Post a reply

World Championship dress code changes

Postby motorhead

Dress Code
Sorry football fans…but from this year, spectators are requested to dress smartly in the arena. The Event Promoter requests that no sportswear or team sport shirts are worn. If in the opinion of the Event Promoter an item of clothing is not deemed suitable to wear in the arena the person will be refused admission until such time they have found an alternative item of clothing that is deemed acceptable.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/betfred-wor ... ders-fans/

Re: World Championship dress code changes

Postby SnookerFan

motorhead wrote:Dress Code
Sorry football fans…but from this year, spectators are requested to dress smartly in the arena. The Event Promoter requests that no sportswear or team sport shirts are worn. If in the opinion of the Event Promoter an item of clothing is not deemed suitable to wear in the arena the person will be refused admission until such time they have found an alternative item of clothing that is deemed acceptable.

That's absolutely absurd. What's the point in that?

Postby motorhead

SnookerFan wrote:

What was the point in wearing a football shirt at a snooker match at WC?

Postby Lucky

Any grown man wearing a football top at any form of social event (especially with jeans) should be regarded as a chav of the lowest order. Even most of the bottom feeders on Jeremy Kyle shy away from them.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

You're not allowed to wear football jerseys at Premier League darts nights although with the amount of alcohol being drank you would be asking for trouble if you did. I don't mind it so much in morning or afternoon sessions early in the tournament but people showing up for the final weekend in jerseys looks stupid.

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:My friend is wondering what's the position on crop tops and leather pants?

Fergal?

Postby SnookerFan

motorhead wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

What was the point in wearing a football shirt at a snooker match at WC?

Like any other clothes, to stop yourself from being naked.

Postby SnookerFan

I nearly picked up some last minute returned tickets a couple of days ago. Glad I didn't.

World Snooker have suddenly decided they can turn away fans that already paid, just because they don't like their T-shirt. Of all the pretensious nonsense.

Postby SnookerFan

People have had to pay for tickets a year in advance. Tickets went on sale before last year's final had ended. Also people travel from all over the world to see this. And suddenly they're expected to adhere to a dress code that World Snooker decided on 10 days before the tournament started? That's just silly.

It's not even given you a full list of what's on the dress code. Yes, it says no football shirts, but then also says "spectators are requested to dress smartly in the arena" and ; " If in the opinion of the Event Promoter an item of clothing is not deemed suitable to wear in the arena the person will be refused admission until such time they have found an alternative item of clothing that is deemed acceptable." So, is it just based on the opinion of staff on how you look?

Besides, what's the point to it? Does World Snooker think that it'll attract new fans, if the fans look a bit smarter? How will the attire of the crowd make any difference to viewing figures? Some guy channel surfing; "Wow, the guy in the third row is in a tux. I better stop and watch this....." <doh>

Is this just a late April Fools Day gag, or what?

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think it has something to do with the advertisements on sports shirts, Snookerfan.

So, is it literally no football tops and that's the entire dress code? It specifies you have to dress smart. Does smart just mean, "don't wear football tops"?

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:You're not allowed to wear football jerseys at Premier League darts nights although with the amount of alcohol being drank you would be asking for trouble if you did. I don't mind it so much in morning or afternoon sessions early in the tournament but people showing up for the final weekend in jerseys looks stupid.

See, that I understand. That's a safety risk. Where there is copious amount of drinking, refusing clothing that demonstrates team loyalty isn't a bad idea.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:It’s in the opening piece “the event promoter has requested”
BetFred want a monopoly on betting logos shown in the BBC coverage

Oh I see, sorry. I missed your explanation the first time. Should read more thoroughly. <doh>

Why don't they just say that then, rather than pretend it's because they want the fans to look smart? That's too ambiguous, and would make me nervous as a ticket holder that I wasn't dressed appropriately.

Postby The_Abbott

Andre147 wrote:No Coventry shirt Brian anymore.

Good.

It was the only time that Coventry City got promoted anywhere. Its usually relegation

Postby Iranu

By the sound of it, "no team sports shirts or sportswear", they ust want a t-shirt and jeans as a minimum. No trackie bottoms or anything like that.

Which if that is the case is fair enough.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:By the sound of it, "no team sports shirts or sportswear", they ust want a t-shirt and jeans as a minimum. No trackie bottoms or anything like that.

Which if that is the case is fair enough.

I always wear tracksuit bottoms to snooker.

I hope they let me into The Masters next year, I've already booked a ticket.

Would they expect me to travel all the way back through London to get changed? rofl

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think it's understandable. If you're paying a lot of money to sponsor an event it must be annoying to see other brands get free advertisement in that event.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:

I think it's understandable. If you're paying a lot of money to sponsor an event it must be annoying to see other brands get free advertisement in that event.

I guess.

I probably understood it wrong. When they said you had to look smart, and it was open to the opinion of event staff, I thought they'd throw me out if I wasn't in a shirt or something. As I said, all I ever wear is T-Shirts and jogging bottoms to matches. So in that respect, I'd never get in.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I take SF's point though.
They need to be more specific so that it is not up to staff discretion

Can't they just specifiy; "No football tops or any other clothing that bears sponsorship logos?" That would make more sense. And leave no ambiguity.

It sounds like it's a decision taken by sponsors, that World Snooker is trying to make out as their own decision.

People travel a long way to get to The Crucible, sometimes halfway across the world. Surely it's not too much to ask to specify exactly what clothing is banned and why. Especially when you're expected to book tickets a year in advance.