Postby snookerbacker

Just wading through the press pack:

Power Snooker has a different, innovative look and feel, both live
and on screen, with vibrant lighting, audio-visual features and
strategic music stings, delivering energy, excitement, tension
and theatre.

Players are dressed in stylish designer clothing and mic’d up
throughout to capture their comments and repartee and to give the
audience the opportunity to closer identify with the players.

A fun, vibrant and edgy MC hosts each Power Snooker tournament,
connecting directly with the players and with four beautiful, elegant
girls to assist him.

Re: Bringing Power to the People

Postby Rocket_ron

snookerbacker wrote:Just wading through the press pack:

and theatre.

connecting directly with the players and with four beautiful, elegant
girls to assist him.

I agree and support this type of tournament :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

You suport this type of Tournament You should be with Seifer on Break Off.....no sensable fan Support this type of tournament just make the most of it.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:You suport this type of Tournament You should be with Seifer on Break Off.....no sensable fan Support this type of tournament just make the most of it.

here we go again <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

and theatre.

connecting directly with the players and with four beautiful, elegant girls to assist him.

This power snooker idea has just won me over. A brilliant idea <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:

and theatre.

connecting directly with the players and with four beautiful, elegant girls to assist him.

This power snooker idea has just won me over. A brilliant idea <ok>

well done lad, us young uns know the score, these old guys (cough wild cough) stuck in there old fashioned ways

Postby Noel

[quote="thetubberladfour beautiful, elegant girls to assist him.[/quote]
This power snooker idea has just won me over. A brilliant idea <ok>[/quote]

They have harem of beautiful naked women spotting balls and chaulking
cues at the PTCs . Rumour has it.

=o\

Noel

Postby Casey

Oh dear Ronnie, not the best thing to say. I am not sure if he is saying it because he hasn't done as well at the worlds as in other events or he truly finds it boring? Either way he is on his own as all the other players talk about how special the crucible and the world championship is. The fans....well we can't get enough of it.

If you find the WC boring as a player or a fan, you are in the wrong sport. <ok>

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:

Oh dear Ronnie, not the best thing to say. I am not sure if he is saying it because he hasn't done as well at the worlds as in other events or he truly finds it boring? Either way he is on his own as all the other players talk about how special the crucible and whte world championship is. The fans....well we can't get enough of it.

If you find the WC boring as a player or a fan, you are in the wrong sport. <ok>

yes its time he reconsiders his future if he feels like this <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

<doh> I can't believe people still take comments like this from O'Sullivan seriously. That's just Ronnie.

Postby Roland

"I've got to be honest, I find the World Championship really boring," said O'Sullivan. "I've won it three times but 17 days in Sheffield is draining. People just want to pitch up and play.

"Anything new is a challenge. I definitely think this is the future of snooker. It is just that a few people have got to get their heads around it. It is the year 2010 and we are not stuck in the 1970s anymore.

"Snooker needs a new audience and the idea of a game coming to an end in 30 minutes is exciting.

"I can understand that people still like their long endurance games, but for me the excitement of playing a game that keeps you on your toes, keeps you on your edge, is something I am really looking forward to.

"It is going to change snooker. The crowd will love it and the public will enjoy it. I cannot find a flaw in it. You just want some excitement in your life and this brings excitement."

----

:frown:

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:<doh> I can't believe people still take comments like this from O'Sullivan seriously. That's just Ronnie.

i dont take jack rubbish he says seriously thats why i ridiculed it with him twiddling himself off to power play <ok>

Postby Monique

Indeed that's just Ronnie. Getting excited and over enthousiast with new ideas, and just speaking his mind on the moment... It won't stop him to try his heart out to win the "boring" event if he can do it, make no mistake! ;)

Postby Sickpotter

thetubberlad wrote:<doh> I can't believe people still take comments like this from O'Sullivan seriously. That's just Ronnie.

Normally I wouldn't but when he starts of with "I've got to be honest" then I take it as honest opinion.

Quite frankly I'm not surprised but to make such a terrible statement about the premier event in the professional game is just pathetic.

Just another example of what a poor representative for the professional game he is. :sad:

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... eople.html?
POWER (SNOOKER) TO THE PEOPLE

In terms of the professionalism of the launch, Power Snooker today made a promising start.

Journalists gathered at the Courtyard Hotel in the heart of central London were treated to a video presentation of the new concept by Ronnie O’Sullivan plus a press conference featuring O’Sullivan, Power Snooker promoter Rod Gunner, Barry Hearn, ITV head of sport Niall Sloane and Maurice Kelly of Rileys Clubs.

