Post a reply

Ronnie O'Sullivan; The Crucible is boring / New tournament

Postby SnookerFan

Have you seen the comments made by Ronnie O'Sullivan in the papers this morning? Saying the World Championships at The Crucible is boring, and that Hearn's new '20-20 Cricket Style' tournament, hoping to be televised on ITV is the way forward.

I really don't want to start a anti-Ronnie rant, and am sure his fans are going to come up and say his quotes were taken out of context. But is there any need for us to hear that The World Championships at The Crucible is boring, by one of the top players in the game? I mean, if anybody who claims to be a snooker fan comes out and agrees that The World Championship is boring I really do despair of where the sport is going. I really do.

On the article I just found on the internet, it gives this quote from Hearn; ‘I haven’t signed the BBC contract yet,’ complained Hearn, imagining the headlines. ‘The flagbearer of my world championships says its a bit of a bore. It’s not a bore, it’s just a different game.’ That’s why I love Ronnie, offered Barry, ‘because he’s so left-field.’ This quote wasn't in the paper I read, so at least Hearn is actually defending the worlds. So, it gives you rise to wonder what Ronnie was thinking making these comments. I can't see Hearn put him up to it.

Looking at the idea of the tournament itself that Hearn is introducing, it's a one-day only event. Some alright ideas there, but a bit to gimmicky for me at times also. It's on ITV4, which is a good move, expanding to a new channel. Audience participation is encouraged, and the players will wear designer gear rather than waistcoats. Neither of these make any difference to me watching at home, to be honest. I can't think of anything more irrelevant than what the players are wearing. But if it gives snooker a fresher image and brings in more fans, I'm all for it.

On the down side, some of it is typical Hearn gimmickry which I am sure a lot of people on here will love, and I am pretty sure I will loathe. Hearn's old friend the shotclock is back (yawn!) and there's a 20 point penalty if a shot takes longer than twenty seconds, for bucks sake. If a frame hasn't finished after half an hour, the highest scorer wins. But worst, and most gimmicky of all, and I quote; "There are fewer balls, a Power Ball, which when potted means every ball potted counts double for two minutes". <doh>

I know in disliking those gimmicks, it's just my personal opinion, and if I don't like what I see in this tournament I can stop watching. It's not going to involving ranking points I'm sure, so essentially could just be considered a 'bit of fun' snooker, rather than a serious snooker tournament. Even so, can any of us, hand on heart, say that this idea sounds more exciting than the World Championships?

People who think The Crucible is boring = :bird:
Last edited by SnookerFan on 06 Dec 2023, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan; The Crucible is boring / New tourname

Postby Roland

Power Snooker sounds like fun although the rules need simplifying (especially the baulk like one) and I'm not a fan of timed anything, how are the kids meant to play it in their local club?

But let's face it, the whole idea is very very ITV. There is only one channel who would screen such a thing. Remember the thing they tried a few years back like a mixture of pool and snooker? This is basically that, part 2.

To suggets it's the future of snooker is absolutely laughable. But I will watch it and I will probably enjoy it. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

But Ronnie's comments.... dear me :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Postby SnookerFan

I must apologise for the original post being a bit all over the place. When I saw it in The Metro this morning, the article was basically a paragraph or so basically going; "Ronnie says Snooker's World Championship is boring, and it should be modified by Barry Hearn. Ps.These quotes were made at a press conference launching a new tournament, or something." I think it was sensationalising the least important part of the press conference. As I was typing, I was already reading the format, so I got more into discussing that. <laugh>

It's hard to hate this tournament, as it's a one-day none-ranker. It's not going make any difference to anything, and being that it's on ITV4 rather then ITV, you could probably go the whole day and not notice it was on. I doubt the papers will pick it up. It's one of those; "Don't like it, don't watch it" type ideas.

I do think Hearn and Ronnie are perhaps making a bit too much of a meal out of it. Calling it the future of snooker, more interesting than The Crucible, is somewhat over the top. But if people watch it and enjoy it, so be it.

