Post a reply

Barry Hearn to "hunt" the cheats

Postby Monique

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/188654
[quote

SNOOKER: SHOP THE CHEATS, SAYS BARRY HEARN

World Snooker supremo Barry Hearn is in the process of setting up an anti-corruption unit
BARRY Hearn’s crusade to restore snooker’s image will extend to getting players to shop cheats and sending undercover agents out to test their integrity.
World Snooker supremo Hearn is in the process of setting up an anti-corruption unit in the wake of the John Higgins scandal that rocked the sport at the Crucible.
World No1 Higgins is alleged to have agreed to throw frames for money in future tournaments – a charge he vehemently denies. Hearn expects a verdict from independent tribunal body Sport Resolutions by September 1 before the Shanghai Masters .
Hearn, who has made giving snooker a whiter-than-white image his top priority, said: “We need to install the fear factor among players. There will be confidential phone numbers and email addresses and if tour players know or hear of anything illegal, they must report it.
“If they are approached about anything illegal and don’t report it, they will be judged to be as guilty as the person making the approach.”
And he warned players: “During the year you may get a few little testers. We might just want to know ourselves that everyone is following the rules.”
Ronnie O’Sullivan has branded the snooker world championship “boring”. O’Sullivan, a three-timeCrucible king, was speaking in London’s Courthouse Doubletree hotel yesterdayat the launch of the new ‘Power Snooker’ format. It will take place at the IndigO2 arena on October 30, with eight players, O’Sullivan among them, scrapping for a £35,000 first prize.
O’Sullivan, 34, said: “ The world championship is a bore to be honest. Spending 17 days in Sheffield at one event is draining.”[/quote]

Well, this I don't like too much. I see the rationale behind it, I do understand fully why the image of thegame must be one of pristine honesty but the very idea of "provocation" profoundly annoys and disturbs me.

Re: Barry Hearn to "hunt" the cheats

Postby Wildey

Well done lets expose anyone thats dodgy and throw them out ASAP :clap:

Postby Roland

Well yes, however isn't what he's suggesting reminiscent of the Stazi in East Germany?

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well yes, however isn't what he's suggesting reminiscent of the Stazi in East Germany?

To be honest i dont care i want cheats out if they there.

i cant be doing with this crap painting snooker as corrupt i want them out.

wouldnt it be better to have World Snooker doing this in a controlled manner than having intimidating tactics of the NOTW done it.

had John had this a few years back and reported it to World Snooker then the chances are things would be clean cut than they are at present where we got this intimidating factor argument hanging over this case.

Postby Noel

SnookerFan wrote:Barry Hearn announces he's going to send in super secret undercover agents..... <laugh>

In his quest to ferret out the bull,
I think he said "going to send all the players super absorbent underwear".
...to gather solid evidence to support "The Tracks of My Fears"!

=o|

Noel

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Barry Hearn announces he's going to send in super secret undercover agents..... <doh>

Way to tell everyone, Hearn. <laugh>

simple

every approach from agents or genuine match fixers will be reported otherwise if its a AGENT its down the job centre <ok>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Barry Hearn announces he's going to send in super secret undercover agents..... <doh>

Way to tell everyone, Hearn. <laugh>

simple

every approach from agents or genuine match fixers will be reported otherwise if its a AGENT its down the job centre <ok>

Id imagine a few players will be randomly targeted to see if they fall into a trap of being talked into cheating by these undercover agents. If they dont report to the WPSBA immediately whats just happened they will have a case to answer.

Weve had random drugs testing in sport for years so random match fixing testing is no different !

Postby Wildey

dont forget its not to catch players out but to tell them you be on your guard at all time or your career is as good as over.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:dont forget its not to catch players out but to tell them you be on your guard at all time or your career is as good as over.

yes its mainly scaremongering to put the fear of god into the players to not do anything thats not 100% squeaky clean but a few random checks from Hearns spies will also be happening i feel

Postby Wildey

there might be 1 spy in 2 years BUT the players will not know when that will happen so if they get a aproach can they afford not to call World snooker ;)

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:there might be 1 spy in 2 years BUT the players will not know when that will happen so if they get a aproach can they afford not to call World snooker ;)

Yeah, joking aside, you can't complain. If every player that has an approach thinks twice, it'll have worked. And if anybody gets caught, they'll have one more reason for us to call them stupid.

Postby Wildey

well if any player gets caught out now after what has happened stupid wouldn't start to cover what they are

Postby Noel

Hearn has been around as long as anyone in the game.
He knows it inside and out from all angles which is why he makes an effective Godfather.
You can be sure he also knows who all the "cheats" have been and are.
Thanks to NOTW and Higgins/Mooney, he now has a carte blanche to set up all his little dogs in a row...
we await to see who are the ones to go.

=o(

Noel