Power Snooker consists of matches of 30 minutes duration where points count rather than frames. There are nine reds racked in a diamond formation. The middle red is a ‘powerball’ and if it is potted all points scored in the next two minutes are worth double.

Any balls potted from the ‘powerzone’ – baulk – are worth double. A century is worth 50 bonus points.

There is a 20 second limit per shot and the audience at the O2 arena are required to make noise, rather than remain silent.

Power Snooker is designed to appeal to a more youthful audience than the traditional game. Players will wear microphones to catch their reactions.

The field is expected to consist of O’Sullivan, Neil Robertson, Ali Carter, Ding Junhui, Shaun Murphy, Mark Selby, Jimmy White and Luca Brecel.

It will be screened live on October 30 in two four programmes on ITV4, marking ITV’s return to snooker after nine years.

Trevor East, a former ITV head of sport, is in charge of international television distribution.

Gunner said that the plan was to stage a launch event and, if all goes well, have a global series taking in China, Europe, the Middle East and the USA with a grand finals in the UK.

So what do we make of all this, then?

It wasn’t Hearn’s idea but he is supporting it. “When Rod came to me with Power Snooker I was very receptive, as we should be to anything new,” he said.

“I was excited that this could help bring a new, young audience to snooker, which the game needs.”

However, Hearn stressed several times that Power Snooker was not designed to threaten the established form of snooker.

He said he had ring-fenced the ‘crown jewels’ – the World Championship, UK Championship and Masters – and left them immune to format changes.

O’Sullivan was less diplomatic. “I find the World Championship a bore,” he said.

“I know it’s the pinnacle of the sport and I’ve won it three times but 17 days in Sheffield is draining.

“People want to turn up, have a buzz and move on.

“Power Snooker is a challenge. It’s the future of snooker. People have to realise it’s the year 2010. We’re not stuck in the 1970s any more.”

Actually, Power Snooker is not intended to be the future of the game. It’s a standalone concept that nevertheless dovetails with Hearn’s ambitions to globalise the sport and better project the personalities of the players.

The truth is, Ronnie gets bored easily. Most things seem to bore him in the end. If he was playing Power Snooker every week it would bore him eventually.

That’s just how he is. If I were promoting a tournament he’d be the first name on my list of players but PR isn’t his thing.

I like Ronnie’s honesty and willingness to just speak his mind but I don’t agree with him. The World Championship remains a hugely popular sporting event because of the slow burning drama it generates.

As Hearn said, “it has created moments you couldn’t buy. It isn’t boring, it’s just different to Power Snooker.”

He added: “Ronnie’s not out of leftfield. He’s from somewhere else entirely. That’s why I love him so much.”

The first line of O’Sullivan’s obituary will mention the number of world titles he has won. This remains the ultimate achievement of any player.

His glib comments may have overshadowed the launch, which is a shame because Gunner, who has a very successful background in the entertainment and marketing sector, is clearly a man with bags of enthusiasm and the resources to back it up.

“We want people to get into snooker through Power Snooker,” Gunner said. “Twenty/20 cricket has encouraged people to watch Test matches and we hope to do similar.”

Perhaps the most significant part of this whole enterprise is the return of ITV to the fold.

Sloane has worked with Hearn through the PDC Grand Slam of Darts, which brought a large audience to ITV4.

“I didn’t need too much persuading,” Sloane said. “Every sport needs to look at itself on a regular basis.

“The trick with reinvention is not to destroy what made it popular in the first place. We don’t want to destroy the traditional game.”

15 red snooker will always be my preferred version of snooker but I am not against any form of innovation if it gives the players more opportunities and raises the overall profile of the sport.

Not everyone will agree – and they are perfectly entitled not to – but I think people should at least watch Power Snooker and give it a chance.

And it’s worth remembering that snooker only exists because other cue sports were changed and adapted.

100 years ago, billiard players regarded snooker as a fad that wouldn’t last.

Well, the ‘fad’ has done pretty well for itself and it should be relaxed about genuine attempts such as this to expand its reach.

I’ll leave the last word to Hearn, because he invariably has it.

“We live in a sh*t world,” he said. “It’s depressing. But every now and again you can do something to put the smiles back on people’s faces. And life’s always better when you smile.”

I think this is, as usual for Dave Hendon, a more balanced view on it and a good analysis.