Postby N_Castle07

SnookerFan wrote:I must apologise for the original post being a bit all over the place. When I saw it in The Metro this morning, the article was basically a paragraph or so basically going; "Ronnie says Snooker's World Championship is boring, and it should be modified by Barry Hearn. Ps.These quotes were made at a press conference launching a new tournament, or something." I think it was sensationalising the least important part of the press conference. As I was typing, I was already reading the format, so I got more into discussing that. <laugh>

It's hard to hate this tournament, as it's a one-day none-ranker. It's not going make any difference to anything, and being that it's on ITV4 rather then ITV, you could probably go the whole day and not notice it was on. I doubt the papers will pick it up. It's one of those; "Don't like it, don't watch it" type ideas.

I do think Hearn and Ronnie are perhaps making a bit too much of a meal out of it. Calling it the future of snooker, more interesting then The Crucible, is somewhat over the top. But if people watch it and enjoy it, so be it.

Yes exactly one day none ranker no harm done. Lets face it this will be a bit of fun and will show the players character. I very much doubt that the event will have a second year tho. And I don’t want to seem as I’m jumping on the Ronnie bashing band wagon but saying the World Championships is boring is idiotic, untrue and damaging to the game, broadcasters and sponsors. <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:
Yes exactly one day none ranker no harm done. Lets face it this will be a bit of fun and will show the players character. I very much doubt that the event will have a second year tho. And I don’t want to seem as I’m jumping on the Ronnie bashing band wagon but saying the World Championships is boring is idiotic, untrue and damaging to the game, broadcasters and sponsors. <doh>

At least Hearn had the sense to jump in and say something, rather than sit there and look confused, which would've given credence to what Ronnie said. I think they should stop using Ronnie for publicity. Despite his popularity, he just can't do it. A new tournament is being advertised, and the main talking point ends up being how much of a wally Ronnie has made of himself.

I'm in two minds about this tournament. It's in London, so technically could go for the day, and be at home to sleep in my own bed. But I think it'll be just to gimmicky for me, and don't want to give the concept credence by paying to watch it. I might wait until The Masters for my London snooker fix.

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn isnt Stupid he knows like us the bullocks Ronnie speaks sometime lol...

Ronnie would Like a 1 day shot clock World Championship played in his front garden.....thats never going to happen the World Championship is the only tournament thats last the test of time others have gone up and down like a YO YO.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:Barry Hearn isnt Stupid he knows like us the bullocks Ronnie speaks sometime lol...

Ronnie would Like a 1 day shot clock World Championship played in his front garden.....thats never going to happen the World Championship is the only tournament thats last the test of time others have gone up and down like a YO YO.

His front garden? That means he has to go outside? Surely his living room or bedroom would be more appropriate. And Selby and Ebdon aren't invited, because they may take longer then five seconds to play a shot. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:It sounds like the sort of thing where you can turn up and get snake hissed whilst watching though so that's something different

I might go, kind of depend. If you don't count The Legends of Snooker I went to, the last snooker I saw live was in April, and that isn't going to change before October.

I just feel this is a gimmick or two too far. I could stand for a nine-red event, if that was the only gimmick. Or a shot-clock event. I don't watch the PL much on TV, but if it came near me, I'd visit for a night out Put shot-clock and nine-reds together, and you begin to think; "Hmmm, is it worth it." Team that with, your opponent gets 20 point if you don't stick to the time limit, a frame can't last longer than half an hour, and the truly god-awful, must've been thought by a drunk Power Ball idea, then I just think, buck it... Afternoon in with a beer.

And saying that, somehow attending live snooker doesn't equate with getting drunk in my mind. I make no pretence that I don't drink. I drink plenty, it's a bad habit of mine, and not something I pretend I should be proud of. But the last time I had a beer before going into a match, I had to leg it out during Rob Walker's build up to urinate, and run back hoping I didn't miss the start of the frame. I go to the bar for a few sometimes after the match, but for me live snooker is enough of a thrill that you don't actually need to drink. I drink the times I'm not at live snooker, because I'm so depressed about it. <laugh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

[quote="SnookerFan"it gives you rise to wonder what Ronnie was thinking making these comments.[/quote]
The guy has always had trouble working out how to engage his brain properly with what comes out of his mouth.

No point in ever asking him what 4 across is.

Postby Smart

My thoughts are this:

This is obviously the sort of event (like the PL) that ROS would be up for, be enthused about, and as he is "the name" in snooker its obvious that any promoter would want ROS to be at the launch selling the idea.....giving it some ooomph.

The problem is (as we all know) ROS cannot do what most would do in this situation and say "yes its great to have these other opportunities to ply our trade, and perhaps it will grow the game, blah blah blah".

BUT the flaw in ROS is not a surprise so why not hire him for the event but in a non-speaking capacity.

Beggars belief and BH should know this full well too. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:My thoughts are this:

This is obviously the sort of event (like the PL) that ROS would be up for, be enthused about, and as he is "the name" in snooker its obvious that any promoter would want ROS to be at the launch selling the idea.....giving it some ooomph.

The problem is (as we all know) ROS cannot do what most would do in this situation and say "yes its great to have these other opportunities to ply our trade, and perhaps it will grow the game, blah blah blah".

BUT the flaw in ROS is not a surprise so why not hire him for the event but in a non-speaking capacity.

Beggars belief and BH should know this full well too. <ok>

Exactly. Spot on.

As the popular figure in snooker, it makes sense for him to be there. And that term could almost be applied literally, in that he's almost the popular player rather than the most popular. And though some may credit Ronnie for speaking his mind, half the time what's on his mind is a bull which changes day to day. Ronnie wakes up one morning, decided he doesn't like snooker today, so if he's asked about it on that day he'll just say; "Yeah, snooker is really boring, I don't know why I play it." The next week, he pots a few balls, decided he likes it again. Okay, he'll bring the fans in, but is this somebody you want to help promote a new tournament. The guy who says; "Oh yeah, this is brilliant. Much better then that shitty other tournament at The Crucible. D'oh." You might as well have Boris Johnson doing the talking.

I think the fact that I made this thread almost duel subject may make it look a big segmented. On one hand we're discussing Ronnie's comments, on the other hand analysing how entertaining we think a new concept is. But I find this with Hearn, in a way. I know offering criticism towards Hearn isn't necessarily the done thing, but I feel his greatest strength (ie his salesmanship/showmanship) is also the thing that sometimes makes you not quite take him seriously. He comes up with a tournament thats gimmick central. Sells it to ITV, who probably think the only fault with this tournament is that it doesn't involve a phone vote of some kind. And then proclaims this the 'future of snooker'. It clearly isn't the future of snooker. It also clearly isn't 'more interesting then Sheffield'. You do look at it sometiems and go; "And this is who we employ to save snooker?"

What Hearn really needs to do is channel this elaborateness into bringing new fans through the doors to rankers, convincing television channels to show more rankers and sponsors to fund them. These kind of event may catch the eye, and be an advert for real snooker events. That's fine. But there's no point coming out, telling us this is going to be the most amazing snooker you've ever seen, you'll fall in love with it and want all rankers to be like this. That's clearly nonsense.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/3065409/Ronnie-OSullivan-bored-by-World-Championships.html

:bird:

I hate the Sun :roll:

Although I didn't know the power snooker has a top prize of £35k, not bad for a few hours play.

Postby SnookerFan

Once again, I see The Sun has considered all the facts before making an informed opinion. <laugh>

This is the quote I liked; "Snooker started going downhill when they brought a rule in that you were not allowed to concede a frame if you couldn't win."

Loving their overuse of negatives there. Either The Sun has misquoted him, or Ronnie thinks you're not allowed to conceed a frame after it has been won by somebody else.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:THE YAWN ONES ... Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins and Ding Junhui fight the boredom

This is the sort of bull they put in papers, to be honest. But it reflects the views a lot of people have about snooker also. This is why Ronnie's comments in public, however offhand, make him look a prize melon. If they're trying to make snooker more interesting to the masses, why have their biggest and most popular star keep harping on about how boring it was. It would be bad enough if it was the first time he'd said it. <doh>

Postby N_Castle07

Of course the media always twists the stories to sell papers, but Ronnie really should of engaged his brain before he said that comment. So an event which was supposed to promote snooker has actually damaged snooker because of Ronnie’s comments. Hearn needs to think twice before inviting Ronnie to promote the game. Ronnie seen as the games biggest draw says the top event is boring <doh> yes the media is scum but Ronnie knows too well how the media twists things to sell stories he should think before opening his mouth.

Postby Monique

Well this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 846972.stm? is actually an interview made at the same event ...
You wonder why the press just pounces on the "boring" comment and completely ignores this one? I don't.

As for power snooker itself I think the rules are maybe too complicated. I'm always open to try new things though and certainly will watch it if only to form a proper opinion.
Last edited by Monique on 23 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Noel

Monique wrote:Well this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 846972.stm? is actually an interview made at the same event ...
You wonder why the press just pounces on the "boring" comment and completely ignored this one? I don't.

Thanks Mon... Good Old BBC... Yet another example of why snooker has been in the international doldrums for so long...

BBC Site wrote:Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

N :grrr: EL

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:Well this http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_s ... 846972.stm? is actually an interview made at the same event ...
You wonder why the press just pounces on the "boring" comment and completely ignores this one? I don't.

As for power snooker itself I think the rules are maybe too complicated. I'm always open to try new things though and certainly will watch it if only to form a proper opinion.

Yes Monique we have all pointed out how the media focus on comments which will sell papers. For example the article I posted regarding Higgins saying a light humoured joke regarding betting. The title read something like “SHAMMED snooker star shocks onlookers with betting joke,”

The point I’m trying to make is for example I’m not a golf fan and if Tiger Woods was all over the papers this morning saying “The US Open is boring” it wouldn’t attract me as a fan and I would have no interest in watching the sport.

Postby Monique

I agree Noel.

and here is another article, much more detailed

http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Snooker ... ution.aspx

Posted by Sport.co.uk on: 23 July 2010 - 13:11
Author: Sam Elder

Sport.co.uk took time out from a busy news week to run the rule over an exciting new brand of Snooker, launched by sports guru Barry Hearn and endorsed by Ronnie “The Rocket” O’Sullivan. The new event, cannily entitled Power Snooker, will be a fast placed atmospheric version of the game, aimed at bringing young people into a sport that has been in the doldrums since its heyday back in the 1980s.
Hmm where have we heard this before? The launch bared more than a small resemblance to that of Twenty20 cricket, with the similar pessimistic murmurs from traditionalists fearing for the future of their beloved snooker. In the initial press conference, The Rocket remarkably announced that he finds world championship snooker, which he has won three times, “boring.” After a quick rebuff from Hearn, the remark was hastily laughed off. Clearly the former Leyton Orient chairman is keen to keep all sides of the snooker family happy.

Following the launch, Sport.co.uk caught up with Barry Hearn, and the world’s most famous snooker player to get the dirt on this new “showbiz” version of snooker.

After O’Sullivan’s controversial comment, we are asked Hearn: Why is snooker too boring at the moment? Obviously keen not to anger traditionalists who may fear that framed snooker is dying a death, Hearn defended The Rocket, and attempted to calm the storm that will surely arise from the older generation;

“It’s not, it’s really not. Snooker’s actually showing some amazingly good signs of life which is really inspiring me on the wide front.”
Okay, perhaps Hearn is prone to the odd exaggeration, but he sounds genuinely enthused at the prospects of his new invention. However, he insists on emphasising that the ratings from the world championships were up in 2009 from 2008. In actual fact they are still well below that of the 1980s.

Never short of a word or two, Hearn continued: “It’s really quite motivating to take something like this on. In a way you can’t lose because nothing was being done on it before, so i can look really good on this. We’ve got 15 new events this year on the snooker. We’re working everyone to death. The players’ are getting worked every weekend.”
Sounds like exciting stuff, and Hearn certainly seems inspired by the whole affair. After all, why shouldn’t he be? This is the man who has made his fortune by promoting successful sporting events such as Premier League Darts. Everything he touches in this market seems to turn to gold.

