Post a reply

Re: Q School 2018

Postby The_Abbott

are more ex pro's entering because they have a chance to be on the B circuit next year?

Postby Alex0paul

No Bagley

Postby kolompar

mick745 wrote:A few ex pro's there. Didn't see Tony Drago's name though.

:-(

But there is a real legend returning, Poomjaeng :D

Seems to be more Asian players now that there are no tour cards for the Asian champions, 3 Iranians and Korea's Lee Daegyu also giving it a go.
Corey Deuel back to get humiliated again, joined by another American Ahmed Elsayed but no other players from the Americas, Africa and only 1 Australian. Still 29 countries and I see there are former pros Stefan Mazrocis and Richard Somauroo who used to represent the Netherlands and Mauritius but are there as English now.

Postby mick745

Noticed the name of Iulian Boiko on the list - a young Ukrainian player. Cuetracker gives his age as 12. Therefore in the unlikely event he were to qualify he wouldn't be allowed to play in any tournaments anyway.

Postby acesinc

kolompar wrote:...
Corey Deuel back to get humiliated again, joined by another American Ahmed Elsayed but no other players from the Americas, Africa and only 1 Australian. ....

Low blow Kolompar. Corey Deuel is 40 years old and doing this because he wants to, not to earn your respect. I admire him for trying. It is merely personal motivation, far too lacking in so many. He is one of a handful of people in the USA who have managed to make a living playing a cue sport and he is comfortable enough and has earned enough sponsorship to expand his horizons and I can only applaud him for it, success or no. If I could, I would give Q School a go next season in my mid-50's and I would not be humiliated if I didn't score a single point. I would be proud of my effort. Some success from Corey could only expand the market in the USA which I believe that no one could argue would be a bad thing for the sport. Just as we have a relative low number of American Football players but we have millions of "armchair quarterbacks", so with the success of Corey and other pioneers like him might we continue to have a relative low number of players as we do now, but the opportunity to gain millions upon millions of "armchair snooker players" and see the sport expand beyond its current geographical boundaries.

I believe an apology is in order.

Postby kolompar

Sorry Aces, didn't really mean it. Just thought it was a bit odd that he keeps coming back for a serious event with a £1000 entry fee despite having no chance. I also like to feel snooker is the superior cue sport <laugh>
But I have respect for Corey for giving it a go, and I really hope he can do well here <ok>

Postby acesinc

kolompar wrote:Sorry Aces, didn't really mean it. Just thought it was a bit odd that he keeps coming back for a serious event with a £1000 entry fee despite having no chance. I also like to feel snooker is the superior cue sport <laugh>
But I have respect for Corey for giving it a go, and I really hope he can do well here <ok>

Thanks Kolompar, you are a good bloke. From all accounts, Corey is a nice guy; I have not had opportunity to meet him yet though I expect I will one day. I believe that he has truly fallen in love with the game and is in process of exploring it to the fullest. He is certainly not doing it for the money or fame; continuing on the pool table would more financially rewarding for him and would keep him in more of a comfort zone I expect. And a lot of American pool players seem to have on eye on him at Q School which can only be good for the Game in the USA in the long term.

As for Ahmed, another really nice chap but I have to admit that I am not a fan of his snooker style. Peter Ebdon plays in a frenzy by comparison. Ahmed is a three time USA champion, utterly whooped me the one match I have played against him (with a solid break of 66), and one of the few people I have met over here that I believe has a true talent for the game and he has been honing it for a lot of years, unlike Corey who to the best of my knowledge just played his first frame of Snooker five years ago, aged 35 at the time. Ahmed has represented the USA respectably at the World Amateur Championships quite a few times as well. Like Corey Deuel, his chances at Q School are realistically slim to none, but if having a good chance of winning the Tour Cards were the only motivation for going, the total field would be six or eight, not 190.

So best of luck to the Yanks and all the contenders!

Postby kolompar

acesinc wrote:Thanks Kolompar, you are a good bloke.

I would like snooker to be more global and the US would be one of the biggest markets for it. I don't think World Snooker does enough so it's good to have people who help promote it there, like Corey, or you with your club :hatoff:

Postby mick745

Wang Yuchen's name seems to be on the list of entries. Don't know why he would have entered as he is still on tour and if he does well enough in the world championship he will have wasted £600? Unless it is another player with the same name?

I assume Jamie Trump is Judd's brother?

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:Wang Yuchen's name seems to be on the list of entries. Don't know why he would have entered as he is still on tour and if he does well enough in the world championship he will have wasted £600? Unless it is another player with the same name?

Doesn't say much for your confidence levels if you've applied before you have to. Jamie Curtis-Barrett did the same but won't have wasted his money as he was relegated yesterday.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Wang Yuchen's name seems to be on the list of entries. Don't know why he would have entered as he is still on tour and if he does well enough in the world championship he will have wasted £600? Unless it is another player with the same name?

He's Donald's son.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:My friend Richard is in Q-School. He has been practising hard

Your club is a hotbed of talent by all accounts. Good luck to him.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:My friend Richard is in Q-School. He has been practising hard

Your club is a hotbed of talent by all accounts. Good luck to him.

Yeah - good club.

Two others are realistic Q School candidates for next year.

I will aim for 2020 :win: