Post a reply

Peter Ebdon Statement

Postby Roland

Peter Ebdon, the World number 18, has released the following statement:
"I would like to make it known that I consider that I will not be in a position to play to the best of my ability in my Roewe Shanghai Masters qualifying match in Sheffield next week.

"This is down to personal circumstances, including the fact that I am getting re-married in Hungary this weekend. Since playing in a recent tournament in Thailand I have not been able to practise, and by the time the qualifiers come around I will not have played for ten days or more.

"I know just how bad I can be when I don't feel properly prepared as I am the type of player who needs to practise hard in order to play to a reasonable standard.

"As always, I will be doing my utmost to win what is a very important match for me but in truth, my levels of expectation will not be very high."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC3_news%2 ... tm?tid=185

:chin:

Re: Peter Ebdon Statement

Postby Wildey

what a strange strange statement :chin:

and you got to think its to do with that wenbo match few years back that he even felt he even had to say anything.....i think thats very sad.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
Peter Ebdon, the World number 18, has released the following statement:
"I would like to make it known that I consider that I will not be in a position to play to the best of my ability in my Roewe Shanghai Masters qualifying match in Sheffield next week.

"This is down to personal circumstances, including the fact that I am getting re-married in Hungary this weekend. Since playing in a recent tournament in Thailand I have not been able to practise, and by the time the qualifiers come around I will not have played for ten days or more.

"I know just how bad I can be when I don't feel properly prepared as I am the type of player who needs to practise hard in order to play to a reasonable standard.

"As always, I will be doing my utmost to win what is a very important match for me but in truth, my levels of expectation will not be very high."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC3_news%2 ... tm?tid=185

:chin:

Odd statement from Ebdon. He isn't the first person to have stuff going up in their personal lives before some important matches. Why bother bringing it up at all?

Postby Roland

It's very strange. Also the fact it was released by World Snooker makes it even stranger. What's he going to feel like if he wins a few matches?

Postby N_Castle07

Very strange. What will happen now with the bookies on this match???

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:It's very strange. Also the fact it was released by World Snooker makes it even stranger. What's he going to feel like if he wins a few matches?

it was obviously released by World Snooker because he asked them to :?

Jesus more i think about this more i think what a bloody wally.

Postby SnookerFan

John Higgins, Jamie Burnett, Stephen Maguire and Stephen Lee have all been in the news recently accused of match fixing. Then a guy who was accused of it a few years ago comes out and admits he hasn't been practising. Will this be seen as a suspicious comment?

I don't think it is one, more an attempt to get his excuses in early. But might those that investigate these things think this is a cunning code to confirm he's going to lose his next match?

Postby N_Castle07

Thinking more about this Ebdon may feel like he could be beat or maybe even whitewashed. Considering the recent events he may of felt it would be wise to inform the WSA and produce this statement so that he wouldn’t be put under question again. Still this is strange and does that mean every player may feel the need to do this when there not feeling right just because of the recent scandal to hit the game.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:John Higgins, Jamie Burnett, Stephen Maguire and Stephen Lee have all been in the news recently accused of match fixing. Then a guy who was accused of it a few years ago comes out and admits he hasn't been practising. Will this be seen as a suspicious comment?

I don't think it is one, more an attempt to get his excuses in early. But might those that investigate these things think this is a cunning code to confirm he's going to lose his next match?

just peter being a sausage mate.

never have i herd a player making mountain out of a molehill more than him all this tosh about peaking for the WC thats his aim.....bolloxx ITS JUST FLANNEL.

Postby Roland

I'll have a tenner on him to lose his first match :redneck:

Postby N_Castle07

Sonny wrote:I'll have a tenner on him to lose his first match :redneck:

But at what odds? And how are the bookies going to feel about this now?

Postby Casey

Is nobody else thinking that there has been unusual betting on this, so ebbo gets his speak in now? Why else would world snooker publish this?

Postby Wildey

I think bookies will give this match a miss...

bucking hell rofl this is the most bizare statement in sporting history bar none well since cantona and the seagulls following a trawler ....you really need a round the twist smiley mate.

Postby Monique

Well, well ... Congratulations Peter! ;)
What else to say? Bizarre it is indeed.

Postby Monique

But THIS is interesting http://www.sportingintelligence.com/201 ... rm-280701/?
Former snooker world champion Peter Ebdon releases unprecedented forecast of poor form
By Nick Harris
28 July 2010
Peter Ebdon, the former world snooker champion, has today taken the unprecedented step of releasing a public statement via the game’s world governing body to say he may not play very well at his next event.
The 2002 world champion, 39, currently No18 in the world, will still compete in the event in question but said in the statement: “I would like to make it known that I consider that I will not be in a position to play to the best of my ability in my Roewe Shanghai Masters qualifying match in Sheffield next week.
“This is down to personal circumstances, including the fact that I am getting re-married in Hungary this weekend. Since playing in a recent tournament in Thailand I have not been able to practise, and by the time the qualifiers come around I will not have played for ten days or more.
“I know just how bad I can be when I don’t feel properly prepared as I am the type of player who needs to practise hard in order to play to a reasonable standard.
“As always, I will be doing my utmost to win what is a very important match for me but in truth, my levels of expectation will not be very high.”
Snooker insiders are already describing Ebdon’s statement as “bizarre” and “extraordinary” because no player in snooker, and perhaps in any sport, has previously been known to issue a statement flagging up the possibility they might under-perform.
The most obvious explanation for Ebdon’s action is that it will pre-explain any “shock” result that might befall him in Sheffield by highlighting his vulnerability beforehand. It will also allow bookmakers to assess his chances more realistically.
Ebdon was the subject of a lengthy investigation by the Gambling Commission over a 5-0 defeat to the Chinese player Liang Wenbo at the Northern Ireland trophy in 2008 which occured in the wake of a series of unusual bets on that match. The Commission eventually dropped its investigation.
Ebdon’s statement also comes as the snooker authorities continue their prosecution process against the world No1 player, John Higgins, over News of the World allegations in May that Higgins agreed to fix frames for cash. This website’s coverage of that case can be seen as published on 3 May here, on 8 May here, on 9 May here, on 18 May here, on 18 June here, and yesterday here.
Sportingintelligence can reveal that Higgins, who was suspended from all snooker on 2 May as a result of the News of the World allegations, made an appeal against that suspension, and the appeal was handled, reluctantly, by one person, WPBSA board member, Brandon Parker, who upheld the appeal.
Parker was reluctant to make a call because he had access to only some of the evidence against Higgins at the time, but he upheld the decision to keep Higgins’ suspension in place because of the severity of the accusations and because of the greater good of snooker he has told this website.
Further developments are expected in the Higgins case imminently, perhaps within hours, relating to the release of evidence to investigators. More later.

bold added by me

Postby Wildey

brandon parker was right to do what he did id have done exactly the same without a second thought.

on ebdon rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Rocket_ron

I think we should all put a tenner on him losing then it will look sus <ok>

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:

I think we should all put a tenner on him losing then it will look sus <ok>

who sais hes going to lose ??

maybee the other guy probably Dominic Dale just back from a week in space via vienna where he lives to get his cue and feeling totally knackered lol

Postby Roland

You put a tenner on him to win then wild you mug

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:You put a tenner on him to win then wild you mug

i never bet on snooker something players should take head of in future :redneck:

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote: i never bet on snooker

... maybe you should take out an "insurance" bet on that?!?

=o)

Noel

Postby snookerbacker

I've been known to have the odd flutter, just in reply to an earlier post about possible suspicious patterns already, no bookies have priced the matches next week up yet and Ebdon, if I'm correct doesn't even know who he plays yet. I'd be very surprised if any bookie prices this match up, they might even swerve the whole qualifying event thanks to this statement. If any do bet on them they will be Sportingbet and Skybet, they are the most savvy when it comes to snooker betting.

Postby Witz78

N_Castle07 wrote:

But at what odds? And how are the bookies going to feel about this now?

What about THORNE rofl Hows he gonna feel like this? Its another scenario like the time Parrot lost his cue and told everyone he didnt have a chance and Thorne duly lumped £38,000 on him, only for Parrot to win 5-4 whilst Thorne was commentating.

Thorne must be tempted haha

Postby Witz78

The bookies have to not touch this game following this statement.

For all we know Ebdon could be in the practice form of his life and the story could be a smokescreen to throw the bookies and lure them into making him far longer odds than he normally would be, thus making him an attractive punt at inflated odds to people in the know, and many others resulting in the bookies facing a massive liability.

Postby SnookerFan

It's all very odd, and it's difficult to decide what the point of it all is. Even if Ebdon did feel it was true, and felt a moral obligation, it seems an odd thing for World Snooker to announce.

Imagine the meeting between Ebdon and Hearn.

Peter: Excuse me, may I ask a favour?
Barry: Sure, Peter, my door is always open.
Peter: I haven't practised a lot, and don't want the fans at the qualifiers to feel ripped off. Maybe we could issue something of a statement to announce I'll probably be playing badly?
Barry: What the buck? Get out of here....

<laugh>

Postby Noel

SnookerFan wrote:Imagine the meeting between Ebdon and Hearn.

Peter: Excuse me, may I ask a favour?
Barry: Sure, Peter, my door is always open.
Peter: I haven't practised a lot, and don't want the fans at the qualifiers to feel ripped off. Maybe we could issue something of a statement to announce I'll probably be playing badly?
Barry: What the buck? Get out of here....
<laugh>

+ Barry: I'll deal with you in September!

=o)

Noel