It’s not often you hear the words ‘sexy’ and ‘snooker’ in the same sentence. Although I’m not sure it’ll catch on, snooker’s chief believes his new game will turn the sport on its head. Hearn continued to outline the plan to attract younger viewers and players to the game. His new brainchild is designed to do just that:
“The way i see it is; my job is to spread the gospel of snooker to make sure the players can earn more money and get more opportunities. I’m looking at doing this sexy thing called Power Snooker. These are all part of the overall mix of bringing the game to a bigger audience. If i bring in new people (to the sport), some of them will stay and like the traditional game, others will say it’s for old people and it’s boring. But the history (of snooker) is unique and that will stay.”

As the head of World Snooker, Hearn obviously has an interest in keeping all sides of the game afloat, so it is safe to assume that he intends to keep investing in the world championships and other similar events, as well as Power Snooker.

Hearn was again questioned though - your top star just said normal snooker is boring? Again eager to defend his interest in the current game, Hearn laughs off O’Sullivan’s brash declaration:
“What Ronnie means is that he doesn’t like to spend 17 days anywhere” (referring to the amount of time The Rocket says he has had to spend in Sheffield, obviously not his favourite place in the world.) Emphasising O’Sullivan’s volatility, the entrepreneur continues by noting that “Ronnie loves premier league snooker one day, and Power Snooker the next.” Judging by his comments, I’m not sure the world number three would agree.

After things have calmed down, Sport.co.uk ask Hearn what he really believes the future holds for the tradition game:
“I think it’s going to be very positive. I think what we’re seeing is this huge explosion in Europe and obviously Asia; we’ve never seen anything like it before. The traditional game has its fans over here. But i just think those fans are not being replaced by newcomers, so we need something else to bring the newcomers in and then filter them through (to the traditional form). So it’s all part and parcel of the game. There is no ‘old game vs. new game.’ It’s all the same game, and some people will like some parts of it more than others.”
The charismatic Londoner seems eager to put forward the continued success of Twenty20 cricket, a game he sees as a kin to his new snooker model. This is also appropriate for Hearn as both sports have an older, more traditional version of the game. He is clearly trying to emphasise that both forms of a game can coexist.

Should this take off like twenty20 in cricket, do you think this could be the end of slower players?
“No i think slower players will have to adjust their game to this format of power snooker. Some players can’t adjust their game to twenty20 cricket, so they don’t play it. Some players may say they’re not playing it because they know they’re not good at it. So they’ll continue to play the traditional game. The difference is, it’s not one or the other, 95 percent of players will say “I’ll play both, i can adjust my game.”

Hearn also emphasised the effectiveness of the ‘one night event,’ he said: "I want players to play the gig and get out. That’s more in keeping with really successful events like Premier League Darts, where it goes to one town in one night, and if you miss it, you’re f**ked. That’s why you sell so many tickets, because it’s not on in that place for the rest of the year.”

Is this just a fad or will we be talking about last night’s Power Snooker in 50 years time?
“I’m looking at a two to three year plan. I think it’s a quick fix by throwing money at it initially which I’m doing to create more events. Is this game a replacement of Snooker? No, it’s a new development for the overall good of the game. The bigger picture is that, every time you pick up a cue, you’re playing some form of snooker.
"And if the younger people want it fast like Twenty20, and they play Power Snooker, then I’m over the moon. And i hope to convince them to play both later on. Some of the players will still like the traditional game more than power snooker; we’re having this momentous change in ideology, and in terms of the work standard and events. Power Snooker is part of that evolution. It has a chance to be successful. For me it is part of the bigger picture. My aim now is to make sure the ratings go sky high for next year following their recent improvement.

"When Twenty20 started, what did you think of it? I was gutted i didn’t own it. I was sitting there watching Scotland vs. Holland. I’ve played cricket all life and i was thinking; i ain’t watching Scotland vs. Holland. But then i realised it is so entertaining, i love it. It’s just another good idea that escaped me. It’s like Ryder Cup golf; it’s the best event in the world. I do the Marconi cup, and the Webber cup. And Twentry20 cricket is Prize-fighter boxing, and Premier League Darts. This Power Snooker is another version of it. And I’m happy to be part of it. It will bring money into the game. It’ll get you guys writing about snooker, then I’ve got much more chance to talk about other snooker."

