully one will be realeased with news, live scoring and maybe even streaming of events. It can't be too hard to develop and I can imagine there is a market for it.

Video Games: Snooker games are great fun and they are usually released fairly often. However WSC REAL 09, the most recent, was very shoddy presentation wise and not very accurate with real-life. The Top 16 still had to qualify for events. Most were out of date and the 96 players were 2 years out of date! Since then there has been no news of a new game. There is a large fan base for these games and if one came out up-to-date with al l the players and tournaments it would be great.

Re: Snooker Needs to Embrace Technology

Postby Wildey

theres a new live scoring in the pipework they are testing it out making sure all the blips that made mark 1 to be crap is ironed out before they inflict it on us.

regarding streaming 110 sport let us down with the help of rod the plod.

regarding HD who the buck cares mate as long you see balls tables and pockets i couldn't give a dam.

Postby Roland

I agree entirely with Cheesyman on this. It is indeed very disappointing if Sky don't broadcast the Premier League in HD. They do it with every other event they broadcast so why not snooker? What are they playing at? Wasting their time with 3D right now and they haven't got HD fully sorted yet, that's what.

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn has said he wants to embrase tecknolagy in to snooker and i believe he will virtually all of cheesymans points will come true over the next 3 to 4 years hopefully streaming of quals before then and Live Scoring Next month at the latest hopefully Tomorrow <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I'll admit, none of these issues are a big deal to me personally. I've never attempted to watch live screening, haven't got an IPhone or HD telly, nor do I play computer games at all. On saying that, none of these are bad ideas, and maybe if snooker is to move forward Hearn should adopt some of these as at least a plan of where his business is going. The HD one at least, you would think is a bit of a minimum requirement, as stated it is now a big thing for a lot of people, even if I'm not one of them.

The problem snooker faces is this... If Sky isn't getting massive viewers on Sky, are Sky really going to bother taking the time to make it HD? Until snooker embraces technology, it may still have small-time sport feel. But as long as it has that small-time sport feel, would technology want to embrace snooker?

One thing is for sure. The technology they do have should at least work properly. I've never watched the live scoring, but by the sound of it the standard is unacceptable. It can't be breaking every two minutes, but it makes the sport and all involved in promoting it look like a bunch of mugs.

Postby Rocket_ron

SnookerFan wrote:
are Sky really going to bother taking the time to make it HD? Until snooker embraces technology, it may still have small-time sport feel. But as long as it has that small-time sport feel, would technology want to embrace snooker?

Excellent comment snookerfan <ok> <ok>

Postby Roland

Not an excellent comment actually, as HD is rife on Sky. They have 4 Sky Sports HD channels and hardly anything at all isn't in HD which is why it's a joke they don't show snooker in HD.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:Not an excellent comment actually, as HD is rife on Sky. They have 4 Sky Sports HD channels and hardly anything at all isn't in HD which is why it's a joke they don't show snooker in HD.

blame barry hearn, im sure the premier legue will be in HD

Postby Cheesyman99

rocket_ron wrote:
Sonny wrote:Not an excellent comment actually, as HD is rife on Sky. They have 4 Sky Sports HD channels and hardly anything at all isn't in HD which is why it's a joke they don't show snooker in HD.

Sky Sports Magazine has a TV guide and had all the channels the programs were on. They would say if it was in HD and it seemed like Premier League Snooker was the only one. Usually it would say something like "Sky Sports HD3" but it just said "Sky Sports 3." Still, maybe it just hasn't been announced yet.
But still, HD is amazing and if every other sport has it, such as Darts and Speedway, why can't Snooker?

Postby Roland

"Also, according to Sky Sports Magazine, this seasons tournament will not be in High Definition." - first post.

Some answers are required on this one.

Postby Cheesyman99

Also, some sports are creating innovative technology to use for their sport. Could snooker use one? A heart monitor perhaps? Or even cameras in the players dressing rooms between frames. (The last one sounds creepy but something like that). Most sports have things you can do with the Red Button, alternative commentary, camera angles etc. We could have these in Snooker, and I think the Premier League would be a good place to be innovative and do something different with Sky Sports.

Postby SnookerFan

I think the real issue here is this. My comment was excellent damn it. :wild2:

<laugh> <laugh>

Okay, I didn't realise how far ranging HD was on Sky. I didn't realise every Sky show was HD, apart from the snooker. As this is the case, then yes, it seems a bit of diss to snooker.

