Post a reply

Cathedral to hold Higgins's funeral

Postby Wildey

THE funeral of Alex "Hurricane" Higgins will take place next Monday at St Anne's Cathedral.
Despite speculation that he would be buried from Belfast city hall in a service similar to that of fellow sporting hero George Best, it is believed Higgins's family want his funeral to be held at St Anne's, where his parents were married.

There are also unconfirmed reports that the south Belfast snooker ace was christened there.

Speaking to the News Letter, a spokesperson for Belfast city council said Higgins's funeral arrangements were "a matter for the family", and confirmed that no approach had been made to hold the funeral at city hall.

It is believed the Higgins family still do not know the cause of his death, although a post-mortem examination was due to be carried out yesterday.

More on the Story Here http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/Cathed ... 6443138.jp

So its on Monday 2nd of August.

Re: Cathedral to hold Higgins's funeral

Postby SnookerFan

Yes, definately the family should get the say on how things are handled. I wonder if there are any celebrations of his life -for want of a better term- after the funeral. How highly is he regarded in Ireland? Does he have the same level of fame as George Best? Over here in the backwards civilisation known as England, I knew 23-year olds who had no idea who he was. In fact, I knew people my own age (30) that didn't.

I was actually reading that one of the airports in Ireland was thinking of changing it's name, so it could be named after a celebrity the other day. Dublin, I think. Obviously, not the correct town. But it'd be good if something like that happened in Belfast, if something was named in his honour.

Postby Wildey

but i know of 30 year olds that didn't know who or what george best did.

Postby Roland

I can't believe Belfast City Airport is now known as George Best airport. He played a bit of a football, shagged a few fit women and was a celebrity alcoholic for most of the rest of his life which is all I remember him for. What an icon :huh2:

So a statue of Alex outside the Crucible, sure. But for that matter there should be one of John Spencer too. But renaming an airport - not my bag really.

And then you've also got Liverpool airport which is now John Lennon Airport - fair enough I guess, but the logo "Above us only sky" is everywhere and it's totally meaningless.

Rant over :santa:

Postby N_Castle07

So a statue of Alex outside the Crucible, sure. But for that matter there should be one of John Spencer too.

This was a subject on the radio show the other night. I do think there should be something to honour Higgins but the problem is where does it end? As you said if they did they would have to do the same for John Spencer. And in years to come the likes of Reardon, Davis and Hendry. Years and years down the line they could be half a dozen statues outside the crucible so it is difficult to say what would be the right thing to do. I would suggest a statue somewhere in Belfast.

Postby Wildey

There was talk of naming the masters after Hunter.. who has won it most times ?

now a statue of Alex at the Crucible.. who has won there most ?

there must be something done to honour Alex but theres a danger of getting carried away with this.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:There was talk of naming the masters after Hunter.. who has won it most times ?

there must be something done to honour Alex but theres a danger of getting carried away with this.

I know Hendry won it six times, five in a row, and was considered The Master of The Masters at one point.

Of the top of my head, and being at work, I can't be bothered to go through in my head who has won and lost every Masters to work it out. <laugh> But Ronnie can't be far off either.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:There was talk of naming the masters after Hunter.. who has won it most times ?

I know Hendry won it six times, five in a row, and was considered The Master of The Masters at one point.

Of the top of my head, and being at work, I can't be bothered to go through in my head who has won and lost every Masters to work it out. <laugh> But Ronnie can't be far off either.

that wasent really a question <laugh>

but seriously where would it end you couldnt get in to the crucible there would be statues everywhere.

Postby Roland

Hendry is the only player who should have a statue outside the Crucible but he has to die first.

Postby Noel

wildJONESEYE wrote:you couldnt get in to the crucible there would be statues everywhere.

Easy.
Hendry's statue would be 7' tall. Davis' 6'. Ronnie 3'. Alex's 2'. Jimmy gets a plaque on the walkway.

[ lots of room ]

=o)

Noel

Postby gallantrabbit

Besty played a bit of footy then shagged a lot of women....You might not be a footy fan but over here in Brazil, the 'true' home of footy I hate to say, Besty is always mentioned in the top five of all time without ever having played in a world cup.
Higgins statue where the jampot used to be? <ok>. Outside the crucible? Nah no way.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Hendry is the only player who should have a statue outside the Crucible but he has to die first.

well his career died a while ago so is that good enough? rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Noel wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:you couldnt get in to the crucible there would be statues everywhere.

Easy.
Hendry's statue would be 7' tall. Davis' 6'. Ronnie 3'. Alex's 2'. Jimmy gets a plaque on the walkway.

[ lots of room ]

=o)

Noel

Though Alex only won once at The Crucible.