Hearn and his World Snooker ensemble care deeply to protect the interests of the older generation, and as long as the vocal support is still there in abundance, and more importantly, it stays financially viable, Hearn could have created another money making machine.

Following our chat with the boss Hearn, Sport.co.uk caught up with snooker legend Ronny “The Rocket” O’Sullivan, the man Hearn has appropriately appointed as the figurehead of his new, fast-paced snooker. Wasting no time at all, O’Sullivan lays out his two cents for the surrounding reporters.

“We’re in a different era. I don’t even watch Twenty20, i just don’t like cricket. But I’d be more inclined to watch twenty20 cricket than a test match. I think it’s a different audience. I do think they will have to run along parallel because snooker has been the way it is for so long, and just too totally disregard the way it has been played in the past is not the way to go about it. But i definitely think by introducing these new events and new formats, we will bring a new audience and a new buzz because it’s live with a crowd, Power Snooker is certainly going to become something along those lines. It’s a one fun day event, its quick, fast and furious. As long as players perform and balls are going in the holes and big breaks are being made, and if the rules don’t make it so difficult for us to be able to do that, then i think it will be a great product.”

This game appears to have been invented for Ronnie. A new, fast paced, atmospheric version of his not-so-beloved sport is right up his street. There is even a hint of rare excitement in his eyes. I don’t think he can wait to get out there.

The Rocket continued: “It’s about introducing who probably wouldn’t go and watch snooker, but will go for a night out with their friends where they don’t have to be quiet; they can move around and drink. And then, if the snookers not very good, then at least they will have a good night out! It’s definitely about introducing the game of snooker to a new crowd.”

When asked over his preferences, O’Sullivan replied: “If i had the choice between playing Premier League Snooker or the World Championships, i would pick Premier League even though it’s less money, because i enjoy it. I’m at the stage in my career where i just want to enjoy playing. I don’t want to be sitting around feeling bored. Being in Sheffield (for 17 days) makes it quite an enduring event, and it’s hard to stay fresh.” You can almost sense the relief in his voice. No more 3 day endurance matches, no more everlasting competitions. Power Snooker is just pot, pot, and pot. Just how Ronnie likes it.

Do you think this could damage the world championships if other players think like you? “No, like i said, there will always be a place for it. This is early days. We could be sitting here in two years talking about something else. I think it’s something that’s worth giving a go. I definitely think Power Snooker is going to be something that will be good for television.”
While this is true, and similar projects have failed to take off, you get the sense that with Hearn’s backing, Power Snooker could be the next Premier League darts. It’s not so much about the Snooker, it’s about all-out entertainment.

As Ronnie continues to wax lyrical over his disinterest in the sport, fans will be pleased to hear that he believes this could reinvigorate his career: “I can’t see myself playing world championships and being away from home. I’m just not at that stage in my career, I’ve got to young children and i want to spend time with them. But i still want to play snooker. If i didn’t play competitively, I’d still have my own table and id still play my friends because i enjoy it. So if there are events that i enjoy then i will play. This gives everyone a choice."

Do you think all the players will embrace it? “I think they’ll embrace it anyway. You can see with premier league on sky, i think they’ve embraced that. It’s similar to that. With the idea of taking it into different countries there will be razzmatazz and showbiz aspects, and its key that the players look like they’re enjoying it then everyone will get behind it.”

The former world number one ended by stating that he believes snooker still needs its history, and he still greatly respects those who influenced him as a youngster, and continues to enjoy watching footage of legends like Joe Davis. I for one hope he’s right, snooker must stay in touch with its roots if it is to progress. But Hearn and O’Sullivan appear to be giving the game the form kick up the backside that is long overdue.

Postby Sickpotter

Those who know the game and a bit about Ronnie know he talks out of his ass much of the time but he does enormous damage to the sport with regards to attracting new fans and bringing in sponsors with these kinds of comments.