I think the point about snooker needing to embrace cutting edge technology to bring itself into the big-time, but needing to be seen as big-time before cutting edge technology embraces snooker is part of the conundrum which also needs to be acknowledged somewhat. I think Hearn is the sort of person that knows how to market, catch peoples eye and create interest though. So, hopefully we'll start seeing solutions to this sort of issue.

Postby Monique

Cheesyman99 wrote:Also, some sports are creating innovative technology to use for their sport. Could snooker use one? A heart monitor perhaps? Or even cameras in the players dressing rooms between frames. (The last one sounds creepy but something like that). Most sports have things you can do with the Red Button, alternative commentary, camera angles etc. We could have these in Snooker, and I think the Premier League would be a good place to be innovative and do something different with Sky Sports.

I remember Jimmy being interviewed bare chested in his dressing room before a PL match. Not a pretty sight (non merci! although there are a few players I wouldn't mind to watch in the shower ;) ... but not many). I don't think players would appreciate to wear devices that could give away their state of stress neither. If anything I'd love to have the possibility to replay some actions on very slo-mo by myself right after it happened.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:

Blame Barry Hearn ?

listen to yourselfes people think Barry Hearn coming in like a magician and magic everything together from Day 1.

its work in progress nobody can work their magic like some of you think he can.

it was beginning of june he got control..... priority was getting professionals to play like professionals now thats being done dont blame him for years and years and years of rubbish people snake hissing against the wind trying to run a sport when quite frankly they couldn't run a bucking bath.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:Also, some sports are creating innovative technology to use for their sport. Could snooker use one? A heart monitor perhaps? Or even cameras in the players dressing rooms between frames. (The last one sounds creepy but something like that). Most sports have things you can do with the Red Button, alternative commentary, camera angles etc. We could have these in Snooker, and I think the Premier League would be a good place to be innovative and do something different with Sky Sports.

I remember Jimmy being interviewed bare chested in his dressing room before a PL match. Not a pretty sight (non merci! although there are a few players I wouldn't mind to watch in the shower ;) ... but not many). I don't think players would appreciate to wear devices that could give away their state of stress neither. If anything I'd love to have the possibility to replay some actions on very slo-mo by myself right after it happened.

Come on everyone. Guessing game. Who does everybody think Mon wants to see in the shower? Stephen Lee? <laugh> Reanne Evans? :ba:

Postby SnookerFan

Not really sure about those particular suggestions. What does seeing a player's heart rate really add to the viewing audience? I expect somebody is going to contradict me and come up with running or cycling or something as a professional sport that uses this sort of technology. But I don't see it really adds anything to snooker. Have you ever watched a game and thought; "Hmm, I wonder what this player's heart rate is?"

They did use to have a camera that showed them walking back to their dressing rooms after the match. Usually didn't add anything, but did provide a funny clip of John Higgins getting back only to find that he had been locked out. <laugh> A lot of the times between frames they're going out for a snake hiss, so I don't see that idea being implemented. And even if they are doing something more tasteful, splashing their eyes with water and composing themselves before the next frame, is it really something that we need to see?

I think the live scoring issues needs to be addressed more, and also I am suprised nobody has noticed that at some tournaments there are matches that are impossible to watch on television. At the UK Championship, this is particularly unacceptable, what with it being the second biggest tournament of the year, and being on a channel that allows for red button usage. Maybe this is more of a rearranging the tournament issue, then providing more technology, but I still think it needs looking at.

Postby paperbackwriter

I don't really care about some of the things suggested, like games or even iPhone Apps (could be useful though, it's just something I can be perfectly happy without), but I guess it should all be done- if you embrace technology (and you kind of have to), then do it good and please or even attract as many people as possible. I only don't think heart monitors / cameras in the dressing room are good ideas- these would partially spoil the fun for me, as I like to observe myself how stressed players are and maybe assume some things, I don't want to peep here and there and have a full picture without even paying much attention to player's behaviour during the match.
As for much needed live scoring / streaming, of course Barry Hearn needs time, but these aren't some difficult tasks which are worth waiting forever for and if now it's too early to judge, it'll soon start to become more and more annoying. But okay, I hope at least live scoring will work properly (I wanted to say 'better than ever', but that's too easy to achieve) in no time and complaining won't be relevant anymore.

Postby Wildey

Regarding Live scoring it shouldn't really be that hard to make it work im just amazed it took Barry Hearn to see how rubbish it was....

i think they not only going to re launch Live but the whole website to correspond with the shanghai masters in a months time.

its just a shame when we really need it during the quals its not there.

Postby Cheesyman99

Anyone got any clever ideas they could use in televised snooker like the heart monitors etc. I'd like the heart monitors to see how nervous a player is at certain times. Anyone got any ideas?