Postby Sickpotter

Monique wrote:Indeed that's just Ronnie. Getting excited and over enthousiast with new ideas, and just speaking his mind on the moment... It won't stop him to try his heart out to win the "boring" event if he can do it, make no mistake! ;)

Monique, it's terrible for Ronnie to tourist the premier event of the professional circuit period.

I'm tired of the "it's just Ronnie" excuse for his unprofessional behavior, he easily could've talked up the new format without taking a shot at the greatest event in the sport.

Regardless of if he'll still turn up and try his heart out he's already told anyone who reads the article that it's boring. <doh>

How is that good for the game? :mood:

Postby Wildey

Good Point sickpotter..

New Fans thinking jesus Ronnie thinks Snooker Prem Event is Boring Lets go play football instead <doh>

not good promoting by a long way.

Postby Monique

Well sickpotter I don't think it's terrible, neither from Ronnie, nor from anyone else BTW. I don't see the big deal. It wont harm the game in any way, on the contrary, it gets everyone talking and discussing actually. He's just one individual and he is who he is. He's been the same for 17 years as a pro and nobody can be seriously be holding their breath over what he says.
I really, and honestly, don't see why this is such an issue. I don't see it at all. Sponsors won't take their decisions based on what Ronnie or anyone else say: they will judge by audience and visibility, that's all. They want to sell. They want sports that are living and talked about. The John Higgins affair IS really bad for the game, this is just a storm in a teacup ... and not even that.

@Wild... will YOU think that way? I'm sure you wont. Nobody will. I never watch football despite millions of people getting excited by it because, I - Monique - find it boring (I do). People who love snooker will not change their mind because Ronnie or anyone says anything.
Give people intelligence a bit of credit, will you?

Postby Wildey

as a snooker fan i ignore him anyway when he talks crap i know what hes about and the stupidaty of what comes out of his mouth at times but are we or are we not trying to sell snooker to new people idea of these events is to show people the way to Real Snooker am i right or wrong ?

so to tell non snooker fans snooker World Championship is Boring will not please the BBC and not encourage people to tune in to watch in April.

Postby Monique

This will be forgotten come April, anyway. And frankly I don't think it will change a thing. People who are not hooked won't watch snooker for 17 days anyway, and people who are hooked will watch it whatever Ronnie or anyone else says.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:This will be forgotten come April, anyway. And frankly I don't think it will change a thing. People who are not hooked won't watch snooker for 17 days anyway, and people who are hooked will watch it whatever Ronnie or anyone else says.

you missing the point.

what was Ronnie Doing there today Promoting Power Play so it was pointless then because people wont go because they dont listen to what he says .....so why the big promotion ?

Promotion can Encourage and Discourage well sorry mon but Ronnie hardly Helped the sport with Encouragement did he.

Postby Sickpotter

"Sponsors won't take their decisions based on what Ronnie or anyone else say: they will judge by audience and visibility, that's all."

Absolutely.

So when Ronnie says the premier event is boring what does that do to attract new spectators/larger audience? Zero. If anything it discourages them from checking it out.

Yes people who already love the game won't listen to it and will still watch but those who might have checked it out won't and that will hurt snooker and sponsorship down the road.

Postby Monique

This was promotion for the new concept and event ... and he certainly promoted it lol!
Wild, I'm not saying he did the right thing. But I am saying and I really believe that what he said there will be totally unconsequential for the sport in general and the WC in particular. Barry Hearn knows him well and knows what kind of things he can come out with, he knows diplomacy isn't his thing. If he thought it's bad for the game he would not bring him in such promotional events.

@sickpotter. People who discover the game will not start with a 17 days event anyway. You don't get kids into the game by making them sit for hours in silence if they are not interested hugely beforehand. People who come to the Crucible are fans already and none of them won't change their mind over anything anyone would say.

Postby Wildey

when i first herd this story i was nun plussed about it thinking as a snooker fan i couldn't give a monkeys what he says herd it all before but then i thought if i was in 2 minds to go down the club and someone says the entertainment was boring would i still go or look around for another club ?

Postby Sickpotter

Monique, people new to the game may not attend the entire 17 day event but they might be inclined to take in some matches if they thought they were good/entertaining.

You may feel that making these kinds of comments will not hurt snooker or won't affect existing fans but this is not about existing fans and affecting their opinion of the game. This is about increasing the fan base and comments like this will put off some who might have otherwise been willing to check it out.

I know you're a true fan of the game Monique so I find it hard to grasp how you can't see that this can have a negative impact on the future of the WC.