Quite frankly for a smart businessman I can't believe Hearn doesn't stick a muzzle on Ronnie before bringing him out in front of cameras to "promote" the game. <doh> He'd be better off bringing a cardboard cut out of Ronnie or a pre-taped video than letting Ronnie shoot from the hip.

Monique, still think his comments aren't a problem?

Postby Roland

Dave Hendon:

"To clarify: what Ronnie said was not pre-arranged. Everyone at the top table went out of their way to say traditional snooker was not under threat and neither should it be.

Ronnie's comments came after a question being answered by someone else. He chipped in, off the cuff, without thinking of the repurcussions, which is how he has always been.

Hearn looked pretty embarrassed but did his best to make light of it. When the press conference finished, he turned to the person next to him and said, 'now I just need to strangle O'Sullivan'.

However, I don't think the comments damage snooker or the World Championship. If anything they just damage O'Sullivan himself."

Postby Tubberlad

Look, I'm not impressed by what O'Sullivan said, and I also think he's a desperately poor ambassador for the game, no matter how awe-inspiring his snooker can be. That said, I cannot believe people are getting so worked up about this. The World Championship is my favourite tournament, and that goes for 99% of snooker's fanbase. Are O'Sullivan's comments going to mean anything? No.

Why are people so shocked? Expect the unexpected from O'Sullivan. And to be honest, I think much worse things are happening right now to be knocking O'Sullivan over some stupid comment...

Postby SnookerFan

sickpotter wrote:Those who know the game and a bit about Ronnie know he talks out of his ass much of the time but he does enormous damage to the sport with regards to attracting new fans and bringing in sponsors with these kinds of comments.

Quite frankly for a smart businessman I can't believe Hearn doesn't stick a muzzle on Ronnie before bringing him out in front of cameras to "promote" the game. <doh> He'd be better off bringing a cardboard cut out of Ronnie or a pre-taped video than letting Ronnie shoot from the hip.

Monique, still think his comments aren't a problem?

This could go down a dangerous route. Last time Monique defended Ronnie, a lot of people pounced on her and had a go. She has the right to be a fan of his, just as I have the right to think that he is an absolute tool.

If anything, this whole thing was an absolute cockerel up. Hearn should've known that the press would've quoted any faux pas ad naseum. He also should've known Ronnie had a history of making them. Yes, it was yet another stupid comment from Ronnie, but the fact that nobody on this forum seems surprised that he said it tells me that Barry Hearn, the man who seems to answer; "We're not idiots" to almost any question asked, should've at least thought of a different way to use Ronnie.

And the fact that we're all discussing what Ronnie said has overshadowed this "tournament". Am I mistaken here, or is it taking place in the 02 Arena. The 02 Arena? I just looked on the internet at prices. You can get about a hundred different prices, depending on where you sit and how long you stay. But they are selling tickets for £120-odd for the whole day. Those are primo up for the front tickets, but my god, you can get the first two session for The Crucible Final for that. In fact the first three sessions probably costs you £120 exactly, whereas Hearn is demanding £122 or something stupid for a day at this tournament, where they've funadmentally changed the rules of the game. In a venue that sits thousands, when they can't even sell out an upstairs room in a swimming baths.

You got to admire him for starting big, but presenting a version of the game where he changes the rules, in one of the countries biggest arenas, where you have to break the bank to get a days ticket? Is this really wise?

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Look, I'm not impressed by what O'Sullivan said, and I also think he's a desperately poor ambassador for the game, no matter how awe-inspiring his snooker can be. That said, I cannot believe people are getting so worked up about this. The World Championship is my favourite tournament, and that goes for 99% of snooker's fanbase. Are O'Sullivan's comments going to mean anything? No.

Why are people so shocked? Expect the unexpected from O'Sullivan. And to be honest, I think much worse things are happening right now to be knocking O'Sullivan over some stupid comment...

tubber his coments not going to help are they mate ....

snooker has credability problams featering the WN1 and now The Peoples Champion saying the Games Boring.

well done everyone :clap: brilliant top players we have in snooker NOT